Wedding Bliss and Blues > Receptions

The never ending glass clinking

<< < (2/7) > >>

Seraphia:

--- Quote from: kategillian on February 24, 2014, 12:38:02 PM ---Or, you know, they could just stop kissing!

--- End quote ---

Friends of ours went the opposite route.

First clink: normal smooch

Second clink: falling under the table makeout session.

There wasn't a third round of clinking.

Luci:

--- Quote from: Seraphia on February 24, 2014, 01:47:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: kategillian on February 24, 2014, 12:38:02 PM ---Or, you know, they could just stop kissing!

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

One couple had bride and groom stuffed bears on the table in front of them. They did the first couple of kisses, then didn't quit what they were doing - eating, drinking, talking to someone - just picked up the bears in one hand and let them have a quick kiss without losing a beat.

daen:

--- Quote from: Seraphia on February 24, 2014, 01:47:28 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

We first had our MC announce that there would be no acknowledgement of glass-clinking prior to/during the main course.
Then, when it was open season, so to speak, we kissed long enough at the first kiss that everyone got just a little bit uncomfortable. (Except us, of course.  8) )

End result: first kiss=last kiss.

I have also heard of a wedding where the MC announced you had to sing a song with the word "love" in it. After someone did that, the MC announced that now the song had to contain "love" and the couple's names. Third was "love," "heart," couple's names. Then they added "stethoscope." Then they added "xylophone." I  don't think it went any further than that.

Lynn2000:
The glass-clinking thing is done in my family. It does get irritating after a while, not just to the HC but also to other guests, who 1) have to listen to the high-pitched noise; and 2) feel like they have to pay attention to the HC kissing and then applaud. So if an HC doesn't like it, they can also think about how it might be irritating some of their guests, if that would spur them to action.

What I've seen done is that the HC simply ignores the clinking. Usually this is after five or six times kissing, so the "kiss viewers" have certainly gotten plenty. Then they just keep eating or talking or whatever and eventually the clinking dies out. To me it's something that is cute when used minimally but can quickly become obnoxious.

daen:
My now-brother-in-law was unfamiliar with the custom, but thought it was pretty cool when it was explained as something he should expect.
After one round of clinking began at their reception, I saw my sister elbow him in the ribs and heard her say "You're not supposed to start it!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version