Author Topic: It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time  (Read 1496 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »
I posted this a few years ago but it's still a funny story.

Back in the late 1960s, a friend and her DF were planning their Wedding and were a bit strapped for cash.  They may have been listening to a bit too much Elvis Presley or they may not have been too bright but they came up with a brilliant idea.  They could send out their invitations and get their response cards back with out spending a penny on postage. 

They put the addresses of their guests in the return address space and the address of the Bride in the space where the address would go.  They did the same thing with the envelopes for the response cards.  When this was done, all 200 invitations were dumped into a single mailbox in a very small town. 

They had neglected to consider that the town postmaster was invited to the Wedding. 

A few days later, the entire bale of invitations was left on the doorstep of the Bride with a note that read, 'Nice try.' 

kudeebee

Re: It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Duh.  Did they really think the post office workers wouldn't catch that on 200 invitations?  Even a bigger post office would have.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:57:06 AM »
was the wedding theme "dumb and dumber"? ::)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
They are probably lucky that the postmaster was a friend. I don't know for sure, but I would guess that there is a law against doing that.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »
The postmaster was also my cousin.  That's how I know about this story and, yes there are laws against that sort of thing. 

BTW, this same Wedding was the source of the 'Trickster Ring Bearer' story.