Author Topic: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces  (Read 9493 times)

MOM21SON

Re: Parking Lot Etiquette - Backing into spaces
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
Yes, it does save time for the back in person.  The pull in person has to wait.  I guess the pull in person has more time to spare.

When you're at the grocery store, a person might choose to write a check and request cash back from the cashier, both of which take longer than just using a credit card.  That doesn't mean they're being rude to the person behind them in line.

In fact, MOM21SON, might not you yourself do something like put all your change away in your wallet, and zip it securely into your purse, before you step away from the cashier's station?

Or, wait for an oncoming car to clear the lane before you turn left--waiting longer than other people might, perhaps, because you feel nervous even if they don't? And you think it's safer?

We're entitled to live our lives in a reasonable manner, and to do reasonable things, even if they do inconvenience other people.

It is not required for us to do things that are inconvenient for us simply to avoid inconveniencing someone else.

Other people are going to get in your way now and then. That doesn't make them inconsiderate, and it sure doesn't make them rude.

Agreed. There are times I'll feel annoyance when someone is taking what feels like too long to perform a task. But that doesn't mean they're being rude. I have to adjust my attitude.

Waiting is a part of life, I never said that was rude!  I was responding to the poster that said, it saved time to back in.  Yes, it saves time for the back in poster, not so for the pull in poster.  That is all I was saying. 

cross_patch

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »
Yes, it does save time for the back in person.  The pull in person has to wait.  I guess the pull in person has more time to spare.

When you're at the grocery store, a person might choose to write a check and request cash back from the cashier, both of which take longer than just using a credit card.  That doesn't mean they're being rude to the person behind them in line.

In fact, MOM21SON, might not you yourself do something like put all your change away in your wallet, and zip it securely into your purse, before you step away from the cashier's station?

Or, wait for an oncoming car to clear the lane before you turn left--waiting longer than other people might, perhaps, because you feel nervous even if they don't? And you think it's safer?

We're entitled to live our lives in a reasonable manner, and to do reasonable things, even if they do inconvenience other people.

It is not required for us to do things that are inconvenient for us simply to avoid inconveniencing someone else.

Other people are going to get in your way now and then. That doesn't make them inconsiderate, and it sure doesn't make them rude.

Agreed. There are times I'll feel annoyance when someone is taking what feels like too long to perform a task. But that doesn't mean they're being rude. I have to adjust my attitude.

Waiting is a part of life, I never said that was rude!  I was responding to the poster that said, it saved time to back in.  Yes, it saves time for the back in poster, not so for the pull in poster.  That is all I was saying.

But the way you phrased it clearly implied that the person backing in was doing something wrong and inconsiderate by backing in  - I guess the pull in person has more time to wait. It seems disingenuous to suggest that posters are taking your words out of context.

Bluenomi

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »
I think reversing into a spot is fine as long as you know how to do it. One lady who works in my building always reverses into a spot but is really bad at it (even after years of practice) It takes hers ages of driving backwards and forwards to get in. Meanwhile a line of cars is building up behind her, up the entrance ramp to the boom gate, along the road....

I never reverse in partly because I know I'm bad at it and don't want to hold people up and partly because if i reverse in and there is another row of cars behind I can't get the pram out. I only know of one place where you have to reverse into spots and I avoid it.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 08:06:38 PM »
It might be safer to pull out of a parking space going forward than in reverse - but what about when you pulled through to park in a spot that now has you going the wrong way down a one way aisle of the parking lot? 

Unless the spaces are angled in some way, I don't understand how you could end up going the wrong way, unless you really aren't paying attention to the traffic around you. If all the cars are going to your left, wouldn't you just drive out of the space and go to the left?

MrTango

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »
It might be safer to pull out of a parking space going forward than in reverse - but what about when you pulled through to park in a spot that now has you going the wrong way down a one way aisle of the parking lot? 

Unless the spaces are angled in some way, I don't understand how you could end up going the wrong way, unless you really aren't paying attention to the traffic around you. If all the cars are going to your left, wouldn't you just drive out of the space and go to the left?

Some parking lots are designed in a way that backing into a spot or pulling through to a spot are not an option.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »

Some parking lots are designed in a way that backing into a spot or pulling through to a spot are not an option.

So if they aren't options, why would you do it? If they aren't designed for backing in or pulling through, why would you deliberately park in those ways?

MrTango

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »

So if they aren't options, why would you do it? If they aren't designed for backing in or pulling through, why would you deliberately park in those ways?

I wouldn't.  I tend to avoid malls/stores that have their lots arranged that way, but if I have to go to one, I park according to the convention of that lot.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2014, 06:28:50 AM »
You both took my post way out context.

Would you mind explaining what you meant, please? To me, it sounded very similar to how other posters interpreted it but I am glad to know that is not what you meant.

perpetua

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Backing in as a concept isn't the problem. The problem is when people who clearly don't have the skills to do it try to do it.

Backing in shouldn't take any longer than pulling in forwards - if you know what you're doing. There's no need to constantly pull out and straighten up if you get it right the first time and do it in one smooth movement.

And of course, those people who aren't competent at backing into a space probably aren't going to be any better at backing out of it either. So, one way or the other, they're going to hold someone up. Either they back in and hold someone up and drive out quickly, or they drive in quickly then hold someone up later when they're backing out.

So, no. The backing up isn't the issue, or what holds people up. What holds people up is inadequate driving skills.

MrTango

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:55 AM »
Backing in as a concept isn't the problem. The problem is when people who clearly don't have the skills to do it try to do it.
Backing in shouldn't take any longer than pulling in forwards - if you know what you're doing. There's no need to constantly pull out and straighten up if you get it right the first time and do it in one smooth movement.

And of course, those people who aren't competent at backing into a space probably aren't going to be any better at backing out of it either. So, one way or the other, they're going to hold someone up. Either they back in and hold someone up and drive out quickly, or they drive in quickly then hold someone up later when they're backing out.

So, no. The backing up isn't the issue, or what holds people up. What holds people up is inadequate driving skills.

I completely agree, especially the bolded.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:55:23 AM by MrTango »

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »

I completely agree, especially the bolded.

Me too. With one extra issue is that I see more of the backed into space cars that are not centered properly within the lines. So I will drive up thinking I see an open space only to find that the backed in car has one or both tires on or over the painted line. They leave themselves extra room on the driver's side, but encroach on the other side so I can't fit there. Bonus points for a line of backed in cars doing this so that eventually you will see 5 cars using 7 spaces or more.

I will admit this could be reporter bias as my favorite part of the parking lot at church has recently seen an increasing number of backed in cars doing this so that I have to park twice as far from the doors as I used to park.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

tinkytinky

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2014, 10:23:03 AM »
Not using the turn signal is rude. The backing in is not rude per se, but it is annoying to the car(s) waiting. If I am behind someone wanting to back into a space, they need to let me know (blinker) so that I can stay back. If not, they run the risk of me being too close for them to back in and I may be unable to back up due to a lot of cars behind me. Same goes for parallel parking. if you want the spot, and there is a number of cars behind you, give proper signal.

As for pulling thru so the vehicle is facing out, I don't have a problem if I can see they are moving. When they have pulled in, I can see the reverse lights and know to be cautious of them backing out or wait so I can get their spot. But you don't know if they are pulling out until they are moving. I personally only like to pull my car thru if I know that I will be able to see to get out. And I have had big vehicles pull close enough to the back of my car (small SUV or minivan) that I can't get the gate up and have to pull out anyway to load my groceries. It also makes it more difficult to load the children when you can't walk behind/between the vehicles and have to walk in the traffic to get them in the doors.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »

But it's not rude to have inadequate driving skills. And I've been known to inconvenience people when I'm pulling *into* a parking space head-on.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »

Not necessarily. I am not good at backing into parking spaces so i don't do it, but I can back quickly out of the space because there is a lot more room to maneuver
 around - I am not trying to get into a small space.

perpetua

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »

But it's not rude to have inadequate driving skills. And I've been known to inconvenience people when I'm pulling *into* a parking space head-on.

I think it can be, actually, if you're subjecting other road users to them, depending on what those inadequate skills are.

I think we're basically in agreement - it's not rude to back into a space, at *all*.

But if you try to do it, knowing you won't be able to do it without holding people up - in other words, backing up, pulling back out, straightening up, backing in again, pulling out to straighten up some more because you can't do it right the first time - does that then make it rude? Because then it's starting to veer into rudeness to me, or at least obliviousness.