Author Topic: My Child Is Crying Because...  (Read 14064 times)

CakeEater

Re: My Child Is Crying Because...
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »
Mine have taken to arguing, which devolves into crying, over abstract concepts. For no apparent reason, the 4 year-old will just lean over to the just 3 year-old and say, 'You can't have red.' Not any actual red object, just the colour red.

Of course, having been told he can't have the abstract concept of 'red', it's now the thing he wants most in the world, and lets out an enormous wail insisting that he must now have red. Of course, once he's crying, the one who started it gets upset and joins in.

So I'm left with two wailing kids, trying to work out how to settle an argument where nothing is actually being argued over.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 08:52:18 AM »
Mine have taken to arguing, which devolves into crying, over abstract concepts. For no apparent reason, the 4 year-old will just lean over to the just 3 year-old and say, 'You can't have red.' Not any actual red object, just the colour red.

Of course, having been told he can't have the abstract concept of 'red', it's now the thing he wants most in the world, and lets out an enormous wail insisting that he must now have red. Of course, once he's crying, the one who started it gets upset and joins in.

So I'm left with two wailing kids, trying to work out how to settle an argument where nothing is actually being argued over.

That has just made my day.

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 08:55:01 AM »
Any attempts to wipe his face off are met with screams and thrashing.   He will also say "OW!" Even if he's not being hurt.  Someone at my church asked me once if I was pinching him or something and I told her nope, he just says it when he doesn't like what a person's doing (like carrying him out when he's being disruptive, or taking a crayon away before he tries to draw on the hymnal or prayer books)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 09:04:16 AM »
Any attempts to wipe his face off are met with screams and thrashing.   He will also say "OW!" Even if he's not being hurt.  Someone at my church asked me once if I was pinching him or something and I told her nope, he just says it when he doesn't like what a person's doing (like carrying him out when he's being disruptive, or taking a crayon away before he tries to draw on the hymnal or prayer books)

Ah the reaction-provoking OW. We get that too. And the "STOP MUMMY!!! HURTS!!!" For goodness sake, I was wiping his hands which were absolutely caked in mud and heavens only knows what else.  ::)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2014, 07:37:09 PM »
3yo DD pulled the lettuce off her sandwich today and told me it was a dragon. I told her to eat her lunch. She decided that her dragon (lettuce) was Toothless, from How To Train Your Dragon. Also, the rest of her sandwich was Stormfly. She was happily playing, engaged in conversation between her lettuce and sandwich when I cruelly insisted she eat her lunch. She ate her chips, then started crying because that was Stormfly's lunch (yes, she was 'feeding' chips to her sandwich)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »

Ah the reaction-provoking OW. We get that too. And the "STOP MUMMY!!! HURTS!!!" For goodness sake, I was wiping his hands which were absolutely caked in mud and heavens only knows what else.  ::)

I often find myself trying to remember if the older two were like this but it's been so many years I just can't recall, honestly. Chances are that they probably were.

And twiggy, that made me laugh. I love when their imaginations really take off but sometimes it really does make it hard to get them to do what we need them to do. Littlest Pirate has taken to forming a diamond with his index fingers and thumbs and putting it to his right eye, looking through it like a spyglass. And he will do that at bedtime too when I'm just trying to tuck him in.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

PurpleFrog

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »
Tadpole cried becase Daddy took his wallet to work.  :-\
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Elisabunny

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
My 7-year-old had a full-blown tantrum on Friday, because we wouldn't let her turn her sister's birthday dinner into a birthday party for her stuffed animals.  Yes, her brain is still a little off from her bone marrow transplant, but really.   ::)

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

lilfox

« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:31 PM »
Because she was "too cozy" and couldn't fall asleep at bedtime.  An hour later it was because she was afraid of the rain (it wasn't raining).  It was fake crying though.  She knows we respond quickly and sympathetically to actual crying, but she's not able to pull off a convincing acting job yet.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »
- I couldn't find The Sooty Show on Catch up TV.
- We ran out of Jaffa Cakes
- He wanted his red coat, not his blue one (this test changes daily.  Just when I think I have him sussed, he changes the rules.)
- He wanted a pee, then he didn't, then he did. (He didn't in the end).

This was why it took us nearly 2 hours to leave the house yesterday.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
The toddler years make me nostalgic for the times I could just put him in his sleeper, strap him into the car seat and go.  I swear it takes me longer to get out of the house now than it did when he was 2 months old.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
The toddler years make me nostalgic for the times I could just put him in his sleeper, strap him into the car seat and go.  I swear it takes me longer to get out of the house now than it did when he was 2 months old.

Oh yes.  All these people saying "Independence is so great!" really need a kick up their bums. Yes, it is great.  But letting them Do Things For Themselves takes forever and most of us normal folk just don't have 2 hours to spare on a normal day, just so the little precious can fill his own juice cup or put his own coat on or (worst of all IMO) walk BY THEMSELVES ANYWHERE.  They either walk at a snails pace (typical on a morning I am already late) or go hurtling ahead at superspeed, fall over, scrape their hands and then demand to be carried the rest of the way or demand their buggy. GGGGGGGGGGAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I feel nostalgic too now.  :D

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 06:25:35 PM »
Baby (1.5yo) is crying because the toy he threw down the stairs is now at the bottom of the stairs. He wants it back, but he doesn't want to go downstairs.

DD, 3yo, is crying because her baby is lost and a monster is going to eat her. Said baby is sitting next to DD on the couch.

DS, 5yo, is crying because his glasses don't like him ???
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

KimberlyM

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2014, 11:08:42 AM »
My 5 year old had a meltdown last night because the new toothbrush I bought him only has one kind of angry bird on it. 

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
I'm so thankful I never wanted children.  I'd likely be frozen in a constant state of bewilderment.  ;D