Author Topic: Eating our way across Ireland  (Read 584 times)

andi

Eating our way across Ireland
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:28:19 PM »
Hubby, Boo (age 9) and I are leaving for my dream trio to Ireland this coming Saturday. Our itinerary is set (flights and hotels booked) and we have a list of places we want to see, things to do. However - we don't know where to start on restaurants / food.

We will have a car for the week and our plan is:

1). Land in Dublin at 5:30 am, pick up car and drive to Kilkenny City. Spend the rest of day and night

2). Drive from Kilkenny City to Kinsale in Cork.  I'd like to make it to Waterford if possible.

3). Drive from Kinsale to Ballyseede Castle in Kerry. We'll be there two nights. Have lists of things to drive to see / do but will plan around great food if needed!

4). Ballyseede Castle to Spanish Port in County Clare. Again, lists of places we're going to try and see.

5). Drive from Spanish Port back to Dublin.  We are meeting a friend of hubby's coworker late in the afternoon and having dinner with him and spending our last night. :(

6). Drive to airport and fly home.

We love to eat, try new foods and local specialties.  Most of our vacations in the past have revolved around meals and restaurants and just add something special to the trip. We want this one to be the same. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!  Thank you very much

( oh - if it helps, we are coming from central Texas in the US)

sunnygirl

Re: Eating our way across Ireland
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
I don't know if this will be quite what you're looking for, but I did this dining experience in Dublin last year and really liked it.
http://www.brazenhead.com/story-telling/

In Cork I can recommend Star Anise or the Ivory Tower.
http://staranise.ie/
http://www.ivorytower.ie/
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:41:51 PM by sunnygirl »

Nibsey

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
Hi, Here are my recommendations for Dublin;

Michelin: Chapter one (18 Parnell Square North), Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud (21 Upper Merrion Street)
Pub: The Chop House (2 Shelbourne Rd)
Breakfast: Cafe Sofia (Wexford st)
Irish Food: The Winding stairs (40 Lower Ormond Quay)
Ice cream: Murphys (Wicklow st)
Afternoon tea: The Merrion hotel (Upper Merrion St)

For the other areas maybe check out last years winners for the irish food awards.

http://www.irishfoodguide.ie/2013/06/rai-irish-restaurant-awards-2013.html

ETA: I forgot about this place because I haven't been but I've heard good things and it's right next to the Little Museum which is worth a gander.
Hatch & Sons apparently serve awesome Blaas (Waterford Roll) (The Little Museum of Dublin, 15 St Stephens Green)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:27:07 AM by Nibsey »
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Margo

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
I definitely second the recommendation of 'The Winding Stair' in Dublin. I ate there with a friend of mine - she had asked *her* friend, a professional restaurant critic, for suggestions, and that came up. the food was wonderful and the staff very pleasant.

For lighter. cheaper food, the Cake Cafe (http://www.thecakecafe.ie/) does wonderful tea and cake, and very nice soups and sandwiches, too.

Enjoy your trip!

Arila

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:47:59 PM »
When we were in Ireland, I most enjoyed the meals we had at country pubs, either along the road, or in the older parts of the villages.

I also thought the fish and chips in Ireland was just as good as in the UK, so you could have a "fast food" lunch of that at some point.

Dublin is a modern metropolis, I think while we were there, we had Indian food. ;)

Also, have breakfasts, and teas. They are usually pretty good. :) I usually enjoyed the days where we ate like Hobbits over there. Breakfast, then elevensies, lunch, snack, etc. Tea and scones here, split a small sandwich (and tea) there...

Slightly off-topic advice: Be sure that you know both the English and Irish names of the sites you are going to see. We had a really unfortunate situation where we wanted to see "Bru na Boinne", but all the signs said "Newgrange" (or maybe the other way around) so we drove around a lot and finally gave up, even though we were basically circling around it all day.

andi

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »
Thank yall so much. We've mapped our drive and shild be hitting good sized toe pawns along our route.  We just dont want to miss anything.  I've got about 3 weeks worth of stuff planned out for our 6 day trip.