Wedding Bliss and Blues > Receptions

Paying for Bar Service at Reception

(1/4) > >>

Texas Mom:
Where I live, one of the major venues does not allow hosted bars - they have to be cash bars.

The last wedding I went to there, the hosts had pads of tickets printed up.  They had a place for the guest to sign & give to the bartenders as payment.  The bartender took the drink order, wrote down the charge and it was tossed into a box for the hosts to settle up on later.   We were given 5 tickets each when we checked in & were told if we wanted more, to ask.  This was in no way an attempt to curb consumption - there were unlimited tickets available.

This was their way of obeying the rules of the facility while taking care of their guests.

It seems to me this would be a more cost efficient way to pay for drinks rather than paying $70/guest for 3-4 hours of bar service.

Has anyone ever seen this done before?  Is it considered gauche?  Opinions, please!

sammycat:
I haven't seen it done at weddings, although I have at work-like functions.  I think the hosts of the wedding you attended came up with a good compromise.

Cash bars are pretty normal where I am, although most hosts will cover the cost of beer and wine. I very rarely drink alcohol so the presence, or not, of alcohol at a wedding makes no different to me (hate the taste), but I am curious as to why a venue would be anti hosted bars? Surely they'd make more money that way?

mrkitty:
This is just a guess, but I would imagine it has to do with local alcohol ordinances, maybe?

Zizi-K:
If I went to a wedding and they had this kind of system, I would assume that they had to do it because of some rule or regulation. In my area, an open bar wouldn't cost anywhere near $70pp for 4 hours, it would be more like $25-$30, in which case it would not make better financial sense to pay per drink.

Texas Mom:

--- Quote from: mrkitty on February 27, 2014, 01:30:11 AM ---This is just a guess, but I would imagine it has to do with local alcohol ordinances, maybe?
--- End quote ---

It is, indeed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version