Author Topic: Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38, Update #63  (Read 10528 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Parking Over-Reaction, More informed #38
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
Honestly, in Kevin's shoes, I'd have called a tow truck.  Yes, Kevin was in the wrong, accidentally, but it wasn't unsafe, nor was it preventing anyone from leaving.

Neighbour dude is a bit of a doofus.  You are doing something against the rules (leasing a parking space) and you make sure it is brought to other people's attention by being a deliberate bacon-fed knave when you had other options?  (Park in visiter's parking or move into vacated spot after wife left and leave a note on the car in question.)  That's just dumb.  And unsafe, really.  Because he has now potentially blocked a fire lane.  Sure, there was probably lots of room for cars to get by but it'd be a tight fit for a fire truck, especially if it was anywhere near a corner, where the truck would have to swing wide.

I can understand him being angry; he has a right to be angry.  I'd even forgive him a nasty note on the windshield.  But choosing the worst possible option, when you, yourself, are doing something against the rules?  Not cool.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Margo

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »
I agree that neighbour was justified to be annoyed, but wrong to deliberately block Kevin in fter he had received the apology and when he had alternative options.

It sounds as though better signage would be the way to go - is there a wall or fence in front of the spaces where numbers or signs could be attached?

lmyrs

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
If I was the neighbour I 100% would have Kevin towed. I wouldn't think twice about it. Sure, the OP says that Kevin made a mistake. But how does the neighbour know that? If this is the 10th time in 2 weeks that he's come home to someone being in his spot, can you blame him for extreme frustration? And, blocking someone in may be rude. But I suspect that it was preferred to a tow.

Now, given that the OP says that the residents are not allowed to tow but rather have to report, I would block Kevin in, so I could find out who it was so that I could report them to management. And, I'd report the OP and her DH too for not ensuring that their guests parked where they were supposed to. And, I'd do that every single time someone parked in my spot.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 03:43:44 PM »
For some reason I personally prefer towing to a more direct interaction, and that's if I were on either side of the situation.  It feels more businesslike.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 03:44:54 PM »
Blocking someone in was a terrible idea and I'm surprised a tow truck wasn't called for the neighbor's vehicle.

If neighbor's actual spot was taken I could also see him justified in calling a tow truck on Kevin (although it would have been nicer to leave it be as there were other spots available).  But if he is illegally leasing someone else's spot I don't know how he could really do anything except grumble, complain, and maybe leave a note not to park there.

mich3554

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
Actually, if I lived in a townhouse/apartment setup like this, I would consider it *my* responsibility to walk outside and vet my guests' parking spaces.

This.  I did this when I was in this situation.  I made sure whatever guest was visiting was parked properly, even if I had to go down to the lot to double check.

mich3554

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 05:26:38 PM »
For some reason I personally prefer towing to a more direct interaction, and that's if I were on either side of the situation.  It feels more businesslike.

That becomes an expensive proposition. 

I had to go help my neighbor retrieve her towed car and it cost her nearly $200. 

perpetua

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2014, 06:09:16 PM »
Why couldn't the neighbour just park in a visitor's spot? As long as he has a space, does it really matter which one it is?

Alli8098

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
Why couldn't the neighbour just park in a visitor's spot? As long as he has a space, does it really matter which one it is?

This has been my question all along reading this thread.  Annoyed or not the visitor had never been there before and there was NOT clear signage on the parking space.  The only indication that it was not a visitor spot was the snow covered curb.  Not saying the visitor was without fault but if I had a visitor spot to park in I would have instead of blocking the car to make a point.  And yes towing is expensive, my husband's vehicle was wrongly towed from our complex (still fighting with management on that one).  It cost me a day of work (which was not paid) and $241.00 to go get it at the lot that was 4 towns over.  I honestly would only call a tow truck if it was something that happened all the time, and or it was my legally assigned spot and absolutely no where for me to park.

If there is a parking alternative that won't get the annoyed neighbor towed what's his excuse for being an entitled doofus and blocking the other car in?  When did an honest mistake partially caused by bad signage (or lack thereof) turn into an excuse for a tow or a bad temper tantrum?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Parking Over-Reaction
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »
I have to admit I wouldn't be too polite if I were the neighbour either.  I would probably be able to not swear and throw a fit as I would have had the car towed and let the friend figure out where it went rather than illegally park my car.  I wouldn't leave a note that the car was towed either, I would just let the person figure it out on their own and hopefully they would be a little stressed out that possibly their car was stolen, etc. and that would be good lesson learned.  Just because something is an accident doesn't make it wrong and saying sorry doesn't get you off the hook.  The "accident" could have been prevented if the friend was more careful and confirmed with the OP he could park there.

I am typically a nice person but thing like people parking poorly have me see red.  If I had chosen to double park and I was towed I would be going after the person who had taken my spot (as I would have written down the license #).  Here it wouldn't be illegal to block the person in if the spot was rightfully yours (actually that is often the suggestion of many property managers to help solve the problem).
I'm going to disagree with the bolded. Having the car towed is the polite adult way of dealing with the situation. Very different than what the neighbor in the OP did.

He parked illegally blocking traffic. I can't figure out how you park behind someone with out both blocking traffic and the cars that park either side would be blocked in or out - unless he had one of those itty bitty smart cars. If he parked in a straight line with other car (If he would have been in the lines if extended.), then he is also blocking in the car behind him, and all the cars that need to drive past that pint in any direction.

He threw a fit and screamed/cursed at the OP's husband

He made the inconvenience last longer for everybody by not leaving info on how to contact him and fix the problem.

And to top it off according to the update he has NO rights to that space. I don't care what he is paying the person who has the rights - the rules and conditions of the complex say you can't rent out your space. He is breaking the rules and that means in my book he has no rights to the space.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MrTango

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »

I had to go help my neighbor retrieve her towed car and it cost her nearly $200.

That's the consequence of parking in someone else's reserved space.

Alli8098

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »

That's the consequence of parking in someone else's reserved space.

Legally, it wasn't his spot.  Therefore he has no legal right to have the car towed.  Only the person who actually legally owns the spot and/or management has that right.  If you are going to act like a SS and throw a tantrum you better have the "clean hands" to do so.

*Edited for grammer

miranova

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »

This is where I park my pod.  If I were the owner of the spot and saw someone parked in my space and there were multiple visitors spaces RIGHT THERE, I would park in one and seriously not give it another thought!  If the same car was parked in my space more than once, I could see leaving a note and/or telling management.  Parking behind the car when that's actually more difficult than parking in a visitor's space is nothing but retaliatory rudeness.  It may make neighbor feel better, but it accomplishes absolutely nothing and is completely unnecessary.   If there were no visitors spots open, my answer would be completely different, but I just don't understand the personality of someone that would rather spend their time and energy dealing with someone knocking on their door asking to please let them out than just parking 5 feet away and going to bed.

sevenday

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2014, 11:12:39 PM »
I understand the neighbor's thoughts in this case. He pays $ to have that extra spot, even though it is against the lease, and visitors are not supposed to park in resident spots (without being registered, I assume, as is the case with most places with assigned parking). 

On Kevin's side, he's never been there before, the numbers/markings are hard to see, and there were apparently visitor spaces open when the neighbor came home. 

In this case, I would have been peeved, but would have at the most left a note on Kevin's windshield informing him that yes, he was in a resident spot, and please don't park there again.  I would have also recorded his license plate number... and parked in a guest spot.  If that same car was there when I came home again the next day, THEN I would call management to get them involved - mainly because I wouldn't know what company they have contracted for the lot. Most apartments have contracts with specific companies.  I wouldn't bother going door to door because who even knows WHAT door that car belongs to? It doesn't matter - I put notice on the windshield, they're still there (or they're back again) - out they go.  Not my problem anymore. 

The neighbor committed two illegal things and one etiquette-inappropriate thing: first, illegally leasing the spot against the apartment lease; second, double-parking to block Kevin's car in.  The etiquette thing was seeing the note, refusing to accept it, and waiting until DH came to apologize face to face before he moved his vehicle so Kevin's car could actually leave it.  I fail to see how this actually helps the neighbor at all - it just prolongs the problem.  Scenario a: you come home, you see a car in your spot. You double-park it in and go to bed.  Your wife leaves at 8 am the next day.  You park your car in the now-vacated spot... Kevin leaves.  Your wife comes home and the spot is open so she parks in that.   Total time your car is illegally parked: 12 hours or so?  Scenario B: You come home, you see a car in your spot. You double park it and go to bed.  Your wife leaves at 8 am the next day. You do not move your car.  Someone comes to the door and apologizes - you throw a fit, move the car finally.  Total time your car is illegally parked - more than 12 hours.  Scenario C: All of the above, except you do not move the car.  DH is forced to tow the car.  You're out $$.  Scenario D:  You come home, car is in your spot.  You park in a visitor space and go to bed.  Your wife goes to work, and you move your car to that spot.  Kevin leaves. Your wife comes home and parks in your other space, which is now empty.  Problem solved - no need to write notes, fret, complain, get towed, get worked up...

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:20 PM »
I have to say, my sympathy is not for the neighbor.  At this point in my area, there's so much snow that you can't even see the lines that designate parking spaces, much less see any numbers painted anywhere.  So if a visitor spot was right next to a tenant spot, odds are good that nobody would be able to tell which is visitor and which is tenant without chipping away the snow and ice that's coating everything.  I don't think my duties as a host involve that sort of thing.  If it's just a matter of kicking away some snow, that's one thing, but uncovering a buried curb which may not even be obvious with snow on everything is another ball of wax entirely. 

Neighbor guy was also incredibly rude.  It's been emphasized many times here on eHell that you don't get to take your anger and frustration out on someone like this.  Even if it was the 15th time this has happened this winter, OP's guests haven't been the cause of it the last 14 times.  Going overboard like this on the 15th person isn't going to do anything to deter the last 14 people who've done it!