News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 10:43:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mystery of the Missing Drinking Glasses.  (Read 14604 times)

sparksals

Re: Mystery of the Missing Drinking Glasses.
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
I have vivid memories of going through bags of trash after the reception at our house after my grandfather died, looking some of my mother's silver flatware.  Well-meaning guests who helped clear up had apparently tossed a couple of forks in the trash.  Weird things happen.  I hope your glasses turn up.

This very thing happened to me.  I got a new set of flatware and used some at a BBQ.  Two forks are missing.  I think some people accidentally tossed the forks b/c there were paper plates as well.

I will never use real silverware with disposable plates. My MIL thinks I should do so at the holidays, but I'm terrified of this.

Yep.  Learned my lesson.  I ran out of plastic cutlery, so didn't have a choice at the last minute.  But won't make that mistake again!

sparksals

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »
I once spent months wondering where the heck one of our 2 cup Pyrex measuring cups had wondered off to. Searched every cupboard of my small kitchen.....the fridge....the freezer. Arrrrrrrgh! Then we had company over months later and I pulled down my large salad bowl. The one that lives on a top shelf in the high cupboard. The one I rarely use. It seems that my every so helpful and much taller DH put away the dishes while I was out and put the measuring cup in the salad bowl.  :o High above my head out of sight. Never mind that the measuring cup has lived in the same drawer for eons. When I moved in I kept it in the same drawer that DH's exact replica was living in. According to DH he had no idea where they are kept and the salad bowl seemed like the proper place to him.  :o

OP have you looked in rarely used pots/large bowls?

Do we have the same husband?  He puts things  in the most obscure spots.  Yet, he has NO problem finding them to USE them himself! But to put away? Whole 'nother story.

sparksals

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2014, 12:56:33 PM »
I wonder if they were left at the skating rink and you will find them in the spring.  Don't know why anyone would take unique glasses like that with them, but you never know!

jackie jormp jomp

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 12:24:31 AM »
The glasses are partying with the socks, hair ties, and pens in the land of missing stuff ;D
Amongst the bobby pins, the tweezers, the lighters, the lip balms...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:27:17 AM by jackie jormp jomp »

squashedfrog

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 02:40:08 AM »
Were there any teenagers in the group? If so, look under any beds or under any furniture near electrical entertainment ie play stations, TVs etc.  big glasses, filled with more pop than a human could possibly drink, then stuffed under beds seems to be the way of the teenager even in other peoples homes.  My mum once found eight tea spoons three plates five mugs and four pint glasses under my brothers bed when we were kids.

Luci

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2014, 08:23:09 AM »
I'd be wondering if someone accidentally broke the glasses and then put them quietly in the trash before I'd go to thinking anyone in my family had stolen them.

I don't think we could put 4 broken glasses in the trash without a telltale sound when moved unless they were held really tightly somehow.

I go with the obscure places beside electronics and under beds. The sofa skirt hides things well, too.

Secret

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
My first thought was that someone collected 4 of them to take them into the kitchen and got sidetracked.  They put them down somewhere with the intent of going back to get them and forgot.  I'd check behind an armchair or some odd place like that. 

Bandu

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
The glasses are partying with the socks, hair ties, and pens in the land of missing stuff ;D
Amongst the bobby pins, the tweezers, the lighters, the lip balms...
Or they're in my mom's overstuffed linen closet, where my prescription sunglasses hid for a year!

RegionMom

• ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »
Any updates? 
Thanks!

I would ask everyone in one big e-mail, but then ask to respond to me individually. 

i also think Christmas decorations might be a place to look.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had some important papers that needed to be put away in a special place for later documentation, and a pile of leftover scrap papers.

Guess who, the next day, realized her mistake and had to dig through the recycling bin at school?

At least the guy the collects it from the classrooms separates the glass from paper, and the room with the bin I used was one of the last collected!   :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

livluvlaf

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
Sorry, no updates yet.

Unless I did accidentally pack them up with Xmas decor, or someone walked all 4 glasses out to the ice rink they are not in the house. Unfortunately I'm not in any position to investigate either, or at least until Mother Nature melts the snow . And then that leaves the Xmas decor, which is quite buried into storage.

If they did grow legs, there would only be one direction they would walk we don't visit BIL very often, but I'd rather wait to see if they turn up once everyone thinks the glasses are long forgotten. The day after the dinner,  I asked my IL's and my parents if they remember putting them anywhere, but they didn't.

I will definitely post once they've been found. Meanwhile, I'll tempt fate and ask my friend to make me a few new ones.