Wedding Bliss and Blues > Receptions

Paying for Bar Service at Reception

<< < (2/4) > >>

DavidH:
From a cost standpoint, you would want to know about how much people drink.  If they are big drinkers, open bar may work better for you, if they are not, then the ticket system works.  I've only seen it at work functions, but so long as tickets are easy to get, I don't see a reason why you couldn't do it at a private function.  Since it is extra work for the host, I'd want to make sure I saved enough money to make it work. 

Lynn2000:
Sounds like a good way to have an open bar in reality, while not violating the venue's policies. I'm impressed the venue allowed it, though, since it seems like it would be more work for them (someone would have to total up every individual drink).

Remember the thread from a while ago, where the couple wanted only a limited alcohol selection (which the HC would pay for), but the venue insisted that they be able to display all their alcohol selection and would make a drink for cash upon request? So even though the couple had no intention of having a cash bar, if they went with this venue it was either pay for a completely open bar themselves, or pay for limited alcohol with a sort of "black market" cash bar on the side. I realize some people/places feel like they're strapped for venues, but just on principle I'd rather have my reception somewhere else, than have it somewhere that forced me to do something I really didn't want to.

shhh its me:

--- Quote from: Zizi-K on February 27, 2014, 09:06:26 AM ---If I went to a wedding and they had this kind of system, I would assume that they had to do it because of some rule or regulation. In my area, an open bar wouldn't cost anywhere near $70pp for 4 hours, it would be more like $25-$30, in which case it would not make better financial sense to pay per drink.

--- End quote ---
Here its less then that even.  You might see $70 per person if it included the food as well. 

Wintergreen:
Personally, I think the idea is fine (to have tokens). And even if it was to limit how much people drink, I still think it would be fine. However, I do think that non-alcohol options should still be easily available.

But this topic opened well my eyes why open bar is such common (and voted option) in USA. If it costs $25-$30 per person, I understand very well. I don't think the alcohol law allows here such open bar that you could just pay for set amount and people could drink as much as they wish for limited time. Open bar is basically only possible so that either HC sets price limit and each "purchase" from guest is reduced from that or that they just pay the bill afterwards. That 25-30 per person would amount for like 2, max 3 beers per person (and not any good beers, but just the basic lager). Very eye opening this was!

LtPowers:

--- Quote from: Wintergreen on March 02, 2014, 02:35:04 PM ---But this topic opened well my eyes why open bar is such common (and voted option) in USA. If it costs $25-$30 per person, I understand very well. I don't think the alcohol law allows here such open bar that you could just pay for set amount and people could drink as much as they wish for limited time. Open bar is basically only possible so that either HC sets price limit and each "purchase" from guest is reduced from that or that they just pay the bill afterwards. That 25-30 per person would amount for like 2, max 3 beers per person (and not any good beers, but just the basic lager). Very eye opening this was!

--- End quote ---

US$10 for any beer is ridiculous.  Perhaps your dollar is worth less than the U.S. Dollar?

Powers  &8^]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version