Author Topic: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces  (Read 10506 times)

MurPl1

Re: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2014, 11:36:19 PM »
When did backing into a spot become so trendy?  I personally hate it.  But, I guess there is nothing I can do.

In my state it is illegal to pull threw to the next spot, but never enforced that I have seen.  There was a accident in our work parking lot due to that, but it was considered private property.

I detest the long bed pick up truck drivers that back in and cover the whole sidewalk.  That is very rude.

Many of them do that to avoid leaving their pick ups blocking part of the driving area - to be less rude to other drivers. 

lollylegs

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 12:07:09 AM »
Failing to signal is rude. Backing into a spot is not. The driver will be performing a lengthy reverse either going in or coming out of the park so some driver is likely to be inconvenienced  either way.  In this case, it's you. It's frustrating but honestly, it's a whole ten? fifteen? seconds of waiting? Why bother getting upset about a few seconds?

Lynnv

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
Not signaling is a problem.  Backing in, even if it delays someone else, is not.   Personally, I am with those who feel it is safer to back into a spot than out of one.   I strongly prefer spots I can pull through or back into to those I have to pull into head first. 

I do this both with the motorcycle and in my car.   In fact, I very seldom pull into a spot on the bike because I find it is so much safer to be pulling out head first.  People don't look for bikes well enough, so backing out is doubly dangerous, IMO. 
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:55 AM »
I always back in, as does my husband. Especially when driving the truck. My husband can back the truck into a parking spot faster then he can pull straight in. When it comes time to  leave, being backed in is safer for me and anyone walking/driving by the spot I am leaving. If someone behind me has to wait a few extra seconds when I'm parking so that leaving is safer; well, so be it. They can wait.

CakeEater

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 01:18:54 AM »
I find waiting for backers annoying, too, OP, but I consider it more of a pet peeve of mine than something they're doing wrong.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 05:58:56 AM »
Yes, it does save time for the back in person.  The pull in person has to wait.  I guess the pull in person has more time to spare.

But drivers have to wait for the pull-in people to back out. Unless you pull through a spot, you will be backing up either to enter or exit your parking spot. And there's the possibility that someone will have to wait while you do that.

I drive a VW Beetle. It's low to the ground and small. I also dislike circling a parking lot for a space, so I tend to park way out where there are no other cars and it is safe to pull through to a space. Then my car must act like a magnet, because when I get back to it, I'm surrounded by large SUVs and minivans.

It's scary trying to back out of a space when you really can't see anything except the tiny bit of the aisle that is directly in back of your car. Can't see if anyone else is pulling out, can't see if a small child has escaped from a parent and is dancing around. Pulling out of a parking spot is safer for me and for everyone else in that parking lot.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 06:01:58 AM »
They really should be signalling.

On the other hand, they can now pull straight out of their spots when they leave, which will be faster than most drivers backing out of their spots.

Unless you can find two spots where you can drive through one and park in the second, you will be backing up at some point--either to park or to leave the parking spot.

My parking preferences are, in order 1) pull through, 2) back in, 3) pull straight in. I have noticed that other drivers are much more patient for drivers backing out of spots than drivers backing into parking spots.
But the time you take to back into the spot cancels out any time you save pulling out later.  And every time you back and fill to get into the spot exactly, the ratio worsens.

That's if you have to back and fill. Unless for some reason I can't get a good, clear shot at the parking space, I usually pull past the spot to position my car, put the car in reverse and back in with no backing and filling.

I only need to back and fill when parallel parking, because I don't get a lot of practice doing that.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

POF

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 07:34:08 AM »
I find waiting for backers annoying, too, OP, but I consider it more of a pet peeve of mine than something they're doing wrong.

Me too - when they can't do it efficiently.  They pull up and out and up and out and block the path - we are in a tight garage. my friend can whip her car right into the space - but I have been delayed 5 - 10 minutes with someone trying to shoehorn a big SUV.  Finally security walked around and told them to move out.  Cars backed up really bad.

I do think it is inconsiderate. If its rush hour and people are in a ling line behind you ... just do what is easiest !

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 08:07:43 AM »
How does one signal one wants to back up? The turn signals indicate right and left; there isn't really one for backward, other than the back-up lights.

I suppose they simply come to a stop right in front of the place they want to park, and wait for people to go past?

or do they angle out to block the road and then back up?

I don't know, and have to be honest, I don't for that very reason. Maybe that makes me an SS, but if i were behind a car, and saw them signal right or left to pull into a spot, it wouldn't occur to me they might be backing in.

DCGirl

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
What about the people who back in and end up blocking the sidewalk?  At my train station, there's a large group of people who back into the row of parking along the sidewalk in front of the station.  (These are also the people who race to their cars after they get off the train at the end of the day and take off out of their parking spaces like they've been shot from a cannon.)  The issue with their backing in is that their trunks overhang the sidewalk and make it difficult for people to walk.  Rude or not?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
Yes, it does save time for the back in person.  The pull in person has to wait. I guess the pull in person has more time to spare.

Per the bolded: Is that comment really necessary?

I drive a lot, and so I use parking lots several times a week. I live in one of the most densely-crowded parts of the country. Being in a hurry here is just a waste of time. And no one likes waiting - it's part of human nature. Now, if someone's taking 5 minutes to back into a parking space, that annoyance is understandable. However, I've seen some drivers take forever to pull into a spot. The issue isn't whether they're pulling in or backing in, it usually depends on the skill of the driver. But a skilled driver can back into a spot as quickly as they can pull into that spot. We have a lot of parallel parking here; ya wanna talk having to wait while people get their cars into those spots? But it's life.

If I can, I park nose-out. But I also park far back in the lot. So while people are jockeying for spots near the store entrance, I'm going to the back where it's easy to pull-through (not illegal here). There are some town-owned lots where nose-out parking is banned, but there is signage for that.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:08 AM »
How does one signal one wants to back up? The turn signals indicate right and left; there isn't really one for backward, other than the back-up lights.

I suppose they simply come to a stop right in front of the place they want to park, and wait for people to go past?

You use the signal that indicates which side you're parking on. The left side, the left blinker, etc. As PP's have said, not using the blinkers, then suddenly backing up, can cause problems. And you don't have to be tailgating for it to be a problem

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:26 AM »

I don't know, and have to be honest, I don't for that very reason. Maybe that makes me an SS, but if i were behind a car, and saw them signal right or left to pull into a spot, it wouldn't occur to me they might be backing in.

Using one's blinker to indicate that they're backing into a spot - whether it's parallel or a regular parking lot - is quite the norm where I live. It's to let other drivers know that you'll be using that spot. I'm not sure if this is regional, but if you brake, then start backing up without signaling, you'll probably be the recipient of some horn honking.

Edited to add: in NJ it's the law that you must use your signal before pulling into parallel parking. As for other parking lots, it may not be a law, but it's the kind thing to do for fellow driver.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:10:45 AM by jaxsue »

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »
What about the people who back in and end up blocking the sidewalk?  At my train station, there's a large group of people who back into the row of parking along the sidewalk in front of the station.  (These are also the people who race to their cars after they get off the train at the end of the day and take off out of their parking spaces like they've been shot from a cannon.)  The issue with their backing in is that their trunks overhang the sidewalk and make it difficult for people to walk.  Rude or not?

How could that not be rude?

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »
I ALWAYS back into spots because I was taught in driver's ed that it's safer to leave the spot going forwards than to back out of a spot. I am simply more comfortable and feel safer pulling out forwards. 

If someone is following behind me in a parking lot I usually keep on truckin' until I find another spot where I can back in without making someone wait.