Author Topic: Miss Jeanne Really Needs to Talk to Cosmo  (Read 865 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Miss Jeanne Really Needs to Talk to Cosmo
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
this was on the MSN site today:

http://living.msn.com/love-relationships/24-things-no-one-tells-you-about-being-a-wedding-guest#scpshrjmd

(cut and paste link to browser because site isn't letting relationships get through there)

People will ask for cash (tastefully)? Stick to the registry?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:55:09 AM by MamaMootz »
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

gollymolly2

Re: Miss Jeanne Really Needs to Talk to Cosmo
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:47:53 PM »
I didn't think this was terrible. Some advice was spot on, some I disagreed with, but it didn't seem awful.

It seemed more based on reality than the way things should be. So no, brides and grooms shouldn't ask for cash or be upset if they get gifts off the registry. But if you're not a regular wedding-attender and you're trying to figure out what kind of gift to get, it's really not bad advice at all to give gifts from the registry or cash. No, that's certainly not required under etiquette rules, but you're more likely to end up with a gift the head couple likes. Etc.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
I agree with gollymolly2.  This seems less an etiquette guide than an alert about things you might encounter.  If you're still wearing your Wedding guest training wheels, the article could be very useful.

However, dancing most certainly IS optional. 

mime

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »

The advice includes don't get too drunk, don't laugh if something goes wrong during the ceremony, try not to steal the spotlight, sit politely through the toasts, and getting tipsy in front of cute guys is a plus. Sounds like advice given to a young adult about to attend events without mom & dad for the first time, from a peer with maybe three whole such experiences under their belt.

(As for the registry: I always go with the registry. I'm not great at picking out things to suit others' tastes, and I just want the B&G to get something they want)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:00:58 PM »
I love this one:

Don't ask the bride/groom for any favors.
Like, if they can take your picture. Or if they know the best highway for you to take home.

Umm, yeah. Lots of people need to hear this. I think especially younger people who don't have as much life experience and aren't as used to be totally self-sufficient.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
I tend to view Cosmo as a magazine for those just out of school. (I think I aged out of it  a while back.) So the tips are really aimed at people who haven't been to "adult" formal events very often.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls