News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 19, 2017, 10:41:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Post Office politeness (or not)  (Read 11565 times)

diesel_darlin

Re: Post Office politeness (or not)
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »
Im going to put in another vote for lining up, getting your forms, filling them out, then rejoining the line. I dont work in a post office, but I am a cashier. It gets difficult when I am waiting on one person and someone comes in and just wants to get gas/just wants to use the phone/ just wants to ask directions. I usually ask the line jumper to wait just a second until I finish with my current transaction then Ill be right with them. Ive had people get really angry with ME when I try to help more than one person at a time.

lowspark

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »
I've got a whole new idea. What if, before going up to the cashier, the OP first asks the people in the line in front of her, "do you mind if I run up and get some forms from the cashier to fill out while I'm in line?"

Then, if it's people like me who don't mind, they can say, "go right ahead" and everyone is ok with it.

And if it's people like perpetua who would be annoyed, they can say "sorry, please wait in line". Then hey, you tried, the people behind you will be stuck waiting, and that's the way it goes.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

refereetoo

• Formerly Referee
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 12:41:35 PM »
I've got a whole new idea. What if, before going up to the cashier, the OP first asks the people in the line in front of her, "do you mind if I run up and get some forms from the cashier to fill out while I'm in line?"

Then, if it's people like me who don't mind, they can say, "go right ahead" and everyone is ok with it.

And if it's people like perpetua who would be annoyed, they can say "sorry, please wait in line". Then hey, you tried, the people behind you will be stuck waiting, and that's the way it goes.

I would also speak loudly and clearly so that the people behind you know that you gave it your best effort.

jaxsue

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »
I went to our USPO this week, and the forms you have to fill out for things like international mailings are definitely only behind the counter, not on our side of the counter. And there was signage saying, "Forms must be filled out before coming to the counter." But you have to go to the counter to get the forms.   :o

TinyVulgarUnicorn

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
I personally wouldn't have been annoyed by what knitterly did, but I can imagine why the lady in front of her was annoyed.  If there was a lull in between customers then I don't think it's particularly rude unless her request takes a long time to process, but if it was something simple that would take a few seconds then I don't find that rude. 

However, I did have a situation at the post office one time where I was actively talking to the post office clerk and conducting a transaction when someone interrupted our conversation to ask a question.  That I found very annoying and rude, but this isn't what happened in the OP's situation.