Author Topic: My Child Is Crying Because...  (Read 13689 times)

Hurricane Marathon

Re: My Child Is Crying Because...
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:08 PM »
Same kid I posted about earlier. One time I made him a sticker album and I put a few stickers in it to get him started.  His dad later told me that the boy cried about the stickers because apparently we were supposed to put them in there "together."  Who new?  ::)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 02:19:15 PM »
My oldest is crying be he (against my advice and orders) taught Baby to sword fight. Baby doesn't fully understand what materials are appropriate for sword fighting (the foam play swords) or when it is appropriate to play (when both parties are armed and expecting it). Baby just walked up and thwaped big Brother with a broom handle.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Hillia

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
When DS was about 7 we used to listen to, and sing along with, a tape of Phantom of the Opera with the original Broadway cast.  We are both awful singers but had a blast belting out the tunes, especially the multi-part songs.  This was our tradition driving in the car every day to and from school.  For some reason, we kept rewinding the tapes and listening to the first part rather than going all the way to the end.  Finally one day we listened to the end of the tape, and he asked me what had happened (the lyrics don't really narrate exactly what's going on).  I told him that Eric had escaped the mob, but he had lost Christine, lost the Opera, and lost his music.  Silence from the passenger seat.  I looked over and he was doubled over, sobbing so hard he couldn't make a sound. Poor kid.  Fortunately the sad ending didn't ruin the music for him, and we continued to enjoy singing along with minimum talent but maximum emotion and enjoyment!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:15 PM »
Not my child, but in college, I was on the swim team, and we used to DRIVE from Maryland to Florida over Christmas break, to train. My coach drove, and one memorable year, we took a detour through Tennessee, to drop off his daughter, who was maybe 3? at his parent's or in-laws. In the gigantic 10 passenger college vans.  So at one point, we are all hungry, and looking for somewhere to stop and eat. But prior to that, for 2 solid hours, she screamed, at the top of her lungs "I WANT COKE AND SALAD" Needless to say we were quite happy to stop and oblige.

magicdomino

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »
My oldest is crying be he (against my advice and orders) taught Baby to sword fight. Baby doesn't fully understand what materials are appropriate for sword fighting (the foam play swords) or when it is appropriate to play (when both parties are armed and expecting it). Baby just walked up and thwaped big Brother with a broom handle.

Is it bad that I laughed at this?   ;)

Frog24

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Slight spin off -- Reason my child (13 mos) is shrieking.  Ear-splitting, gut curdling, glass shattering shrieks. 

At any given moment it's because she's:

• happy
  • sad
  • hungry
  • no longer hungry
  • thirsty
  • no longer thirsty
  • excited
  • really excited
  • wants me to pick her up
  • wants me to put her down
  • wants me to pick her up because I just set her down
  • wants me to put her back down again because she didn't *really* want to be held

This started when she "discovered her voice" at 6 months, and hasn't stopped yet.  I keep ear plugs on hand at all times.  My husband and I look at each other and say "Thank goodness she's cute."  It's also good to note that we're really good friends with all our neighbours because otherwise we may have had Child Services knocking on our door a few times.  It seriously sounds like someone's causing her great physical bodily harm.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:01:05 PM by Frog24 »

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 11:28:34 PM »
I honestly believe that the cuteness of small children is a survival mechanism hard-wired in.  We can be so mad her and then 5 minutes later she smiles. 

greencat

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 03:27:02 AM »
My maternal instincts are all kitten-directed - and I can't tell you how many times I've been mad at the kitten for doing something and then discovered that my brain abruptly turned to goo when she started doing something cute.

Reason my dog was making his high-pitched, "Something is wrong mommy!" whiny noise:  the cat was in his way.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 06:39:20 AM »
I honestly believe that the cuteness of small children is a survival mechanism hard-wired in.  We can be so mad her and then 5 minutes later she smiles.

This has been my philosophy for the last 13 years as well.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 10:15:45 AM »

There is scientific evidence to suggest that this is true, and that it is cross-species. The bigger eyes of all species seems to trigger protective instincts, even between what could be predator and prey.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2014, 04:10:56 PM »
Last week one of my nieces was crying because
- first, she didn't want to take a bath
- second, her mother took her out of the bathtub because she didn't want to take a bath
- third, her mother tried to put her back into the bathtub

I vaguely remember being a young kid, and crying because my grandfather put my peanut butter and jelly on the same slice of bread, instead of two different slices.  I'm embarrassed to recall that now.

Carotte

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »
I don't remember freaking out about things like that, or seeing a kid cry because of nothing (I did my fare share of babysitting).
How long does this last? is it like 30 seconds of crying and tantrum or does it last and last and last... 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »
Hollanda, you have my sympathy about the Dummy (or as my 2 year old calls it, "Da bink").  We're trying to wean him off step by step so he's only allowed it when he's in his bed but sometimes the older two forget to pull it out and put it up when they let him out of his room in the morning. And we only have one bink now but he sometimes will take it out and say "Eww" or "Gwoss" and demand another bink and cry if none is forthcoming.

Today he cried when he wasn't allowed to stand up in the grocery cart, or when I tried to steal his nose.  He's taken to yelling "OW!" loudly when someone tries to make him do something he doesn't want to do.  Last week at church someone asked if I'd been pinching him. (she wasn't serious, I don't think)  When I told her this she said "Hmm, I guess he probably does that a lot then!"

It's a dummin with DS. He puts a superfluous in on the end of most words. Tummy is tummin etc. but shower is showel, and tower is towel. He's weaning himself from dummin. We're down to just two that he will have now.

We had tears this morning because he didn't want to turn TV on himself so Daddy did it. So DS then had to turn it off then on again.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 06:33:39 AM »

Mine for the past 2.5 years...!!
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

perpetua

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 06:34:41 AM »
Someone feel free to spin off this one to "My cat is meowing because..." or "My dog is barking because..."

Done! http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=132627.0