Author Topic: Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38, Update #63  (Read 10715 times)

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38, Update #63
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
B/G- We live in a townhouse complex. There is assigned parking, one spot per unit. There are also about 20 visitor parking spots, for 75 units. Parking is occasionally issue, as the spots aren't always obvious as the #s are marked on concrete bumpers and get covered in the Winter. The visitor parking spots are fairly clear as they are mostly separate from the regular spots, there are 1-2 regular spots and then 5-10 visitor spots in a row, spread out around the parking lot.

We have had people park in our spot/had our guests accidentally park in someone else's spot and it's always dealt with in 3 ways: 1) just leave it and temporarily park in a visitor spot (which is usually what DH does, though it irritates him), 2) leave a note so that they know next time, 3) if you have an idea of where the offending car may be visiting, go knock on the door (we've had this happen a few times when people have parked in the spot in front of our house, which is not our spot). Generally everyone is really polite about it, though obviously it is really annoying when it happens. - End B/G

We had company this past weekend and we made sure to point out the visitor parking to each of our guests and they all found spots. Except, we discovered hours later, that our friend Kevin had made a mistake and parked in the assigned spot that was next to a row of visitor parking, because the snow had obscured the #s and it was dark. He should have looked a little more carefully, but it was an easy mistake to make.

When he went to leave around midnight, there was a car blocking his car, as in actually parked behind his car, preventing him from leaving. My DH went out to investigate and realized what had happened. They went and knocked on the door but there was no answer and because it was late, DH didn't pursue it. So another friend gave Kevin a ride home and my DH left an apologetic note about what happened, giving our unit #.

The next morning the car was still there, though the car in the parking spot next to Kevin's car was no longer there as the car was positioned so it only prevented Kevin from leaving. DH went and knocked on the unit again and found out that the woman who lived there leased her spot to her neighbour as she has no car and they have two (it was there other car that was now absent). She warned DH that her neighbour had a bit of a temper and she apologized for the mess. DH then knocked on the door, very apologetic and the guy snapped at him and said that he was sick of people parking in his spot and the next time it happened, he'd leave his car there forever. He swore at DH, but did eventually agree to move the car.

DH was sympathetic, but he still thought the guy's actions were over the top and that his reaction to DH's apology was ridiculous. I'll definitely be checking to make sure no one accidentally parks in his spot again though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:01:01 PM by LadyR »

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Parking Over-Reaction
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 11:34:37 PM »
I can appreciate that it's frustrating to have someone take your spot, I've been there, but to yell and curse at your DH when he's there to apologize? And to threaten to leave his car blocking someone "forever"? He's going to end up with neighbors who'd rather have his car towed than speak to him. Doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

Zizi-K

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »
Yea, the neighbor was over the top. Your husband left an apologetic explanatory note. It's winter, it's an easy mistake to make. The guy clearly just wanted to pound his chest. Not very neighborly. It might be worth asking the association or management company to install signs on poles in front of the visitor spots that would be visible in the winter.

meraki

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »
I've been in Angry Neighbor's position* and yes, its aggravating, but still-- total overreaction. Feel sorry for the guy-- if this is how he reacts to someone unwittingly taking his parking spot and apologizing for it, I can only imagine how he survives the rest of everyday life.

*ETA: When this happened to me, I also parked behind the car in question, because I had absolutely nowhere else to park. I didn't freak out and tell off the person in my space when they came to knock on my door, though. They had been similarly confused; it happens.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:14:40 AM by meraki »

LadyR

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 01:49:50 AM »
I've been in Angry Neighbor's position* and yes, its aggravating, but still-- total overreaction. Feel sorry for the guy-- if this is how he reacts to someone unwittingly taking his parking spot and apologizing for it, I can only imagine how he survives the rest of everyday life.

*ETA: When this happened to me, I also parked behind the car in question, because I had absolutely nowhere else to park. I didn't freak out and tell off the person in my space when they came to knock on my door, though. They had been similarly confused; it happens.

See, in this case it was deliberately done to cause inconvenience. There were visitors spaces available. Also, the next morning he purposely left the car there once his wife had left and the other spot was open, it seemed he wanted a confrontation (he did acknowledge he had read DH's note and it wasn't "good enough").

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 06:42:05 AM »
I have been in your neighbor's position. Horrible day at work. Unexpectedly had to stay 1.5 hours late. Walking out to the car, the sky opened up and buckets poured down. Had to take an alternate route home due to flooding. Got stuck on 610 because feeder streets and other regular streets were flooded and noone could get off. (It was one of those storms that rivaled TS on flooding).

Got home still soaked to the bone, freezing, and someone was in my spot. Thing was we weren't allowed to park in visitor spots. I called the management number - they make an exception. Went in called my team, phoned in for a sub and took the next day off. (I have nearly 100 days because I never take off). I didn't try to get revenge. The management became proactive and started having security check plate numbers and parking and towing anyone not registered. The not parking in visitor parking rule was changed if there was something wrong with your spot you could use a visitor spot.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

YummyMummy66

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:31:22 AM »
I think the guy was out of line, although I can understand why. 

But, with this winter we are having, he needs to get over it.  If he is having a problem with people parking in his space which his near the visitor's spaces, then he needs to talk to management of the complex.

And he would not be parking behind someone indefinitly.  I would politely explain the situation once, what happened and ask him to move his car so that I could get out.  If he starts in,  I would politely tell him that you have tried to be nice and explain the situation, but you are done. At this point, he is illegally blocking a car in.  He has five mintues to move his car or you will be calling to have his car towed.  And walk away.

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:57 AM »
Has anyone thought of talking to management to get the spots more clearly marked?

Ok, as soon as I typed that it made me think of the "Just ignore annoying "advice"?" thread.
Sorry if that's what I'm doing here!
 8)

This happens all the time, on every board I've ever been on, including this one.  It's just something that is going to happen on message boards for whatever reason.

It's annoying, yes but it's not even my biggest pet peeve.  My biggest message board pet peeve is when I post a situation and someone gives such a glaringly obvious solution that it's almost insulting that they think I haven't tried it yet.  Extreme example:  "my husband beats me up daily, and I can't get him to stop. "  Advice:  "have you tried asking him not to?"  Ok, silly and extreme, sure, but I swear it happens all the time on message boards.  Oh really, I should try putting my child down for a nap when he's tired?  Wow, never thought of that.  Genius.

lisat

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:19 AM »
I am confused. Are you renting or owning the townhouse? I am not trying to be nick picky but if you are renting, how is she allowed to lease her spot? Wouldn't she be making money off of the townhouse owners?

LadyR

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
I am confused. Are you renting or owning the townhouse? I am not trying to be nick picky but if you are renting, how is she allowed to lease her spot? Wouldn't she be making money off of the townhouse owners?

Well, I rent, but I assume they own (most do). Technically I'm not sure we're really supposed to lease our spots, but at the same time its a hard thing to enforce. I actually have no contact with management, I go through my landlord and he deals with anything like that.

dawbs

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »
Considering that they pay someone (the neighbor they lease from) *specifically* for that spot, I can completely understand the irritation.
And, for all we know, they've had someone park in it 14 times so far this month, and assumed that the friend was doing it again.

And to some extent, it's effective.  It inconvenienced you and your guest as much as he's inconvenienced and it makes sure that you try to avoid his spot in the future.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
  Been there done that , from both sides...    The exact situation assigned parking right next to the visitors spots , snow and the only making on the curb in front of the spot.  The spots next to visitor parking are a royal pain, people miss count  and miss the near the ground numbers etc all the time. I've actually had a visitor , delivery/repair people double park behind and block me into my own spot too.

While I completely empathize with the frustration , its against the law to block someone in. The police at least in my area would have checked via the plate who owned the car told them to move it and scolded the person if they were in a good mood.  If they were in a bad mood they would have just towed it.   

I would have a lot more empathy if they left a note with their number so they could move the car and if they accepted the apology graciously and apologies for their own wrong doing.  You just can't get angry and trap someone, no matter how justified the angry is.

Tia2

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 05:06:55 PM »

I rent a place in a city during the week and a lot of people sublet their parking spaces if they don't have a car in town (I leave my car at home and travel up and down by train for the week).  I actually can't sublet as the management company won't let us and that would apply even if I owned where I live now, but unless a rental contract has such a term in it, there is no reason a tenant can't rent out a space they don't own.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
People may also get away with subletting despite the terms of the lease. It's an illegal contract and therefore unenforceable through the courts, but it could still be done, somewhat easily. Unless the management bothers to run a check on license plates, etc., which they may not do. Some managements might even pretty much turn a blind eye, because it's not like they care; the clause protects them from any involvement in the subletting agreement.

MrTango

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
In the neighbor's position, I would have called for a tow to have the OP's friend's car removed from my space.

In your friend's position, if I returned to find my car blocked in by an improperly parked car, I'd call for a tow to have the blocking vehicle removed.