Author Topic: s/o Friday morn wedding: what are the common wedding times/days where you live?  (Read 1287 times)

Bluenomi

Aussie here. Every wedding I've been to has been on a Saturday. Most have been civil ceremonies so no need to fit in with church services so they've been all various times of the day. Generally the ceremony is sometime during the day with an evening reception.

Ceallach

• This Is It
Australia. 

All the wedding ceremonies I've been to, or have heard about other people I know attending (in this country), have taken place on a Saturday between about 10am-4pm. They were all followed by a formal reception with either a full buffet or 2-3 course plated meal. Often there were Hors d'oeuvre and/or drinks served between ceremony and reception.

This exactly. 

Very rarely I hear of a Sunday afternoon wedding, or a Friday.   If it's a weekday then in my experience it's nearly always because the couple want to save money as venues are significantly cheaper during weekdays. 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

gollymolly2

U.S.  I'm in my late twenties so I go to a lot of weddings :D.  The weddings I've been invited to pretty much universally have a late-afternoon Saturday start time and then last until midnight or so.

camlan

• Super Hero!
Coming back to say that I've been to two Sunday weddings. Both were scheduled over a long weekend, so I think the idea was that out-of-town guests could travel on Saturday, attend the wedding on Sunday, and travel back home on Monday.

They were both Jewish weddings, which I don't know if it was a coincidence or not.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

meraki

• my blog
California here. Almost all weddings I've been invited to have been on a Saturday night. We had ours late Sunday morning, though. If people minded, no one said anything.

guihong

• Super Hero!
I was in one Friday night wedding, but most have been Saturday afternoon.  My own was 11AM Saturday with a lunch immediately following.  My brother got married on some weekday at the courthouse, then held a backyard cookout celebration on the next weekend.

The worst was an 11AM wedding, and a 5PM reception  >:(.  Plus, I was six hours from home and so had to find somewhere to noodle around for five hours.  Even at the reception, dinner didn't get going until 6:30.

ktanne

Western Australia here.

I've been to a couple of Sunday afternoon weddings (all three were civil ceremonies on the foreshore in the afternoon, then a break while the couple went off for photos, then early dinner).  I've been to a number of Saturday weddings, most with a civil ceremony in the afternoon then a short break, then dinner.  I've been to one Saturday wedding where there was a church ceremony at 10.30am, then the reception was held at a venue some 90minute drive away, and started at 5.30pm.  However the rest were a mid-late afternoon ceremony followed by either a cocktail, buffet or full plated dinner from 6 or 7pm.

However working in hospitality, I've worked wedding events every day of the week.  One Monday afternoon wedding/ evening reception (not a public holiday) was HUGE (around 200 guests).  But both couples were FIFO workers, and I think a lot of their friends were as well.  So people had either organised for their off-swing to coincide with the wedding, or organised annual leave in order to attend.   We've catered Tuesday morning/ lunch events, Wednesday evening cocktail events, Thursday afternoon finger food events...   I think afternoon/ evening weddings seem to be much more common than morning/ lunch events, but mornings do happen from time to time.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Canada here.

Most weddings I have gone to take place on a Saturday, usually in the afternoon or evening.  Religion usually doesn't play too much of a factor; weddings that weren't on Sundays but where the HC wanted a mass, the priest conducted a special wedding mass with no regard to the day of the week.  If I recall right, many churches around here try to actually avoid having weddings at the times where a regular mass would be held, as weddings are a private function and would tie up the church, depriving its regular members of their normal weekly mass.  I can't say that for a fact though.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Canada here.  I've been to one Sunday afternoon wedding - it was during the height of summer at a non-denominational chapel in a park.  There were no issues re Sunday religious services/mass - simply that the chapel is booked heavily every Saturday and Sunday during the summer.

Almost all other weddings have been Saturday mid to  late afternoon-early evening (except for a Catholic morning wedding that I attended when I was about 7 and barely remember except for the monotonous length...)  However, there was one 9 am wedding at a Filipino Protestant church followed by a noontime reception at a Chinese restaurant - so interestingly there was a 1 1/2 hour gap at midmorning.  Not great.

While most wedding here do include a meal, there's not an expectation.  I've attended a couple of mid-afternoon weddings with appetizer-receptions and that's considered to be perfectly fine.

Teenyweeny

UK here:

Every wedding (bar one) that I've ever been to was on a Saturday. And I've been to a loooot of weddings. Until relatively recently, you couldn't get married after 6pm (I think that was only just changed last year).

Most people opted to get married in the morning, as that was traditional (until the mid 1800s you couldn't legally marry after noon, it was then extended to 3pm, and then in the 50s to 6pm).

Certainly, all the weddings I went to as a child (and some weddings now) have the following approximate format:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11am: Service.

Noon: Drinks and canapes while photos are taken.

1pm: Sit down meal, usually a 3 course, plated meal. Wine will be provided.

3pm: Toasts (fizz provided), cake cutting, speeches. Tea and coffee will be served with the cake.

4pm: Break. Guests may leave the venue entirely to go to the pub, or to go home and change for the 'night do'. If the venue is a hotel, guests will probably congregate in the bar.

7pm onwards: Dancing, drinks (cash bar), more of a disco vibe. Buffet food. Additional guests may appear at this point, usually work mates.

Midnight-1am. Close.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In my own generation,  most weddings have a 2pm-4pm start. It has all the same elements, but no break. The night time buffet is usually pared down (because people have had a big meal at 4pm-ish), and might be bacon butties or similar. It's also less likely that there will be additional 'night do' guests.

lowspark

UK here:

Every wedding (bar one) that I've ever been to was on a Saturday. And I've been to a loooot of weddings. Until relatively recently, you couldn't get married after 6pm (I think that was only just changed last year).

Most people opted to get married in the morning, as that was traditional (until the mid 1800s you couldn't legally marry after noon, it was then extended to 3pm, and then in the 50s to 6pm).

Wow, that's interesting!! Why were the laws set up like that?

Teenyweeny

UK here:

Wow, that's interesting!! Why were the laws set up like that?

I don't know, but it makes for some funny plot points in classic literature. In the Sherlock Holmes story 'A Scandal in Bohemia', Irene Adler races to the church to be married before the deadline, and the groom has to dash out to find witnesses in time.

It's also the cause of Sergeant Troy abandoning Fanny in 'Far From the Madding Crowd'; she gets lost, and gets to the church after noon (so they can't be married that day). He's so furious that he calls off the whole idea, (although she's already pregnant), and leaves her to her fate (she dies in childbirth in a workhouse).

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
Canada. Mostly Saturdays, occasionally Friday evening or Sunday afternoon but those are much less common. I've been to one Thursday evening wedding. Weddings are often full day affairs here: ceremony in the early afternoon, then a brief wait, then cocktail hour, then dinner, then dance. A wedding will often go from 1 p.m to 1 a.m, which is why Saturdays are preffrable.

In the last 4 years I've been invited to 14 weddings (including my own):
1 Thursdays (ceremony was at 5 (religious service), cocktails immediately after, then dinner and dancing until 12)
11 Saturdays [4 catholic, 4 other christian religions, 3 non denominational] (one was an evening wedding (non demoninational) which started at 7 and cocktails to follow no reception, the rest all followed a similar pattern start time between 12-3, then reception either immediately after or within a couple hours, dinner, dance until late)
1 Sunday (wedding at 12, lunch reception immediately followed, done by 4)
1 elopement with a small BBQ reception
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:33:20 PM by LadyR »

lofty

• My blog and shops
Northeastern US here: with the exception of my own wedding, all of the ones I've ever been in/attended have been Saturday evening, usually starting no earlier than 4pm.

Me, I had to be different, so I went for a Friday at 5pm. Those that had to take time off from work didn't mind, and only needed to miss an hour or two which they appreciated.
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

Eve_Eire

In Ireland you can only have a civil ceremony Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm.  The only way to get married on a Saturday is in a church.  So all the weddings used to be on Saturdays but as more and more people opt for civil ceremonies, Fridays have become a popular option. 

As far as the cost goes, Friday and Saturday are the same price here.