Wedding Bliss and Blues > Par-Tay!

non shower shower for second wedding?

(1/3) > >>

padua:
my sister recently moved out of home state, met someone and is getting married. the wedding is going to be here in her home state. a friend of hers and i would like to throw her... something... before the wedding to celebrate here with friends. this will give her a chance to schmooze with her friends and family celebrate this wonderful occasion without the stress of being present at a wedding. thing is, this is a second wedding for her, so a wedding shower would be out. wouldn't it?

so what would we call this? or do other posters feel it's inappropriate to throw such a party? and suggestions for invitation wording?

TurtleDove:
Girls Night Out To Celebrate Sis's Wedding!

Lynn2000:
I think the main etiquette issue is not that you want to have a party and celebrate, but that you want to make sure people understand they don't need to bring gifts to this party. Since for many people "shower" = gift, I would definitely not refer to it as a "shower." So maybe something like an engagement party, a bridal tea, or just a "backyard BBQ to celebrate Susie's upcoming marriage!"

padua:
thanks for your responses- i really like the idea of a bridal tea (although girls' night out would be nice). and i don't need to specify not to bring gifts, right? because the very mention of gifts would be inappropriate.

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: padua on February 20, 2014, 04:58:14 PM ---thanks for your responses- i really like the idea of a bridal tea (although girls' night out would be nice). and i don't need to specify not to bring gifts, right? because the very mention of gifts would be inappropriate.

--- End quote ---

Right, don't mention "no gifts" on the invitation, but when you discuss it with guests beforehand, you can drop that in. I think it's more taboo for the guest of honor to discuss the gifts, but you are the host, so you can certainly describe to people what the "atmosphere" and activities will be like (not on the activity list: gift opening). At least, that's my opinion. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version