News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 04:35:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When you see someone you know on TV  (Read 8647 times)

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
Re: When you see someone you know on TV
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Jeopardy was awesome!  I wasn't really on the boards then.  :)  Alex Trebek was really nice.  He worked a crowd better than anyone I've ever seen.  While I finished in third, I was leading at the end of the first round.  I also made a ton of new friends and had an amazing experience.  It took several years of nagging by my DH before I finally tried out, and I'm so glad he did!   ;D

PurpleFrog

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:55 PM »
DH went to high school with and was very close friends through their mid-twenties with Wayne Brady, of "Who's Line is it Anyway" fame.

Please tell me they just drifed apart, because Wayne Brady is one of those people who always strike me as being someone you could for a pint with.
I love you, but if Zombies are chasing us I'm tripping you up.

Bobbie

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »
My husband was in the southern US training for the Iraqi war.  Before he deployed they let him come home if we purchased his tickets. We purchased tickets and I requested a vacation to spend what could have been our last family time together.  My boss asked how I was going to spend my vacation and I told him all about it.  He had the company pay me for the ticket (I balled like baby) so we could use the money to do fun stuff.  A camera crew from the local station meet us at the airport.  It was a win/win, we got a free ticket and company got good pr.

My kids sang for 2 years in the state capital building for the Christmas program that was shown on Christmas Eve.

My boys are on the sports highlights on tv for football when they were in high school.

A boy I went to high school with starred in a "b" movie, Guyver 2.  I was channel surfing years ago and saw that little gem.

My husband saw a classmate on tv being taken to jail after murdering his girlfriend.  That was a heartbreaker, so young.

pinkflamingo

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »
I know a few actors, some of whom have had parts on TV shows and in movies.

My most memorable experience was when I was flipping through channels a few years ago and saw a girl I knew in high school get murdered in a particularly gruesome manner on an episode of "Supernatural."

perpetua

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
A friend of mine was on Mastermind a couple of weeks ago and got to sit in the famous black chair - how cool. She's got a bit of a Midlands accent in real life, but put on her best posh telly voice for the occasion  ;D

Another friend of mine currently has a major role in a BBC prime-time criminal drama, which is a bit odd!

Thipu1

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 04:02:34 PM »
Once, our museum was to be the subject of a TV show.  The title was to be something like 'Unknown Treasure Houses'.  The experience was beyond surreal. 

The show was to open with the presenter talking about the museum while wandering around the reading room of the library.  I was dragooned into this because I was wearing a sweater that the film crew thought would make a pretty color accent. There were three other staff members wearing interesting colors.  We were sat down at a library table, given random books and told not to move a muscle. 

People in library reading rooms are normally taking notes but the film crew thought this activity would be distracting from the opening speech.  As a result, the four of us looked like we were dead bodies propped up in clothes of interesting colors. 

That was the first thing we saw when the museum was sent a rough cut of the show. Great hilarity ensued. 

The presenter turned out to be a complete airhead.  She was talking with a curator about an early piano in our collections and insisted on calling the instrument a harpsichord.  Finally, the curator could take no more and almost yelled, 'IT'S A PIANO, (expletive deleted!)

Another segment involved a curator of Native American Art and a small group of Kachinas. The curator explained the significance of these objects and the presenter came out with, 'Oh, they're like Barbie Dolls!'. (scrape the curator off the floor).

There were plenty of other boners but the best had be when the presenter met one of our Egyptologists to discuss a group of cat mummies.

He was talking about mummification and she kept saying, 'But they're cats' and he kept saying,  'Yes, they're cats but they're also mummies'  Like the curator with the piano, he finally had enough of this idiocy and said, 'So they're dead cats!'

When that line showed up in the cut of the show we were shown, the place erupted in hoots and
applause. 

I understand that the show eventually was aired with very heavy editing.  I would have loved to seen the final product.

blueyzca01

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »
I was friends in college with Alex Nevil.  He's been a character actor and according to Google, "most notably portraying Rebecca Howe's lecherous young boss Martin Teal on Cheers in 1988."

We were friends and I knew he wanted to be an actor.  He even took me to the premiere of Dragnet.  Imagine my shock when I'm watching Cheers a year later and there he is!  Sweet guy.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »
Mine is more like people I unexpectedly saw on TV (since I've known several people from college who went on to be in TV and movies -- one became pretty well-known since he was a standard character on one of the uber-popular kids' shows):

I was watching a TV episode and saw an acquaintance's face appear in close-up as part of the background.  I immediately e-mailed him and said, "Hey, am I mistaken or were you on an episode of TV Show?" (he was; there was a call for extras so he appeared as one of the college students)

I was watching a movie just two days ago and remembered that one of my college classmates had a bit part in the movie; I rewound the movie a little and, yup, there she was.

When I was in 6th grade, I was watching TV, and a chicken restaurant commercial came on.  There, sitting on a swing, enjoying chicken with her friends (in the commercial) was a friend of mine.  That was a big surprise.

I was watching a game show and saw as one of the contestants a woman my parents had been at odds with.  That one made me grrrr.

Oh, almost forgot this one -- one of my friends produces spots for an oil company but, way back when, he produced a local music video show.  He was in one scene sitting in the back of a limo with his sunglasses on and playing at being cool (or he was being stoned or both).

I was watching a TV episode and, unexpectedly, saw one of my theater instructors as a guest character in the episode.

I was watching TV a few years ago and saw an actor who looked very familiar.  I looked up his name and realized he was the guy who played one of the main characters in one of the theater productions I'd worked on a few years earlier.  I really paid no attention to the actors I worked with; one was someone who'd been a regular on a TV show I never watched so I didn't recognize him (all the others were unknown to me, which is funny because the lead for one of the productions went on to be nominated for a Best Actress Tony the following year -- different production though).  It was kinda neat watching the Tony Awards when they were announcing that category, seeing the camera zoom in on her and go, "Hey, I remember her!"

Luci

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 04:27:11 PM »
Jeopardy was awesome!  I wasn't really on the boards then.  :)  Alex Trebek was really nice.  He worked a crowd better than anyone I've ever seen.  While I finished in third, I was leading at the end of the first round.  I also made a ton of new friends and had an amazing experience.  It took several years of nagging by my DH before I finally tried out, and I'm so glad he did!   ;D
Thanks for the update. I am so glad to learn a positive outcome from game show experiences! (And I am glad to know that Mr. Trebek is nice and really does have people skills!_

Love this thread!

Hmmmmm

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
I've had several friend's and family members interviewed on television for politics and other issues and I have friends active in the food industry and will occasionally see them on local TV segments.

But recently I was watching rerun of House Hunters International and there was a US couple relocating. They guy seemed familiar but it wasn't till they showed a photo of him and his wife on their honeymoon 15 years earlier visiting the city they were relocating to that I realized it was  guy I had gone to school with.

But the most fun was back in the mid '80's a college friend ended up on the Price is Right during our summer break. The show was taped so we got to watch with him when it aired...all of us skipping classes. And he wouldn't tell us the outcome (pre-internet days so know way to find out if he wasn't willing to share). He won the showcase showdown and you would have thought all of us had won right along with him.

jpcher

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
Haven't seen her yet, but DD#1 is an extra in an upcoming episode of Shameless. Can't wait to see it! ;D

A big thrill for me was when I was about 6 years old and heard my own name on TV. Yup, my name was pulled from the Bozo Drum! I know it doesn't really count, but it was my name! My name was on TV! ;D

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »
For awhile DH worked security for a logging company. One Saturday night we were out with a group of his coworkers at a bar known for being extremely left-leaning. Literally a hangout for the local protest groups, anarchists and such (and this was in Eugene, OR, where these things are taken very seriously). We didn't think much of it, being a group of mixed political views who all got along really well. Someone in the group brought our attention to the fact that several monitors around the room were playing documentary footage of a recent protest and in the background, standing guard over the site and equipment, were DH and coworkers. We quietly got up and snuck out.  :P

I grew up in the area where Stand By Me was filmed and some of my friends from school were extras in a few scenes. That was cool!

Bobbie

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
My mom used to love Pawn Stars, reality tv in the US.  My sister told her it was fake and my mom didn't believe until she saw an "expert" they used.  It was someone I grew up with and trust me he was not an "expert" in any field.  My mom is shocked that one of her favorite shows was fake. 

rose red

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 04:56:20 PM »
A big thrill for me was when I was about 6 years old and heard my own name on TV. Yup, my name was pulled from the Bozo Drum! I know it doesn't really count, but it was my name! My name was on TV! ;D

That reminds me of a classmate we didn't see.  He got tickets and our teacher took all of us to the library to watch the show in case he got on camera, but they couldn't get the TV working :(.

I just remembered the time I saw a coworker in the audience on Oprah.

wildkitty

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2014, 05:05:16 PM »
My pleasant, middle class neighborhood including my house has become somewhat notorious in my city. The first instance,  I was home one Saturday afternoon and happened to catch a local news story. I glanced at the TV just in time to see a video of the reporter driving down my street. I had the "Holy crap, that's my house!" moment. Apparently, the police had done a To Catch a Predator type sting on the next block.  :-\

The second time was when a local sports reporter turned out to have a house crammed full of pot plants. Yep, he was my neighbor.  ::)

The third time was the worst by far. A man went on a rampage and killed his wife, daughter, mother in law, and father in law. Guess where they lived? If you guessed my neighborhood you would be correct. He then went to a former friend's house and murdered her, her young daughter, and her sister. He shot at several other people while driving. He led the police on a violent high speed chase through the city. He managed to make his way back to my neighborhood where he crashed the SUV he was driving, broke into a home, and took an elderly couple and their friend hostage. My house, my husband, me, my dog, and my neighbors had more than our 15 minutes of on screen time including national and international news programs. Horrible day and very rough time for those of us who knew the family. I will be happy if my house is never seen on TV again.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:09:35 PM by wildkitty »