Wedding Bliss and Blues > Receptions

Question on Catering

<< < (2/4) > >>

Zizi-K:
So much of thai cuisine (especially the noodles) have to be made in small batches and eaten right away, or they clump up. Unless you want to do the curries, I'd skip it. The PP's advice to hire them for the rehearsal dinner is a good idea.

jmarvellous:
There's also the possibility of asking the Thai place to make plain or very lightly seasoned entrees and plain rice or noodles as an option in a buffet dinner, or serve sauces on the side. You could even grade the buffet as unspiced - mild - medium and include some basic/familiar salads along with the papaya salad or whatever you like.

(Says the woman who had nice pizza and salad for a rehearsal dinner and Mediterranean/Mid Eastern vegetarian food for her wedding and LOTS of finger foods and sweets all night long for people who weren't totally keen on falafel or spinach pie. We picked food we loved and knew was good, and people figured out what worked for them.)

Otherwise, I agree: That's what rehearsal dinners are for.

Lynn2000:
I think as long as the caterers and venue know and are cool with it, it's fine; it's just a business arrangement and as long as you are upfront and not breaking anyone's rules, why not?

But logistically, yeah, it sounds like it might be challenging. If you brought the caterers together they might be able to work it out. Or, start with the caterer you want most, and see if they have any ideas. Like, if the Thai caterer told you upfront that they can't do more than 100 people and they won't work with anyone else and they won't provide non-Thai food, that would have a big influence on your planning--either you conform to their specifications, or you don't use them.

I think it's something you could definitely investigate during the early planning process, but be prepared for it to not work out exactly the way you'd hoped. A caterer who can handle bigger volume and do a broad range of traditional and fancy dishes might be best for the reception. You could do Thai for the rehearsal, but if the people closest to you are also people who aren't adventurous, they probably won't be too happy with that option. I don't think I could get my dad to even walk in to a Thai restaurant, for example.

cicero:

--- Quote from: StoutGirl on February 18, 2014, 03:39:07 PM ---For a little more detail: Most of the people that I know are extremely unadventurous when it comes to food-meat and potatoes, and it is always the same caterer with the same food at every single wedding.  I, on the other hand, consider myself to be a bit of a foodie and I adore Thai food!  There is a fabulous Thai restaurant in my hometown that I would love to cater my dream wedding someday, though from what I have read, they have limited catering services.

--- End quote ---
I wouldn't hire two caterers; especially for a big event, I would want *one* person/team in charge of everything and not have to coordinate between two food providers. But that's me.

What I would do, is approach the caterer you know and ask them about a more adventurous menu. You may find out that the reason they serve the same food at every event is because that's what the people want. They may be dying to serve spicy Thai food, or pungent Indian curries or aromatic morrican couscous but stick with roast Turkey and stuffing because that's what people want. And sometimes, even adventurous foodies serve more pedestrian food at their wedding because they know that not everyone likes thai food and they want to make sure that aunt Tillie will find something to eat.

Please pass the Calgon:
Our nieces each did something similar at their wedding receptions. They are Persian-American and wanted food from both cultures. They hired a specifically Persian caterer and a regular one. The food was served buffet style (2 long buffet tables, both with the same mix of Persian & American food made for fairly fast moving lines), and there was tons of it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version