Author Topic: s/o parking problems - "Don't you dare park on my street!"  (Read 8858 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: s/o parking problems - "Don't you dare park on my street!"
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
I think I told this story here years ago, but what the heck.

My dad had a neighbor who must not have liked having cars parked in front of his house. He never said anything, but all the visitors to his house parked in front of Dad's house. As in, pull up in front of neighbor's house, drop off all passengers, and then the driver would pull up to right in front of Dad's house and park. So Dad made sure that none of us ever parked in front of the neighbor's property.

So one Christmas, most of us made it home for the holiday. So, with Dad's car, there were about 7 cars that needed to be parked somewhere. The driveway could hold them all at night, but during the day, we'd park them in front of Dad's house, so that we didn't have to move a bunch of cars every single time someone needed to drive somewhere. 

The neighbor came over on Christmas Day to tell, not ask, us to move the cars from in front of our house, so that his guests could park there.

We didn't.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

gen xer

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 10:19:43 AM »
Oh I have a parking story too.....

I was running late for Mass one day and had to park on a side street since the lot was full.  I did not see this but apparently only one side of the street was legal for parking.  An older lady comes out, tells me to move my car and that it would be towed if I left it there.  I thought she was doing me a kindness so I told her no I was not aware, thanked her and moved my car to the other side of the street...but I had to pass by her house again and she started....as in yelling that she would have been the one to call the cops and she was so sick of people parking on the wrong side of the street...blah blah blah.  I stood there kind of dumbfounded for a minute - I mean - I moved it so what the heck was with the continued haranguing?  Finally I interrupted with a "Drop it lady!!!  I moved the car!  What the hell else do you want?"   

It was her turn to look stunned and I walked off to Mass seething and with decidedly un-Christian thoughts in my mind...

HorseFreak

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
One of my neighbors in a Boston suburb didn't own a car, but had a driveway and space for 2 cars in front of his house. Parking in this area was tight and one of the few non-permitted streets around. The house my apartment was in had a driveway and garage, but we weren't allowed to use it because the landlord rented it out to a third party to store his antique car.

I made the mistake of parking once in front of my neighbor's house and he came screaming off another neighbor's porch that it was his house and no one was allowed to park there. I told him if he damaged my car I would call the police. This led to him pounding on the door screaming and the other neighbors gossiping about how inconsiderate I was. I didn't park there again (it really was a one time thing that I needed to), but I was a snot and had my BF park his ancient Toyota there every time he visited and there wasn't a space in front of our house.

Neighbor didn't care I couldn't park in front of my own place because everyone and their brother did. I did have one car towed that was parked there without moving for two weeks, but the police first come and leave a sticker with a warning before towing. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28:07 AM »
I am lucky. Even though my neighborhood has parking issues (older homes, small garages and driveways) on one end of my street, on my end (around a bend) it's only 1 neighbor and myself. Most of the street, however, is cars lining both sides of the road. You live with it.

The only people who make us all mad is a large family (2 full families living in a 1-family home) that doesn't even live on our street. They have several huge vehicles like Suburbans, Tahoes, and a driveway that fits only 2 cars. Yes, they're allowed to park on any street they wish, but they park their work van on our street, and right up to the intersection, which is not legal. Also, someone in that house has decided that parking 5 feet from the curb is good enough.  ::)

We have contacted the authorities about the work van but nothing's been done so far. Just wait until a fire truck tries to make that corner!

PeterM

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 03:05:13 PM »
The neighbor came over on Christmas Day to tell, not ask, us to move the cars from in front of our house, so that his guests could park there.

We didn't.

You're better than I would've been. My family would've moved all the cars en masse to right in front of the neighbor's house. There would have been fistfights over who got to move their car first.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:08:39 PM by PeterM »

Ginger G

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
In my neighborhood it's pretty rare for someone to park on the street, but it happens occasionally if someone is having a party or a yard sale.  It doesn't bother me or most of the other neighbors since we understand it is out of necessity.  The exception is my next door neighbor who takes extreme offense to the point where my DH and I don't even want to have gatherings at our house anymore.  Last time we had people over for DH's birthday, she went out and took pictures of the cars then took pictures of the guys in our backyard throwing horseshoes.  Another time, our neighbors who live on the other side of her were in the process of moving their son out to his own home, so they had temporarily moved their cars out of the driveway (one in front of their house and one in front of hers) to allow room for two pickup trucks to load his stuff.  Mean neighbor went out and put a nasty note on their car telling them to never park in front of her house again. 

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
I have a relative who is like the man in the OPs story.  Where I live, there is street parking and, occasionally, residents with driveways.  At the time, my relative had a garage and a driveway, with access from a back alley.  I don't think anyone on that street had a driveway that led from the street.

At any rate, he was just incensed anytime someone parked in front of his house and I never, ever understood that.  He wasn't being inconvenienced in any way.  Street parking was perfectly legal.  It was completely bizarre.  He spent a lot of time being mad when he lived there.   It was a mixed bag of 2 or 3-flats and small single family homes in a large city and not everyone on that street had a driveway/garage.  I'm not sure where he got the idea that people shouldn't park on the street.  Where else are they going to park?

m2kbug

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »
Being in a rush, I think just to say, "I have a permit" and continue on would be fine.  Even just agreeing.  "Okay," is fine too.  If she can legally park there, the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on. 

I think it might have been better to take a few moments just to explain to the guy that if people have permits (or are parking on the street during allowable hours), there's nothing he can do about it and when weather gets nasty (or some other traffic issue) this will be something he will have to deal with.  I imagine if it's that problematic for him, he can go to the city or county about special parking (thinking of the lady who went through the process of getting a designated handicapped parking spot in front of her house).  She could quickly explain to the man that she has a permit to park on the street legally and since the bad parking on this guy's street was due to the weather, it shouldn't be a continued problem.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »
I think the OP should call who ever is in charge of permit parking under the guise of making sure she is parking legally and let them know this guy is off and telling people legally parked they can't park where they have a right to.

On the funny side I nearly missed my own driveway Saturday, because my terrific next door neighbor had guests and had moved his van to my driveway. They are  really nice, and have helped me out of a couple of jams. Parking in front of our houses is iffy, because people take the curve to fast. So I told them anytime they have guests they can use the other side of my drive (I just have 1 car). I like the idea that if I'm gone during a holiday - they park in my drive and make it look like people are coming and going from the house.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

greencat

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 08:25:45 PM »
Back when I lived with roommates, and we had more cars than driveway space, I had to have a nice police officer inform my neighbor that parking our cars on the street was not, in fact, illegal, just because she didn't like it.  This particular neighbor lived on a huge corner lot - there was enough space for another house with a full-size yard - so we were catty-corner across a football field from her house, not even right in front of it. 

That neighborhood was full of nutty people - I chased one of the other neighbors out of my yard once because he was measuring my grass with a ruler, to see if we'd passed the 3" mark mandated by the HOA rules. 

doodlemor

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 09:30:48 PM »
I think the OP should call who ever is in charge of permit parking under the guise of making sure she is parking legally and let them know this guy is off and telling people legally parked they can't park where they have a right to.

Absolutely.  He seems like a strange guy.  It's too bad that the OP didn't have time to chat with the police vehicle in sight when the incident occurred. 

BarensMom

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 12:35:46 AM »
That neighborhood was full of nutty people - I chased one of the other neighbors out of my yard once because he was measuring my grass with a ruler, to see if we'd passed the 3" mark mandated by the HOA rules.

...and all this time I thought the HOA Lady was fictitious. Did you happen to see any cavorting naked snow ladies or racist bagels in the neighborhood?

greencat

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:21 AM »

...and all this time I thought the HOA Lady was fictitious. Did you happen to see any cavorting naked snow ladies or racist bagels in the neighborhood?

Well, the snow ladies would have taken a miracle to pull off, since I'm in Florida :)  I need to go look up the racist bagel story...anyone have a link?

Paper Roses

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
I had something similar happen once - a long time ago.  Someone left a really nasty, anonymous note on my legally parked car threatening to have it towed.  We did talk to the police, who said that as long as its legally parked, they were not going to tow it.  I was tempted to continue parking there just to prove a point, but at the same time, it wasn't worth getting my tires slashed or my car keyed or otherwise vandalized; obvously, the person was pretty unstable if the really believed they had the power to get a car towed.

Sounds to me like this guy is similar.  He probably figures that threatening will discourage people from parking there, and maybe it does enough of the time to keep him doing it.  Maybe he even believes he can actually get cars towed for no reason; who knows? 

I think I would be leery of leaving my car there anymore; not because he's right, but because if he's crazy or entitled enough to think he can go around making up rules about parking, there's no telling what else he might do.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

JustCallMePat

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
What should she do if she encounters this situation again?

Reply in a low, measured voice: "Before you go on, please be aware that I have a Taser."   >:D