Author Topic: Appropriate way to thank employee  (Read 1920 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Appropriate way to thank employee
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
I like the idea of telling her verbally, or better yet writing in an email, how much you appreciate her efforts. Perhaps you could even make it into something that could be put in her permanent file, and of course when the time comes for her annual review (if applicable), make sure to praise her there as well.

I also like the idea of encouraging her to find some kind of work-related opportunity, like a conference or extra training. Basically, something that is available to anyone, but managers usually don't like to fill out the paperwork/approve the time off/etc.--so you're telling her that if she finds something work-related she wants to do, you will go through the effort to make it happen for her. Even if she never does, she may find it meaningful that you sincerely offered. I was going to suggest that this could also apply to work-related equipment/supplies, but I see that she works from home and you're already suspicious of her husband taking/using stuff meant for work, so that might not work as well.
~Lynn2000

Specky

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »
We don't do employee "gifts" except for very small amounts because it is still considered taxable income and the taxes on the value of the gift have to be subtracted from the employees next pay check or they have to report them end of year. It can be challenging.

I can attest to this.  At a former job, we were gifted with a $25.00 grocery store gift card for our holiday bonus.  For many of us, that $25 pushed our income up just enough that our take home was well less than usual and exceeded the amount of the gift card.  Not sure how it worked out that way, but it did.  When you are on a salaried income with a set amount each pay period, it isn't fun, especially when we were all living very close to the bone.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
I work for larger companies.

A  worker can be rewarded by:

A promotion
A larger base pay because they get larger % raises
Yearly bonuses based on group goals
One time bonuses based on a project/activity
Awards  (President Award, etc.)

So I think you are doing many of these...I think that when you do her performance review that you tell her how well she is doing.  Also , you want to retain her so make sure you find out any thing that is bothering her about the company/mgt/her job that you can fix.