Author Topic: Should I bring it up or let it go? (sorry, long)  (Read 2532 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Should I bring it up or let it go? (sorry, long)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 03:50:03 PM »
The thing is (and I may not have been really clear in my post) I DID bring it up to Bossman last week.  I'm not sure how to be much clearer than to say " I really enjoy being in aftermarket, and I'd really like to stay there."  All he said was "I'm glad you're enjoying it, you're doing a good job."

I thought I was pretty plain about it, but maybe not.

So now you say, "I thought I'd made it clear that I wanted to stay in that job. And yet you have assigned someone else to that opening.
   "Is there a reason I wasn't considered for that spot? You told me I was doing a good job.
   "What do I need to do to switch departments?"

Be specific in that question.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
It's also worth mentioning hat this is a small company, ten people total, and the boss is also an owner.  We don't have any kind of formal transfer process or anything. 

I wanted to talk to Bossman today, but there's a lot of stuff going on with MIA employee...now isn't the time.  My supervisor, however, has recommended me for aftermarket in the strongest possible terms (I think he may have just said to Bossman, "Gary isn't ready for aftermarket training, I want Diane there.") I definitely appreciate that Supervisor is going to bat for me for sure.  He advises I keep doing what I'm doing and to not give up, because, in his words, "It's not over yet."

I think due to his health issues, MIA employee will be urged to take a leave of absence for longer than a couple of weeks...a month at least, possibly longer.  If that happens, Supervisor tells me that I will be first in line to move into aftermarket and that will kind of be my trial run; if I can hack it for that length of time, odds are the position will be mine.  Supervisor has been with the company longer than I have (7 years to my 3) and Bossman highly values his opinion.  He also knows Bossman better than I do so if his advice at this juncture is to keep working hard and to not give up, but also that now isn't the time to press the issue, I'll do as he suggests and see what happens.  I'm not on a time limit after all and am in no danger of losing my current position.

As much as I dislike inspection, I'm able to bounce around from dept to dept and I get enough variety in my day that it isn't too bad...I'm probably the most cross-trained employee there except for Supervisor.  And I don't want to even consider moving to a new company unless I actually lose this job.... I really enjoy where I work, which makes up for the boring days.  I'm lucky in my job; Bossman is a reasonable guy, my co-workers are fun and the work is for the most part satisfying.  I just really, really want to spend more time in aftermarket.  I personally feel it suits me much better than inspection.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:03:59 PM by GreenEyedHawk »
"After all this time?"
"Always."

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 08:32:46 PM »
The "what do I need to do . . . " question is the way to go, but it will help to give some reasons why your transfer would benefit the company.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.