Author Topic: My Child Is Crying Because...  (Read 14009 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Re: My Child Is Crying Because...
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2014, 12:12:04 PM »
I'm so thankful I never wanted children.  I'd likely be frozen in a constant state of bewilderment.  ;D

Me, too.

My niece, back when she was 4, asked me for a cookie. I gave it to her. She burst into tears. Because I hadn't also given her one to give to her little brother.

Which was sweet, but since at that age she was usually stealing Little Brother's cookies from him, totally unexpected.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, Im possible! Audrey Hepburn

Jones

« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2014, 12:56:48 PM »
Usually my kids are pretty rational over their crying. I couldn't think of any funny stories for this thread, usually I sympathize with their tears (hungry, tired, in pain etc). Heck, yesterday my son's long awaited new dinosaur book finally showed up and DH said he had to take a bath before we read it. DS cried and I about did too but we lived through the bath and were able to lift flaps in the new book fairly happily.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »
I remember crying uncontrollably as a child.  My Mom would ask me, 'Why are you crying?'  '*sob* I *sob* don't *sob* know! *wail*'
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »
She stepped on a worm.   :D  On Tuesday, DD, who is 3, stepped on a particularly large worm in the driveway.  Said worm, now enraged at being stepped on, was flipping and flopping in protest.  DD ran to me, screaming, "run for your lives!", tears streaming down her face and climbing onto me.  I managed to pick her up - she is big for her age, 40" and 40 lbs and then she screamed in my face "save yourself!!"
I had to explain to her that 1.) I couldn't save myself because I busy saving her - from a worm -  and 2.) there was no way I could run for my life carrying her!  I'm a big woman and figure that if it comes to 'fight or flight' I'll have to stay and do my best to fight because 'flight' isn't going to happen.
Once she settled down we checked on ol' wormy.  He seemed no worse for wear and was crawling off towards the grass.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
My oldest is crying be he (against my advice and orders) taught Baby to sword fight. Baby doesn't fully understand what materials are appropriate for sword fighting (the foam play swords) or when it is appropriate to play (when both parties are armed and expecting it). Baby just walked up and thwaped big Brother with a broom handle.

I'm so sorry, I laughed at this. I can so picture my nephews (4 and 1) having this same thing happen to them.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2014, 10:12:08 PM »
My oldest two will play wrestle with Littest Pirate and sometimes this means he will sit on Oldest Pirate's face or chest and bounce. 

Oldest pirate is nearly 13 and nearly as tall as I am, making him about 5'1".  So in other words it's not like he's not capable of gently removing baby brother from on top of him, but he doesn't and will lay there, moaning and groaning.

Or sometimes he or Middle Pirate will sit there and the littlest one will wrap his arms around their necks from behind and try to pull them back which of course means nearly choking them but do they reach up and move his arms? No, they let him squeeze away.  ??? Then laughingly complain 'He was trying to kill us!"

I've lost count of how many times I've said "You do realize YOU are the one older by 10/9 years, right?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2014, 10:56:45 PM »

...  My niece, back when she was 4, asked me for a cookie. I gave it to her. She burst into tears. Because I hadn't also given her one to give to her little brother.

Which was sweet, but since at that age she was usually stealing Little Brother's cookies from him, totally unexpected.

Boy, are you a sucker!!  That's why she was crying.  She wanted another cookie for her little brother -- so SHE could eat it!   ;D

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2014, 05:58:33 AM »
...yesterday the sun was in his eyes and then...
...when the sun went behind a cloud, he cried because it was "too cold".

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
Yesterday he was crying for every reason under the sun, but in his defense he'd had a very long day on Saturday.  DH had a brony event in College Park, and I wanted to do something else as this event involved one of my most despised board games (Monopoly).  DH suggested taking the metro into D.C. since it was the weekend of the Japanese Cherry Blossom festival.  The older two were given the choice of which parent they wanted to stay with and they picked DH which was fine with me, and I took the littlest pirate.

He was so good all day, especially considering the only nap he really had was dozing in the stroller for about 5 minutes under the cherry blossoms. 

He got a good nap in after church though so it was all good in the evening and he was back to being himself.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2014, 03:51:34 PM »
DD was crying the other day because she wanted breakfast for her stuffed giraffe and stuffed tiger. When I declined to make eggs, bacon and carrots for stuffed animals, DS suggested that DD feed her giraffe to the tiger. Because then the giraffe isn't hungry anymore, and tigers eat meat, and giraffes are made of meat.
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Jones

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »
...because I wouldn't let him play naked with his sister and her friend. I told him he couldn't go to them until he was wearing underwear. We compromised and he put on a "kilt" (so much easier to potty train little guys in skirts...just sayin') and the three are now reading dinosaur books.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »
She stepped on a worm.   :D  On Tuesday, DD, who is 3, stepped on a particularly large worm in the driveway.  Said worm, now enraged at being stepped on, was flipping and flopping in protest.  DD ran to me, screaming, "run for your lives!", tears streaming down her face and climbing onto me.  I managed to pick her up - she is big for her age, 40" and 40 lbs and then she screamed in my face "save yourself!!"
I had to explain to her that 1.) I couldn't save myself because I busy saving her - from a worm -  and 2.) there was no way I could run for my life carrying her!  I'm a big woman and figure that if it comes to 'fight or flight' I'll have to stay and do my best to fight because 'flight' isn't going to happen.
Once she settled down we checked on ol' wormy.  He seemed no worse for wear and was crawling off towards the grass.

You just reminded me of a family story involving my cousin Danielle.  Danielle is a triplet, with two brothers, and their father, my favourite uncle, is a very "man's man" sort of guy.  When the triplets were about 5, he took them all fishing.  At some point during the excursion, Danielle caught a fish, which she excitedly reeled in and pulled into the boat (it was a small fish).  Shen she lowered it into the bottom of the boat, it did what fish out of water do, and started flopping around and ultimately ended up flopping all over Danielle's toes.

She immediately started crying and shrieking, "Fish! Fish!  Don't do that!  No! Bad fish!  Don't do that!"

My uncle unhooked the disobedient fish and threw it back.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
...because I wouldn't let him play naked with his sister and her friend. I told him he couldn't go to them until he was wearing underwear. We compromised and he put on a "kilt" (so much easier to potty train little guys in skirts...just sayin') and the three are now reading dinosaur books.

I am totally filing this away in my brain.  We dressed our girl almost exclusively in skirts for that reason.  Diapering was easier too. 
At our wedding, my husband wore a kilt, his brother wore husband's second-best kilt, and the elk on the wall wore the third best kilt.  So, my husband would totally be on board with that idea. 

Elisabunny

« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »

I am totally filing this away in my brain.  We dressed our girl almost exclusively in skirts for that reason.  Diapering was easier too. 
At our wedding, my husband wore a kilt, his brother wore husband's second-best kilt, and the elk on the wall wore the third best kilt.  So, my husband would totally be on board with that idea.

I think I speak for all when I say we need a picture of the kilt-wearing elk.

And, yeah, our ancestors knew what they were doing when they put all small children in dresses until they were potty-trained.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Jones

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
Yup I don't feel bad about the skirts, they aren't frilly at all and I look for boyish patterns. We call them kilts and he's happy to wear them around the house. The difference in potty training has been so noticeable I wish we'd started this weeks ago.

I too would like to see the kilted elk.