News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 05:36:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When you see someone you know on TV  (Read 8652 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: When you see someone you know on TV
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 05:58:57 PM »
My former colleagues appear on TV on occasion (print reporters, sometimes called in as experts for TV).

A couple of my former classmates are now local news reporters -- I haven't seen their clips live, only online.

Several former classmates were Olympic athletes (swimmers and softball players) and pro athletes, as well.

A girl a few years ahead of me in school was an early American Idol finalist.

A few friends' pictures are in the news worldwide pretty regularly as an ongoing major story in my home state gets aired over and over. I smile every time I see them. I'm quite proud. 

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »
Not so much TV as Youtube.

My youngest brother, who is a wild'n'wacky kinda guy, has appeared in a couple of video clips for a local Indie group. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdY0aAAvQag

The beard on the drums is my lil bro.

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

Bluenomi

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »
My aunt and uncle are on the local news quite often since they were filmed in some stock footage your local station uses a lot.

I spotted DD1 recently for the same reason. Her childcare centre was used once and they reused some footage. I recognised her carer first, then saw her in the back ground.

BB-VA

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
My husband's cousin is an Honest-to-God Rocket Scientist TM (complete with Ph.D).  We were watching a documentary on one of the science channels (forget which one) and suddenly, without warning, there was Cousin, speaking on single-stage to orbit rockets!!  We had no idea it had been filmed - and when we got in touch with Cousin to congratulate him, he had no idea it had been shown.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2014, 09:05:50 PM »
several years ago, a neighbor friend of mine WON the Pillsbury Bake-Off. 

I babysat her child while she went on the Oprah show.  From the video, and what she told me, Oprah was not that interested in her or the recipe.  Friend would much rather have preferred to be on Ellen!

Friend is still totally into cooking, and completely normal.  :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2014, 09:46:23 PM »
I've watched a couple of boys I went to school with being arrested on TV. Not shocked not sorry. If someone tracked me down for one of those he was a quiet guy I would never have suspected him comments - they would have gotten he has been threatening to do that since kinder/1st grade and no-one ever did anything to stop him.

Sis once had to race to a phone to warn my Mom, she had been on TV. She had to testify against evil personified in a capital case. (Woman used her cognitively disabled son and some other cognitively disabled people to murder a man for insurance money). Dad had just passed away, and Sis hadn't wanted to trouble mom telling her about the case. But when she got mobbed by news people, she had to warn Mom before friends started calling asking why sis was testifying. (She had come into contact with them because of her job.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

demarco

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »
Several years ago I had CourtTV on in one part of the house while I was in another part of the house. I heard a voice I recognized. I darted back to the TV and there was a doctor I knew from thirty years before, giving trial testimony. I was surprised I recognized his voice after all that time and that his voice sounded no different.

I saw a college classmate of mine playing a small guest role on thirtysomething. I had never heard about it so it was quite a surprise.

Back when DH worked in radio news I used to see him once in a while on local TV news. TV and radio covered the same stories, of course, so there he'd be in the background. It was always a hoot to see him.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »
A guy I had a lot of classes in high school with went on to be on the morning talk show for a radio station in the nearest big city.  When he joined it, it was the "Guy1 and Guy2" show.  Not long after he'd joined it, it became the "HighSchoolGuy and Guy1" show.  Apparently he's quite funny!  (I've listened: he is.)  I have him friended on FB, and he has tons of pictures of himself with celebrities, taking amazing vacations around the world, etc.  When he bought a house, they profiled it on a TV show.

A fellow homeschool mom who I'm in a group with has a son who has gone big in Hollywood.  He was in a major movie a few months ago and was one of the leading roles.  It also had a *very* famous young actress who is very well-regarded in it.  Pretty cool that he got to meet her, as she was a child actress and has been in the business for a lot longer.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Sirius

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2014, 11:59:17 PM »
It was reverse for me - I was on the news.  Not too long ago a man boarding with my next door neighbors was murdered.  The street was full of police and rescue units, and of course I was trying to stay out of the way but also trying to be nosy.  We don't know these neighbors; they've barely said two words to us since we moved here over a year ago, and we don't know the man who was killed.  Anyway, I was interviewed by a police detective, and I couldn't tell him anything because I didn't know anything.  Well, a day later I was interviewed by a reporter from the local station and by a newspaper reporter. 

This past weekend we went to our favorite hamburger place, and the cashier said, "I saw you on the news!"  She told us she saw the segment about the murder and saw me being interviewed. 

FauxFoodist

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2014, 12:04:11 AM »
I forgot I had two more.

Both were former coworkers at the same company in LA who I saw years later after we'd all left the company.

I was watching some lame E channel show, and I think they were talking about fashion.  All of a sudden, a face appears that I thought looked awfully familiar.  They then flashed her name on the screen, and I realized it was a coworker who had fringe connections to the entertainment industry (she would occasionally work as an extra on a popular 90s TV show).  She was interviewed for this E show because, apparently since I'd last seen her, she had co-authored a fashion book with the fashion-designing mother of a well-known singer.

Another time, I was watching the Oscars.  My former coworker was a lovely woman who used to regale us all with tales of how her daughter's acting career was coming along.  One day, I was looking at People magazine and happened to see a blurb about a movie I'd heard about but hadn't connected that the lead of the movie was her daughter so I was very excited for my former coworker.  Her daughter then was nominated for the Best Actress Oscar so I had a feeling my former coworker would be accompanying her daughter to the awards show.  Her daughter won the Oscar so I was watching the end of the show where the cameras show everyone leaving the theater and heading down the street.  The camera showed her daughter walking down the street away from the camera, and I saw a familiar shape walking next to her.  I got all excited thinking that was my former coworker (I knew she was at the Oscars since, in her acceptance speech, her daughter commented about her mom being there somewhere up in the high seats where she couldn't see her).  I recall wondering if I were correct.  Well, when I saw the next issue of People magazine with pictures of the post-ceremony parties, there was a picture of my former coworker with her daughter, daughter's husband and the Oscar, and my former coworker was wearing the same dress I saw walking along next to her daughter so I was correct.  I always thought that was pretty neat.  I recently googled my former coworker and saw a picture of her and her daughter supporting a cause.

shadowfox79

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2014, 01:36:52 AM »
All the quiz shows have reminded me of another one - a DJ friend of DH's appeared on three UK quiz shows one after the other. Deal or No Deal (where she did rather well), Tipping Point and The Chase.

As she is both an attractive female DJ and an extremely bubbly person, it was no surprise that she managed to get through all their auditions.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2014, 02:17:50 AM »
So, I've seen people I know personally on the news quite a few times, for both  good and bad reasons - one of my very close friends was on our local station just the other day, for a good reason.  My P.E. teacher the first half of my freshman year of high school appeared on the news for a very bad reason.  I was on the news myself a couple of times while I was in school for various events.

I also used to cringe every time a certain commercial for a local grocery chain aired in my presence - I had just had a bad end to a short fling with a guy who had a speaking role in it.

Although not TV, I do smile every time a certain band comes on one of my Pandora stations, since I went out with the singer a few times.

scotcat60

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 06:16:13 AM »
My cousin was on an antiques auction programme. He is a dealer, and was shown examining one of the lots.

Another relative was on TV this a.m. with her guide dog.

Dawse

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:59 AM »
Several years ago, Channel 4 aired a program called 'My Daughter the Teenage Nudist'. It was pretty much what you'd expect from the title - a bunch of naked teenagers being interviewed, more or less. Imagine my boyfriend's surprise when a classmate showed up! That's much, much more of your classmates than you ever want to see, and given that they lived in a fairly small village at the time, it still comes up every now and then.
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2014, 07:52:26 AM »
My father used to be on TV quite a bit.

He was a local politician for most of my childhood (he quit in 1992) and from 1983 until the end of his time on council, he was both the deputy leader of his party and chairman of (or shadow chairman of, depending on who had control of the council) one of the most important council committees. Thus he got interviewed by the local news on quite a regular basis.

I was about 18 months old the first time I saw him on TV. It was pre-recorded, so he was also sitting in the room when it came on. I'm told I spent the next five minutes looking from him to the TV and back!

All through primary school and the early part of my secondary career, I used to hear about it the next morning, if he'd been on the evening news - usually followed up with "And you look JUST like him, too!" (which is NOT something a 13 year old girl especially wants to hear!)

His TV interviews also got him at least one drink bought, by (of all the random people) Lionel Blair (UK entertainer, not to be confused with any ex-Prime Ministers), who opened up the conversation with "Haven't I seen you on TV?"

Then there was the radio interview he did early one morning. It was all done over the phone, at breakfast time. In it, you could quite clearly hear my mother having a battle of wits with my younger brother on the subject of where to put weatabix... (Mum was utterly mortified when she found out, not having realised that was what was going on!)

I'm just eternally grateful that he didn't make it into parliament!