Author Topic: The never ending glass clinking  (Read 3624 times)

StoutGirl

The never ending glass clinking
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »
We have been in a wedding streak in the past few years, and almost every single reception involves the clinking of the glasses to get the couple to kiss.  The problem is that the guests can get incredibly obnoxious about it-like every 5 minutes the clinking starts up again until the couple kisses.  I can imagine that it would be very annoying for the couple who are trying to eat or converse with other people.  I know I would be if I were in that position.  In one family, the first to get married had the constant clinking.  When the next sibling got married, they had a jar set up so anytime the guests wanted to see the couple kiss, they had to pay.  I think that it was a little rude due to money grubbing, but it certainly put a stop to the constant clinking.

So what say you E-hellions?  Is this just something that you have to put up with?  Or is there a polite way to put an end to it after the first couple of times? 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The never ending glass clinking
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:51 PM »
I've seen other variations:  You have to get up and sing a song with the word 'love' in it; you have to tell a story about either the bride or the groom (or both); you have to sink a putt on an indoor putting green.  If you miss, you have to kiss your date.

My brother and his stbxw did the song with love thing.  And when it got to be too many, they started going out and kissing other people, instead, starting with the family.  That shut things down pretty quick.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
I've never witnessed that before but I can tell you, it would drive me to distraction! Once or twice? Ok, it's cute. But around about the third time I'd be like,  :o. I mean, not only does it interrupt the HC from doing what they were doing, eating, talking, whatever, but it seems like it would put a halt to all conversation around the room.

What if someone in authority, Father of the bride or MC of the entertainment or the officiant if s/he were attending the reception simply announced to please desist.

kategillian

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 12:38:02 PM »
Or, you know, they could just stop kissing!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
We beat it by kissing all the time.

So nobody had any reason to want to make us do it.

It wasn't intentional. Just a side-effect.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 01:47:28 PM »

Friends of ours went the opposite route.

First clink: normal smooch

Second clink: falling under the table makeout session.

There wasn't a third round of clinking.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »

One couple had bride and groom stuffed bears on the table in front of them. They did the first couple of kisses, then didn't quit what they were doing - eating, drinking, talking to someone - just picked up the bears in one hand and let them have a quick kiss without losing a beat.

daen

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

We first had our MC announce that there would be no acknowledgement of glass-clinking prior to/during the main course.
Then, when it was open season, so to speak, we kissed long enough at the first kiss that everyone got just a little bit uncomfortable. (Except us, of course.  8) )

End result: first kiss=last kiss.

I have also heard of a wedding where the MC announced you had to sing a song with the word "love" in it. After someone did that, the MC announced that now the song had to contain "love" and the couple's names. Third was "love," "heart," couple's names. Then they added "stethoscope." Then they added "xylophone." I  don't think it went any further than that.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 03:24:25 PM »
The glass-clinking thing is done in my family. It does get irritating after a while, not just to the HC but also to other guests, who 1) have to listen to the high-pitched noise; and 2) feel like they have to pay attention to the HC kissing and then applaud. So if an HC doesn't like it, they can also think about how it might be irritating some of their guests, if that would spur them to action.

What I've seen done is that the HC simply ignores the clinking. Usually this is after five or six times kissing, so the "kiss viewers" have certainly gotten plenty. Then they just keep eating or talking or whatever and eventually the clinking dies out. To me it's something that is cute when used minimally but can quickly become obnoxious.
~Lynn2000

daen

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
My now-brother-in-law was unfamiliar with the custom, but thought it was pretty cool when it was explained as something he should expect.
After one round of clinking began at their reception, I saw my sister elbow him in the ribs and heard her say "You're not supposed to start it!"

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:05:58 PM »
Many years ago, I was at a wedding of friends, seated with another friend.  Every time the new couple kissed, she'd rate it on a scale of 1 to 10.  Her own wedding was a few months later so the other bridesmaid and I made up scoring cards with 6, 7, 8, 9 and .0 or .5 on them.  And then there was a 'Get a Room' card.

We did warn her mother that we'd done this so she wasn't shocked but when the bride and groom kissed the first time, the wedding party held up score cards - we'd given a set to the groomsmen.  The entire room cracked up.  I don't remember exactly how it worked but in order to get the B & G to kiss, you had to demonstrate by kissing your date, or something.  So we started rating those kisses, too.  The first one's to get the 'Get a Room' card?  The groom's parents.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

LtPowers

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
We completely ignored it, right from the top (by prior agreement).  The guests got the hint.  Our guests are smart.

Powers  &8^]

baritone108

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
So what say you E-hellions?  Is this just something that you have to put up with?  Or is there a polite way to put an end to it after the first couple of times?

When my girls were in their teens they would talk about wedding plans and the younger one came up with an interesting solution for this.  She said that they wouldn't kiss when people clinked glasses.  Instead, she was going to give out little squirt guns and she and the groom would kiss when they saw water flying across the room.  They were only going to do it (kiss) 3 times, though, so people would be warned to choose their moments.  :-)    She didn't do this when she actually got married.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
I've never understood wanting to see my friends/loved ones kiss. They just got married, it's safe to assume they're in love, I don't need them to kiss on cue to prove it to me. Actually in general, I don't need people kissing to prove they love each other. I'm fine with just believing them.

Haven't figured out what, if anything, we'll do. Maybe, anytime someone clinks a glass we'll throw some Hershey Kisses in their general direction. Or maybe we'll kiss other people. Clink a glass, we come over and smooch you!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 06:03:40 PM »
Don't do that--then they'll all clink.