Author Topic: Things You Misread...  (Read 887 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Things You Misread...
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
I always misread shopfitter for shoplifter. What strange words do you frequently misread?

On the main story of yesterday, the word aromantic came up, and I automatically read that as aromatic. As in Chinese crispy duck.   :(  My brain is strange!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

mime

Re: Things You Misread...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 01:31:11 PM »
I read "aromatic", on yesterday's post too! In fact I went back and re-read it two more times before I saw what it really said.

In church-related education classes as an early teen, I kept having trouble whenever I saw the words "immorality" and "immortality". That one letter sure can change the meaning of a Bible verse....

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:59:37 PM »
Some judges for a well-known writing contest were talking on Twitter about how there's always quite a bit of juggling of mentees right before the winners are announced.  (Winning = getting a successful author to take you under their wing for a while.)

I misread it as "juggling of manatees" and couldn't for the life of me figure out what they were talking about.  It's a great mental image, though!

twoferrets

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 02:09:02 PM »
A friend of mine recently posted a tutorial for building chicken feeders- I saw "chicken fedoras," which I maintain is the more entertaining interpretation.

Also, there is a poster on this very board who goes by the name of CrochetFanatic.  I am sure she is a lovely person, so I am ashamed of myself every time I misread that as "Crotch Fanatic" and giggle.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
Somebody on Freegle offered a bag of DIY magazines, which I read, both when they were offered, and when they were taken, as a bag of dirty magazines.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »
Lol!!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

menley

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 06:38:48 PM »
Also, there is a poster on this very board who goes by the name of CrochetFanatic.  I am sure she is a lovely person, so I am ashamed of myself every time I misread that as "Crotch Fanatic" and giggle.

You too?  ;D

blueyzca01

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
Not that there's anything wrong with being a crotch fanatic...
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 01:20:45 AM »
Not so much misread, as mistype.  I work in public health.  For some reason I really need to be careful, because I've been known to lose my L...   :-[

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:36 AM »
I live not far from Cooperstown, New York, home of the Baseball Hall of Fame. There is a brewery in Cooperstown, and all their beers have baseball names: Old Slugger, Strikeout Stout, Benchwarmer Porter ... you get the idea.

Once in a beverage store, I spotted a six-pack of P--- R--- Ale. Because it was on the shelf next to several of the Cooperstown Brewery offerings, I misread it as "Pete Rose Ale."

As anyone who follows baseball knows, Pete Rose has been deemed ineligible for the Hall of Fame because of the gambling scandal. So it surprised me that Cooperstown Brewery would name a brew after him.

They didn't. It was a non-Cooperstown product called Post Road Ale.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 10:43:22 AM »
...  I am sure she is a lovely person, so I am ashamed of myself every time I misread that as "Crotch Fanatic" and giggle.

I originally read it as "Crotchety Fanatic" and had visions of a little woman somewhere yelling at little kids to stay out of her yard!!