Author Topic: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces  (Read 8264 times)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
Re: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
I ALWAYS back into spots because I was taught in driver's ed that it's safer to leave the spot going forwards than to back out of a spot. I am simply more comfortable and feel safer pulling out forwards. 

If someone is following behind me in a parking lot I usually keep on truckin' until I find another spot where I can back in without making someone wait.

I don't know about other regions, but around here (NJ) police cars are always parked nose-out. Probably for a quick get-away if necessary? I like parking nose-out because it's safer. I don't trust parents to corral little kids, and some pedestrians aren't aware of their surroundings (and neither are some drivers, of course). But I do it in the 'back 40,' where there are usually plenty of spots.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 10:23:22 AM »
It is posted as illegal in all parking lots and garages at my university because the lots are not designed for it. People who do back in get their cars towed and a $250 fine.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
It is posted as illegal in all parking lots and garages at my university because the lots are not designed for it. People who do back in get their cars towed and a $250 fine.

And that's when you'd obey the rules. 90% of the parking I do is in large parking lots (grocery stores), where you can park either way.

MrTango

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
Yes, it does save time for the back in person.  The pull in person has to wait.  I guess the pull in person has more time to spare.

When you're at the grocery store, a person might choose to write a check and request cash back from the cashier, both of which take longer than just using a credit card.  That doesn't mean they're being rude to the person behind them in line.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
It might be safer to pull out of a parking space going forward than in reverse - but what about when you pulled through to park in a spot that now has you going the wrong way down a one way aisle of the parking lot? 

I feel safer pulling out if I am going "with the flow" of traffic and not safe at all on a one way lane with someone coming at me because they are pulling through and coming straight at me.  Or the person who absent-mindedly is going up & down each row without paying attention when the wider two way aisle has changed to a one way aisle...they aren't going to find an empty spot to pull into as they are going opposite the flow of traffic on a narrower lane - and if they do back into a parking space, then when they pull out, they will again be driving head on into the oncoming cars. 

It gets worse when there are a lot of people walking around, some with carts, some just with bags in their hands, because they fit between two SUVs or large pickups and can't be seen until the last second (at least some of the time they can't).  Drivers end up watching for vehicles going with the flow of traffic, against the flow of expected traffic (One way aisles), pedestrians coming out of blind spots, and pedestrians walking up the middle of the driving lane - not to mention carts rolling out into the driving lane.

And I do prefer pulling through - even if it means I park six spaces past the full ones so that I can SEE what is going on and that I'm not going to be pulling out into traffic that will end up hitting my passenger side front corner or front because I'm turning into oncoming traffic as I get out.  I want to drive home - not wait for police & a tow truck!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Only me

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
Hi

I will either back into a spot or drive in, depending on the spot.

ideally there is room for everyone to just pull in, but there are certain spots that there is room for a car to park illegally. Set up like.

car1 car1 car1

2  2  2 -illegally parked
c  c  c
a a  a
r  r  r

If I am a Car1 and pulled into the space adn someone parks where #2 is, then I have no room to back out. I don't know how many times I have  had this happen. Cars knowingly park there when there is no room to get out for those of us legally parked. I have unfortunately scrapped others cars when trying to get, so know this first  hand. (thought there was room and proved wrong).

Last company I worked for I had an emergency doc's appointment and had the car paged 3 or 4 times and the company would not call for a tow truck. I was not in a pleasant mood with that one.

Maureen

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2014, 12:55:07 PM »
It might be safer to pull out of a parking space going forward than in reverse - but what about when you pulled through to park in a spot that now has you going the wrong way down a one way aisle of the parking lot? 

I don't pull through or back in when I'm in a lot with slanted spots. I find it rude to go down an obviously up aisle, or vice versa. It is somewhat easier to back up (out) anyway when the slots are slanted, though I much prefer backing in, or pulling through (only in a nearly empty part of the lot), in lots with non-slanted parking spaces.

Edited for clarity
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:41:41 PM by esposita »

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:28 PM »

I don't pull through or back in when I'm in a lot with slanted spots. I find it rude to go down an obviously up aisle, or vice versa. It is somewhat easier to back up anyway when the slots are slanted, though I much prefer backing in, or pulling through (only in a nearly empty part of the lot), in lots with non-slanted parking spaces.

Exactly. Where I live, lots have 2-way lanes and the parking spots are straight, not slanted. I would never pull through in a parking lot with 1-way lanes and slanted spots. So, it's a moot point IME.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
How does one signal one wants to back up? The turn signals indicate right and left; there isn't really one for backward, other than the back-up lights.

I suppose they simply come to a stop right in front of the place they want to park, and wait for people to go past?

or do they angle out to block the road and then back up?

The same way you do when you parallel park.  If someone is close behind me I stop for a  fraction of a second put my signal on and then pull forward to back in.

gen xer

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
 I prefer to back in but I won't do it if a lot is busy and I don't think I can be quick or efficient about it.  Backing in per se isn't rude....but if you don't know what you're doing and you're holding people up....then it's kind of inconsiderate.  Not egregiously so...but  a little.

It's annoying to be sitting there while someone makes 50 million back and forth turns trying to back in and they just aren't any good at it.  For Pete's sake just drive in.

It will really amp up my peeve level if the person attempting it is driving an enormous van or SUV that they obviously can't handle.

GoTwins

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »

I don't pull through or back in when I'm in a lot with slanted spots. I find it rude to go down an obviously up aisle, or vice versa. It is somewhat easier to back up anyway when the slots are slanted, though I much prefer backing in, or pulling through (only in a nearly empty part of the lot), in lots with non-slanted parking spaces.

Exactly. Where I live, lots have 2-way lanes and the parking spots are straight, not slanted. I would never pull through in a parking lot with 1-way lanes and slanted spots. So, it's a moot point IME.
Most of the parking lots around me are angled spots with 1-way lanes. A few people will still pull through and then end up going the wrong way when they leave. I find that very rude.
If a lot has straight spots then it's just personal preference. I don't find any of the options rude. I've never even thought about it unless I'm pulling into a spot and someone trying to pull through almost hits me head on because they're not paying attention.  :P

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »

Yup. Me too. I can't think of any lots that have the slanted, one way parking aisles anywhere near me. By my mom in VA, in the huge outlet center, there's one area of parking where its like that; but there are curbs between each row, so even if you wanted to pull through, its just not possible.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Yes, it does save time for the back in person.  The pull in person has to wait.  I guess the pull in person has more time to spare.

When you're at the grocery store, a person might choose to write a check and request cash back from the cashier, both of which take longer than just using a credit card.  That doesn't mean they're being rude to the person behind them in line.

In fact, MOM21SON, might not you yourself do something like put all your change away in your wallet, and zip it securely into your purse, before you step away from the cashier's station?

Or, wait for an oncoming car to clear the lane before you turn left--waiting longer than other people might, perhaps, because you feel nervous even if they don't? And you think it's safer?

We're entitled to live our lives in a reasonable manner, and to do reasonable things, even if they do inconvenience other people.

It is not required for us to do things that are inconvenient for us simply to avoid inconveniencing someone else.

Other people are going to get in your way now and then. That doesn't make them inconsiderate, and it sure doesn't make them rude.

MOM21SON

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
You both took my post way out context.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »

In fact, MOM21SON, might not you yourself do something like put all your change away in your wallet, and zip it securely into your purse, before you step away from the cashier's station?

Or, wait for an oncoming car to clear the lane before you turn left--waiting longer than other people might, perhaps, because you feel nervous even if they don't? And you think it's safer?

We're entitled to live our lives in a reasonable manner, and to do reasonable things, even if they do inconvenience other people.

It is not required for us to do things that are inconvenient for us simply to avoid inconveniencing someone else.

Other people are going to get in your way now and then. That doesn't make them inconsiderate, and it sure doesn't make them rude.

Agreed. There are times I'll feel annoyance when someone is taking what feels like too long to perform a task. But that doesn't mean they're being rude. I have to adjust my attitude.