Author Topic: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces  (Read 10034 times)

hajisaurus

• my personal blog - adventures of an awkward girl IRL
Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »
Hi All,
I work at a hospital where most of us are expected to arrive for shifts by a certain time. We have a designated lot where staff only park (no patients). I'm finding that a good number of the 'early shifters' arriving in the lot back into spaces more often than not. I accept that I'm probably more impatient than I need be behind the wheel, but backing into spaces takes much longer than simply pulling in and parking. I accept that it's probably much easier for them when they leave for the day, but if there's three cars behind you and you pull past a space, then reverse (without turn signal or anything) it's sort of rude. It takes longer, and you're holding up the rest of the "line" of people waiting to pull into the next space. Of course, there's no rule about it, but I just find it incredibly annoying.

MrTango

Re: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:28:33 PM »
I agree that passing a space and then reversing into it without signalling is rude (and dangerous), but the rudeness is in the lack of signal, not in the decision to back into a parking space.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »
They really should be signalling.

On the other hand, they can now pull straight out of their spots when they leave, which will be faster than most drivers backing out of their spots.

Unless you can find two spots where you can drive through one and park in the second, you will be backing up at some point--either to park or to leave the parking spot.

My parking preferences are, in order 1) pull through, 2) back in, 3) pull straight in. I have noticed that other drivers are much more patient for drivers backing out of spots than drivers backing into parking spots.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
I have noticed that other drivers are much more patient for drivers backing out of spots than drivers backing into parking spots.

Understandable, really.  If someone is backing out of a spot, I can nab it when they're gone.  But if they are backing into a spot and I'm waiting for them, I then have to go find an empty spot.

But backing into a parking space is not rude.  The failure to signal is rude.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Margo

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
I think one of the reasons may be more patient with those backing out is that it doesn't seem so deliberate. If you chose to back in, when there are people waiting behind you, you are knowingly causing a delay - you could chose to drive in and there might be fewer people around when you leave, so you won't hold anyone up.

If you're backing out, it doesn't seem so much as though you're ignoring the queue, as you don't have any alternative (plus, they may be waiting for the space ;-) )

(all 'yous' general)

My personal preference is to back in rather than out as I think it is often safer, as you have better visibility, but if I arrive at a busy time I will go in forwards (or f the car park is busy but not full, I may go further in - I fnd often the car behind me will rush for the space I *didn't* take, and then it is them holding up the queue, and I get to park a little further on with no-one breathing down my neck! 

Specky

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:09:53 PM »
It's illegal here to either back into a spot or pull through from the other side.  They won't patrol parking lots looking for offenders, but if you happen to do it in front of an LEO, you're toast.  Also, it's used as an "add on" charge if they are ticketing for something else and you are facing the wrong way in a parking space.  Too many head on collisions between people who are pulling into a spot and collide with someone pulling through from the other side.  Also, there have been enough instances where someone decided to back into a space, and backs into the person behind them (cause the person behind them couldn't read their mind).

MurPl1

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »
Specky,

Is that public lots or private ones too?  Other than handicapped spaces, stolen cars and registration expirations our police do not really have any law enforcement authority in a public lot here.  Essentially they can't enforce moving violations.  Like blowing an in-lot stop sign or speeding.

The instances you gave are private matters and would be for insurance companies to work out.  The police may do a police report but there's generally no law enforcement action taken.  And if you're in the major city nearby they wouldn't even bother to come out.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
Hi All,
I work at a hospital where most of us are expected to arrive for shifts by a certain time. We have a designated lot where staff only park (no patients). I'm finding that a good number of the 'early shifters' arriving in the lot back into spaces more often than not. I accept that I'm probably more impatient than I need be behind the wheel, but backing into spaces takes much longer than simply pulling in and parking. I accept that it's probably much easier for them when they leave for the day, but if there's three cars behind you and you pull past a space, then reverse (without turn signal or anything) it's sort of rude. It takes longer, and you're holding up the rest of the "line" of people waiting to pull into the next space. Of course, there's no rule about it, but I just find it incredibly annoying.

My "excuse me for living" alarm bells are starting to vibrate.

People are entitled to do things that delay other people, or that annoy them.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »
Not signaling is unsafe.  Backing into spaces, however, is not rude.

Just because it takes longer and might force you to wait, doesn't make it rude.  Just like it doesn't make it rude if you have to wait for someone to back out of a parking space when they are leaving.  People are entitled to be faster or slower than average.  They are entitled to stop and ask a question at the checkout and be generally inefficient with how they go about their lives.  None of this is rude. 

It wouldn't occur to me to be bothered by someone taking an extra 60 seconds to back into a parking space vs. pulling straight in.  And I'd only really notice that it's a delay, if I'm running late.  I'm generally impatient anyway, but my irritation would be more that I've timed my arrival to work for the last possible minute without taking into account contingiences (like traffic, someone in a crosswalk walking slowly, etc), so that a minor delay would make me late. 

BarensMom

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 05:53:30 PM »
I used to drive a company vanpool van, and one of the things we had to do was learn the Smith System of Driving.  Don't remember if this was Mr. Smith's gospel or just the instructor's, but they told us we absolutely HAD to back into the parking spaces at the complex.  After that, it was a rarity to see one of our vanpool vans w/o a banged up rear bumper.  My van was one of the rare ones because I parked far enough away that I could pull through.   It finally suffered the same fate as the others after one of my subs took it out while I was on vacation. 

Jones

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:25 PM »
Lots of companies here have a "back in, head out only" policy. This is because statistically, it was found more accidents were happening when first move was in reverse than when the first move was in drive. It's easier to see pedestrians or oncoming traffic in front of the vehicle than behind, after all. Also, in an emergency situation it's a lot easier to get out quickly in drive than reverse. So, back in parking has become second nature for many of those workers, who have taken it with them to the gym and grocery store.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »
Due to the structure of the car park I use at work, the location of my reserved spot and the parking habits of those on either side of me, it's far safer and quicker for me to reverse in than drive in.  I indicate left, then have to swing wide to the right to back into the LHS spot.  Most people get it.  One go to park in reverse vs two or three in forward gear because there just isn't room to drive straight in.

Other people there do it too - some fellow parkers tend to tailgate through the car park, making it difficult, but enough reverse in that most people don't. 

I do try to minimise the time I take to park, but no matter which way people park, at some stage there's going to be delays, that's life.

MOM21SON

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »
When did backing into a spot become so trendy?  I personally hate it.  But, I guess there is nothing I can do.

In my state it is illegal to pull threw to the next spot, but never enforced that I have seen.  There was a accident in our work parking lot due to that, but it was considered private property.

I detest the long bed pick up truck drivers that back in and cover the whole sidewalk.  That is very rude.

Alli8098

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »
I detest the long bed pick up truck drivers that back in and cover the whole sidewalk.  That is very rude.

I HATE that, I've had that happen in our apartment complex too many times to count. I don't mind if my neighbors are actively loading or unloading something and backed in for that reason.  But one neighbor who did that also parked practically on top of my car on the side where DD's carseat is.  After I got her strapped in and secure I attempted to walk to the very back of my car to get to the passenger side (DH was driving, it was easier for me to load DD as I'm smaller then him) and hit my shoulder really hard on the guys side view mirror.  It was dark and hard to see the big black thing sticking out.  I was sore a bruised for a few days and cursed that neighbor under my breath.  If he hadn't backed into his spot the mirror would not have been in my way.  But it did teach me to be vigilant, especially in the dark.  I will take responsibility for not making sure my path was clear.  And no, his giant side mirror was not moved or damaged.  It sure did damage me though.

MOM21SON

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 06:39:48 PM »

I HATE that, I've had that happen in our apartment complex too many times to count. I don't mind if my neighbors are actively loading or unloading something and backed in for that reason.  But one neighbor who did that also parked practically on top of my car on the side where DD's carseat is.  After I got her strapped in and secure I attempted to walk to the very back of my car to get to the passenger side (DH was driving, it was easier for me to load DD as I'm smaller then him) and hit my shoulder really hard on the guys side view mirror.  It was dark and hard to see the big black thing sticking out.  I was sore a bruised for a few days and cursed that neighbor under my breath.  If he hadn't backed into his spot the mirror would not have been in my way.  But it did teach me to be vigilant, especially in the dark.  I will take responsibility for not making sure my path was clear.  And no, his giant side mirror was not moved or damaged.  It sure did damage me though.

Yeah, It is really fun when I have to help a relative with a walker off the sidewalk to the parking lot to go around the truck.