Author Topic: Songs that Get Stuck in Our Heads  (Read 3099 times)

menley

Re: Songs that Get Stuck in Our Heads
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 08:20:23 PM »
"Dumb Ways To Die", which is a safety promotion by Metro Trains in Melbourne, Australia.  The writers must have deliberately picked the most ear-wormiest tune and lyrics for their message.

Set fire to your hair
Poke a stick at a grizzly bear
Eat medicine that's out of date
Use your private parts as piranha bait

Dumb ways to die
So many dumb ways to die
Dumb ways to die-ie-ie
So many dumb ways to die

I LOVE that advertisement but it is soooo annoyingly catchy! I found myself humming it to my friend's baby while I was trying to rock him to sleep and my friend said, "Oh! What's that song?" I didn't know how to explain that I was singing to her infant about dumb ways to die....

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 01:01:37 AM »
Not a song, exactly, but the other night I had "Green Eggs and Ham" stuck in my head and kept making up new verses:

Would you eat them in a truck? Would you eat them with a duck?
Would you eat them in a pond? Would you eat them with James Bond?
Would you eat them on a plane? Would you eat them with John Wayne?

You're welcome.  >:D

Oh you ARE evil.

Did you did you hear the song?
Would you could you sing along?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttetmdOZXSU
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 07:23:17 AM »
Not a song, exactly, but the other night I had "Green Eggs and Ham" stuck in my head and kept making up new verses:

Would you eat them in a truck? Would you eat them with a duck?
Would you eat them in a pond? Would you eat them with James Bond?
Would you eat them on a plane? Would you eat them with John Wayne?

You're welcome.  >:D

Oh you ARE evil.

Did you did you hear the song?
Would you could you sing along?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttetmdOZXSU

I am dying here.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 07:28:21 AM »
Bearing in mind that it is March...

...this morning's earworm was...

"I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus".

No.
Just..
No.

Mine yesterday was Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  The cutesy little pop one by Destiny's Child.  After the 19th time of loop playing, I was ready to lay down and take my fate.  :(
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

mime

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »
There was a television commercial when I was a kid for Hamm's Beer. This may have been only a local thing. They had a commercial that started with tom-toms, followed by singing:
From the Land of Sky Blue Waters,
From the land of pines' lofty balsams,
Comes the beer refreshing,
Hamm's the beer refreshing.

Seriously: for about 35 years I've been getting that thing going through my head every few months. Those jingle-writers should be very proud of themselves!

When my family gets an earwig, I start singing "Particle Man" by They Might Be Giants. Not that the song stops earwigs, of course. It just replaces them, and we can all sing along!   >:D

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 02:35:38 PM »
Bearing in mind that it is March...

...this morning's earworm was...

"I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus".

No.
Just..
No.

Mine yesterday was Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  The cutesy little pop one by Destiny's Child.  After the 19th time of loop playing, I was ready to lay down and take my fate.  :(

Sheepish Admission:

I have been known to find myself humming at my desk...only to realize the tune is "Jingle Bells". In July...  ::)

Yeah. Not good!

daen

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 03:44:52 PM »
<snip>

When my family gets an earwig, I start singing "Particle Man" by They Might Be Giants. Not that the song stops earwigs, of course. It just replaces them, and we can all sing along!   >:D

I find just about anything by They Might Be Giants will replace an earworm. For me, a TMBG song is usually a short-lived earworm, though, but if not, it's preferable to some of the others that have attacked.

I have occasionally found that earworms start when I can only remember part of the song. Apparently, my brain will keep looping the part I remember, hoping that the association will resurrect the remainder from my memory. In those cases, listening to the whole song will shut down the loop entirely.

Library Dragon

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" regularly gets stuck in my head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Then it will be "Trouble" by Bittersweet. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBECqpxLvGA&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 04:26:16 AM »
The local radio station plays "Black Betty" by Ram Jam at least twice a listening day. 

My wife and I both dislike the song, so guess what will not leave my head ... Bam a lam

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army" regularly gets stuck in my head. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

I always wondered what that song was!

parrot_girl

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2014, 08:02:36 AM »
The entire list of songs from Frozen. They go around and around and around.

(If I never inadvertantly start humming "Let It Go" again, I think my colleagues will think it's too soon...)

songbird

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »
I went to Kentucky earlier this month.  So there is a song I knew as a kid:

Going to Kentucky, going to the fair
To see the seņorita with flowers in her hair . . .

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
Two weeks ago, I had _Midway_ by Sabaton (http://youtu.be/NuOnQpyP1nc) stuck in my head. Nothing could clear it out, even listening to it again. And again. This was frustrating, but I finally realized why I kept having it recur.
So that, as I was playing it on the sound system in the living room, I could experience seeing my 10YO DS headbanging and waving little metal hands around. \m/AWESOME\m/   >:D

daen

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
So... there's this praise and worship song I keep getting stuck in my head. I wouldn't object quite so much - the melody is rather nice - if it wasn't for the fact that the lyrics are full of glurge and stupidity. I quote:
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree, Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.

I will link to the lyrics only. Clicking on the link or searching out the actual song is done at your own risk.

John Mark MacMillan: How He loves: http://www.sweetslyrics.com/526318.John%20Mark%20Mcmillan%20-%20How%20He%20Loves%20.html

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Earworms!!
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2014, 02:04:36 PM »
This is probably a Bad Thing to give to others but... Dogging by Fascinating Aida.

Please note that this is not even a little bit safe for work and that it is plain Rude. Very funny, very catchy, very rude. And a complete earworm.

This song left me in stitches so I kept clicking links.

Then I found "Flowers In Winter" and that may not be the best song I could've heard the day after Dad's funeral. Back to Dogging.