Author Topic: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces  (Read 8183 times)

MMHou

Re: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 07:27:23 PM »
I detest the long bed pick up truck drivers that back in and cover the whole sidewalk.  That is very rude.

I HATE that, I've had that happen in our apartment complex too many times to count. I don't mind if my neighbors are actively loading or unloading something and backed in for that reason.  But one neighbor who did that also parked practically on top of my car on the side where DD's carseat is.  After I got her strapped in and secure I attempted to walk to the very back of my car to get to the passenger side (DH was driving, it was easier for me to load DD as I'm smaller then him) and hit my shoulder really hard on the guys side view mirror.  It was dark and hard to see the big black thing sticking out.  I was sore a bruised for a few days and cursed that neighbor under my breath.  If he hadn't backed into his spot the mirror would not have been in my way.  But it did teach me to be vigilant, especially in the dark.  I will take responsibility for not making sure my path was clear.  And no, his giant side mirror was not moved or damaged.  It sure did damage me though.

Yeah, It is really fun when I have to help a relative with a walker off the sidewalk to the parking lot to go around the truck. 

I completely agree that blocking a sidewalk is extremely rude and should not be done. But I can tell you from experience that sometimes it is difficult, if not impossible, to pull straight into a parking spot when driving a long vehicle.

A few years ago I took my car in for maintenance, and the only loaner vehicle they had available was a four-door, four-wheel-drive pickup. I was attending college at the time, and when I attempted to pull nose first in to a parking spot at school it took several tries of pulling up, backing up, straightening out, and finally scraping the corner of the car next to me! And at the time my regular vehicle was an SUV, so it wasn't like I was unused to parking large vehicles in this lot. This truck was just extra long and couldn't be maneuvered straight into the space. I then remembered that my brother always backed his four-door truck into parking spaces and attempted that. It worked on the first try.

But if backing in means someone is blocking a sidewalk, he/she should park somewhere else!

Jones

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »
When did backing into a spot become so trendy?  I personally hate it.  But, I guess there is nothing I can do.

In my state it is illegal to pull threw to the next spot, but never enforced that I have seen.  There was a accident in our work parking lot due to that, but it was considered private property.

I detest the long bed pick up truck drivers that back in and cover the whole sidewalk.  That is very rude.

When I took a Defensive Driving course, we were required to pull in backwards.

That was about the time all the safety departments were requiring their companies put up "Back In Only" signs in the private parking lots around here.

MrTango

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 07:43:15 PM »
When did backing into a spot become so trendy?  I personally hate it.  But, I guess there is nothing I can do.

In my state it is illegal to pull threw to the next spot, but never enforced that I have seen.  There was a accident in our work parking lot due to that, but it was considered private property.

When I took a Defensive Driving course, we were required to pull in backwards.

That was about the time all the safety departments were requiring their companies put up "Back In Only" signs in the private parking lots around here.

When I took a defensive driving course in college (required because I drove a University-owned vehicle as part of my job), they told us that we should always pull through if possible.  If not, we should back into the lower-traffic space.  Since a parking space is less likely to have other traffic in it than the lane, it's better to back into the spot and therefore be able to pull forward into the lane.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »
I had to back into a spot in order to pass my driver's test.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MOM21SON

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 07:57:49 PM »
So, I guess the trend began waaaayyyy after I took my license test.  I don't like the backing in for the reasons stated. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 08:13:21 PM »
I took my driver's test in 1987...

I back in at work because I only have to worry about one car.  For the most part, the first person in parks closest to the door and as we arrive, we park beside the person before us, pulling forward through the rest of the spaces and backing in beside the vehicle on our left.

But otherwise, I've never been very good at backing into a spot.  I usually look for a pull through and very carefully move into the space across from me.  But now that I have a back-up camera, I've backed into a few more spaces than I used to.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 08:16:25 PM »
They really should be signalling.

On the other hand, they can now pull straight out of their spots when they leave, which will be faster than most drivers backing out of their spots.

Unless you can find two spots where you can drive through one and park in the second, you will be backing up at some point--either to park or to leave the parking spot.

My parking preferences are, in order 1) pull through, 2) back in, 3) pull straight in. I have noticed that other drivers are much more patient for drivers backing out of spots than drivers backing into parking spots.
But the time you take to back into the spot cancels out any time you save pulling out later.  And every time you back and fill to get into the spot exactly, the ratio worsens. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

shortstuff

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »
Oops, I back in at work all the time and never signal  :-[  Guess it's time to start. 

Our parking lots are very high traffic, so almost everyone at my work (which includes professional drivers) backs into spaces with their personal vehicles.  I think it's much safer when leaving the space for me, since I'm very short (ha) and it's harder for me to see. 

I don't think backing in is rude, I never thought to signal but it really is proper as well as considerate.  But I don't really see what harm it would do; even without a signal warning they're about to back up, no one should be following another car that closely anyway.  If it's a coworker who you know well, or if you're walking in the building together, you can possibly try asking for a friendly 'heads up' signal before backing up next time.  Just cite safety and a lack of coffee in the morning.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
For me its about safety. When I drive down an aisle I know whether or not there are any pedestrians or cars to watch out for because I see them very easily as I'm driving down the lane. Then when leaving I can arrange myself, buckle, look both ways, maybe pull forward a tiny bit to see around the cars on either side, and I'm good to go.

OTOH, if I have to back out, I still have to arrange myself in the car, adjust my purse and what-not, and by time I'm ready to back out (about 30 seconds, not long but long enough) I have no idea if anyone is coming so I have to look everywhich way out the limited rear windows (much different than looking out of a windshield) and back and forth and sometime I can barely see around the cars next to me and its just this whole big drama filled thing.

So for me this really isn't a preference or a trendy thing, its absolutely about safety. And it does actually save time. :)

MOM21SON

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »
Yes, it does save time for the back in person.  The pull in person has to wait.  I guess the pull in person has more time to spare.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 10:40:42 PM »
I back in all the time; at home, where I park in the far end if the complex, so very rarely is there another car, and at work. Again, low traffic. At my second job, esp when working sat, I back in since I find it easier to see when leaving. Sometimes there is someone right behind me, and even though I signal, the still creep. But I don't think it's at all rude to back in.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »
Backing the car in is fine. Don't do it myself unless I have to (some spots, especially in main streets of some country towns I've visited are marked reverse park only).

It annoys me when people do this without signalling. One minute someone is driving past a spot and it seems reasonable to think they're continuing down the road, maybe trying for a closer park. Then their brake lights go on and they're suddenly reversing. So the car following has to break unexpectedly. A few times, a whole line of traffic has had to back up so the person can achieve their reverse park. That's inconsiderate IMO. Even at low speeds, moving a car in an unexpected direction risks an accident too.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2014, 11:18:47 PM »
How does one signal one wants to back up? The turn signals indicate right and left; there isn't really one for backward, other than the back-up lights.

I suppose they simply come to a stop right in front of the place they want to park, and wait for people to go past?

or do they angle out to block the road and then back up?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
They really should be signalling.

On the other hand, they can now pull straight out of their spots when they leave, which will be faster than most drivers backing out of their spots.

Unless you can find two spots where you can drive through one and park in the second, you will be backing up at some point--either to park or to leave the parking spot.

My parking preferences are, in order 1) pull through, 2) back in, 3) pull straight in. I have noticed that other drivers are much more patient for drivers backing out of spots than drivers backing into parking spots.

That's exactly what I do.  I've found that if you (generic) are driving anything higher than a sedan, you simply often cannot see small moving objects (such as unsecured children) through the rear-view mirror.  Of course the parents should not be letting them run around the parking lot but we all know that it happens.

For OP - since you mention the morning, is the issue that the extra time taken with co-workers backing-in is making you late for work?  IMO it's just one of the things you have to account for, such as encountering all the red traffic lights on the way.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2014, 11:28:38 PM »
How does one signal one wants to back up? The turn signals indicate right and left; there isn't really one for backward, other than the back-up lights.

I suppose they simply come to a stop right in front of the place they want to park, and wait for people to go past?

or do they angle out to block the road and then back up?

They usually just indicate as they come up to the spot, same way you (general you) do if you park front end in or when you do a reverse parallel park. Tapping the brakes at the same time (and slowing down) as well, also helps following drivers get the idea. That's what seems to happen here, anyway. Except when they forget or can't be bothered.

This wikihow on reverse parallel parking shows what I mean.

http://m.wikihow.com/Parallel-Park