Author Topic: The never ending glass clinking  (Read 3352 times)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Re: The never ending glass clinking
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
I've been to weddings with clinking and it's annoying.

One wedding required that a couple "demonstrate" for the HC...my parents participated and my dad literally swept my mom off her feet...it was nice and it made me smile and nobody went overboard.

My cousin's wedding featured a bunch of sayings, short verses or proverbs to do with love.  Each one was written down, then split into two sections.  In order to get the HC to kiss, guests had to present them with two correct halves of proverb/poem/whatever.

Since I'm a mechanic, I've always liked the idea of small bowls or baskets of random nuts and bolts of various sizes.  In order to get me and my (hypothetical) future spouse to kiss, guests must bring us a correctly-meshing set of nut and bolt.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

twoferrets

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
This is one of several things I'm not looking forward to!  I'm already sort of petrified about the idea of walking down the aisle with lots of people staring at me (I told my mom I don't want everybody LOOKING at me, and after she stopped laughing she reminded me that that's what people do at weddings-- look at the bride and groom).  The idea of friends, family, and (CRUD MONKEYS!) co-workers witnessing repeated clink kisses makes me want to crawl into a hole.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
This is one of several things I'm not looking forward to!  I'm already sort of petrified about the idea of walking down the aisle with lots of people staring at me (I told my mom I don't want everybody LOOKING at me, and after she stopped laughing she reminded me that that's what people do at weddings-- look at the bride and groom).  The idea of friends, family, and (CRUD MONKEYS!) co-workers witnessing repeated clink kisses makes me want to crawl into a hole.

People can clink glasses all they want.  Doesn't mean you have to do anything in response.  I would agree with my soon-to-be-spouse in advance to not give in to the pressure.  Or do something like the teddy bears thing that was mentioned upthread.  I personally abhor kissing in public (for myself-- I don't really care if others want to smooch), and there is no way that anybody would get me to do so by clinking a glass or otherwise being annoying.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »
Don't do that--then they'll all clink.

Wait..will the clink for chocolate or smooches from us? The chocolate I can totally see. I'll do a lot for chocolate. Of course while I have a fantastic arm I have terrible aim. I'm pretty sure I'll end up hitting someone in the eye and I'd bet that stop the clinking. I am mostly joking...I think.

123sandy

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »
I have never heard of this being done, is this something new?

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 08:06:54 PM »
I have never heard of this being done, is this something new?

No, this is a thing that's been going on at weddings for a very long time.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Jones

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
We used clear plastic cups. They were pretty-ish, disposable, unbreakable and didn't clink.

jmarvellous

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
We avoided this (incidentally, not intentionally) by having our reception at a dry venue with nice-ish plastic cups and no toasts (that part was intentional). Our after-party (second half of the reception) was full of alcohol, but again no toasts and this time no silverware with which to clink!

I think we'd have had fun with it, but I don't participate in the clinking at others' weddings because of how excessive it can be, and because I think we should all kiss when we want to--and that's it. (Though, come to think of it, I haven't seen it nearly as much in my generation's weddings as before.)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
That stopped with one round at SIL's wedding.  Idiot teenage BIL, seated next to me, had evidently been told about this, but was NOT informed that it should be done with the back of a spoon, GENTLY.   He delivered a mighty WHACK! to a wineglass with the sharp edge of his knife, with the predictable results.  Glass sprayed all over; the caterer had to replace several plates of food because we were worried about finding shards in our dinner.  BIL's, mine, the person on the other side of BIL, the woman seated across from him, and I think the two people seated next to her.   ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kaymar

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »
If anyone starts clinking things at my wedding, I will not be amused.

Lynda_34

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 01:14:15 AM »
I've never understood wanting to see my friends/loved ones kiss. They just got married, it's safe to assume they're in love, I don't need them to kiss on cue to prove it to me. Actually in general, I don't need people kissing to prove they love each other. I'm fine with just believing them.

Haven't figured out what, if anything, we'll do. Maybe, anytime someone clinks a glass we'll throw some Hershey Kisses in their general direction. Or maybe we'll kiss other people. Clink a glass, we come over and smooch you!
MMMMMMMMMMMM chocolate  ;) ;D ::)

Actually when my ex and I got married, we had a picnic for the reception.  Nice.  We went to cut the cake and all of a sudden heard glass clinking. My ex looked around and asked, "Where did they get glasses."  Guests were clinking on the condiments jars for the burgers and hot dogs. ;D

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »

You know, there is no rule saying you have to walk down the aisle. You could enter from the side at the same time as your fiance enters from the other side. People will still look at you (cause your mom is right, that is sort what they do at weddings) but it'd be less BIG GRAND ENTRANCE and you could just focus on your fiance like "Oh, I'm walking over to meet him, cool, I like that guy, he's a nice guy" and try to ignore everyone else.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
A couple can also completely ignore the clinking of the glasses.

If you have a DJ or bandleader or emcee of any sort, brief them on it. Then, the first time the clinking gets out of hand, he or she can announce, "The couple asked me to let you know, they won't be kissing on demand today, so please don't clink the glassware."

lofty

• My blog and shops
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
Our DJ was awesome with this; he has a wonderful method for no-clinking at weddings.

He cleared it with us, then announced at the beginning of the reception that clinking glasses will do nothing. If people want us to kiss, they must approach the head table and sing us a love song acapella.  >:D

We kissed 5 times and were done before the salad course was complete.
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

TeamBhakta

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »

I realized something many years ago. It involved "A wedding would be nice. But I don't like walking down the aisle. Oh, & I don't look good in white. Hey, there's a whole bunch of wedding traditions I don't like. Why don't I look up the origins ?...Huh, so apparently I'm supposed to do things a certain way because of Queen Victoria's wedding, evil spirits showing up and fertility symbols. Apologies to Vicky & company, but I don't give a scrabble enough to keep those traditions up. I will plan my wedding like a kick butt party instead."