Author Topic: Child Sized Portions and Buffets  (Read 7893 times)

LadyL

Re: Child Sized Portions and Buffets
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 09:39:25 AM »
As I said, I would provide a much more balanced meal.  Others may not, but I would look at their hosting if it is a very carb heavy meal as an inconsiderate host offering.

I eat a low carb diet, and frequently run into the issue of catered food being very carb heavy (i.e. pasta salad and sandwiches at a lunch function). It is sometimes frustrating, but I recognize it for what it is, a cost saving measure. If there is lots of extra food I will sometimes deconstruct a sandwich and eat only the meat and cheese, or pick the cheese and toppings off a slice of pizza leaving  the crust. In the case of chicken alfredo, I would try to get a serving that was mostly chicken and just a few bites of pasta - that plus salad would be enough (thankfully I have a small appetitie). If it was REALLY scant on the chicken (like, 2 cubes per serving or something) then I guess I'd be slightly annoyed if there was NO other protein available (like a meat and cheese platter, or even breaded chicken cutlets with cheese on top or something). But I still don't know if I'd find it *inconsiderate*. Many people can eat a carb-heavy meal and be perfectly satisfied. I tend to have a protein bar with me at all times for such situations, because my dietary restrictions are primarily my responsibility to deal with.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2014, 08:12:11 AM »
As I said, I would provide a much more balanced meal.  Others may not, but I would look at their hosting if it is a very carb heavy meal as an inconsiderate host offering.

I eat a low carb diet, and frequently run into the issue of catered food being very carb heavy (i.e. pasta salad and sandwiches at a lunch function). It is sometimes frustrating, but I recognize it for what it is, a cost saving measure. If there is lots of extra food I will sometimes deconstruct a sandwich and eat only the meat and cheese, or pick the cheese and toppings off a slice of pizza leaving  the crust. In the case of chicken alfredo, I would try to get a serving that was mostly chicken and just a few bites of pasta - that plus salad would be enough (thankfully I have a small appetitie). If it was REALLY scant on the chicken (like, 2 cubes per serving or something) then I guess I'd be slightly annoyed if there was NO other protein available (like a meat and cheese platter, or even breaded chicken cutlets with cheese on top or something). But I still don't know if I'd find it *inconsiderate*. Many people can eat a carb-heavy meal and be perfectly satisfied. I tend to have a protein bar with me at all times for such situations, because my dietary restrictions are primarily my responsibility to deal with.

I think Stouffers frozen dinners are pretty light on the chicken and even they have 26grams of protein.  They're not huge servings I think its reasonably close to what a carter would consider a serving. Considering an adult needs less then 60 grams , any lunch that hits around 15 grams of protein I would consider balanced for protein.
http://www.stouffers.com/products/detail.aspx?id=199&c=55#   the page was very slow to open.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
I'm on Atkins (for weight loss reasons, not medical), and I would be disappointed if I went to a wedding and found the only entree choices were chicken alfredo and tortellini. But big whoop -- I'm disappointed. Not the HC's problem. I wouldn't consider them rude for not providing a carb-free entree; this is my issue. I can eat the salad and maybe pick the chicken pieces out of the alfredo. Or declare a cheat day for myself and eat the pasta. Or pick something up on the way home.

I think the OP is safe in ordering half-price meals for guests under 7. Even if one or two 6- or 7-year-olds eat a lot, they'll probably be balanced out by an adult or two who doesn't eat much.

Definitely don't do separate plates for salad. Juggling two plates at a self-serve buffet is a recipe for disaster, especially if there are long dresses, high heels and/or children involved. And besides, if guests are required to put their salad on the same plate as their entree, they're less likely to take too much of the entree -- not enough room on the plate!
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady