News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 02:36:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: s/o Friday morn wedding: what are the common wedding times/days where you live?  (Read 9097 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
I'm in Texas too. Jewish weddings here are normally held on Saturday night (most likely in the winter months) or Sunday afternoon or evening. The Christian and non-religious weddings I've been to are always on Saturday. I've been to morning, afternoon and evening weddings.

I've never been invited to, nor even really been aware of weddings taking place on weekdays/weeknights other than people going down the courthouse for a quick civil ceremony.

Ditto for this East Coaster.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
Brazil here.

Formal weddings are held on Saturday evening. The church ceremony is usually held at around 5 or 6pm and then everyone goes straight to the reception, where there will be a cocktail hour followed by a meal or very heavy appetizers (all sorts of filled pastries, small plates of risotto or pasta and other things you can eat with only a fork). Late dining is coming here (dinner at home might be around 8pm and it isn't uncommon to eat out at 9pm). After the meal, dancing begins. The receptions are usually centered on talking and dancing, without a lot of the activities that seem to be common in American weddings.

Less formal weddings, with smaller guest lists, are sometimes held on Saturday or Sunday at midday (followed by lunch) or mid afternoon.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Washington state here:

Two friends of mine were married this past Wednesday evening, by a rabbi. It was a very nice wedding, and a good turnout, but I'm sure there are people who declined the invitation because it would have meant (more) time off from work. One of the other guests suggested that the bride might have opted for Wednesday because the space she wanted wasn't available on the weekend, or would have been significantly more expensive, and "why a Wednesday evening" was a topic of conversation, along with "it's a really nice space" and praise for the food and all the non-wedding-related conversations you'd have with friends at a wedding reception. There were several out-of-town guests, but a lot of their more distantly-located friends declined. (They used an online invitation site, so once I'd said "yes, I will be there, just me," I could see who else had accepted, declined, or been invited but not yet RSVP'd.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Saturday morning is becoming more common, as well as Friday evening weddings.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

camlan

I just drove by one of the Catholic churches in town and a wedding was just getting out. It must have started at 2:30 or 3:00. This is the first I've heard of a Friday wedding at this church.

That strikes me as a bit early, as any out-of-towners would have had to take at least a half day off work, if not a full day. But there seemed to be a large crowd of guests, so maybe for this couple that wasn't an issue.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

gellchom

Jewish in the Midwest US here.  Jewish weddings can't be held on the Sabbath, which is Friday night til about an hour after sunset on Saturday night, so as you can imagine Saturday night weddings are rare except in winter.  This accounts for the popularity of Sunday weddings on three day weekends -- that way you can still have an evening wedding in the summer.  I was married on July 4 (it was a Sunday), and both my children chose Sunday of Labor Day Weekend.  Last year a cousin married on Thursday, July 4; she assumed, correctly I think, that nearly everyone would have Friday off anyway.

In Israel, my experience has been like the OP's.  Tuesday, considered a lucky day, is also a traditional day for Jewish weddings.  I don't know how people get up for work the next day, but they manage.

I think that the Protestant and Catholic weddings I've been to have all been on Saturdays.  We live across the street from a big, pretty church, and my daughter and I like to sit outside on Saturday afternoons and look at the beautiful clothes and cute children when the bridal parties and guests come out!

I've never been to the kind of wedding I've read about here where the ceremony and reception were hours apart.  The reception is always immediately after the ceremony, although sometimes in a different venue.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:56:20 PM by gellchom »