Author Topic: The Very Bizarre Phone Interview  (Read 4894 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: The Very Bizarre Phone Interview
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 12:53:38 PM »
I don't think OP can blame the applicant for the bizarre nature of the interview.

I agree.  Next time be more assertive about *your* agenda, OP, and absolutely do not allow someone to take up more than four times the amount of time allotted for them.  If the interviewee does not let you get a word in edgewise, I would say, "I'm sorry, I can see that this is not going to be a good fit.  I am hanging up now."  And then do.

veronaz

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 01:12:17 PM »
^ I agree, TurtleDove.  And that would not be rude, imo.

lowspark

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
she replied, "Okay, well I have at least 11 or 12 questions right off the bat ..." 

You should have interrupted her right there.

I would have said something like, "The purpose of this call is for me to interview you. I can see about addressing your questions afterwards."

But having failed that (which is completely understandable since you were caught off guard!), you should have stopped her immediately upon realizing this:

after just two minutes of her talking I knew I wasn't going to hire her

It's not rude because it's not a social chat - it's business. And you are the one who should be running the conversation, not her. So the minute she gets off track or if at any time for any reason, you have determined that there is no more need to continue the interview, it's up to you to stop it.

I will never forget an interview I had when I was in college. I answered a question badly. Way badly. And immediately after I gave the answer the interviewer said, well, I don't think you'd work out then (or something like that). And the interview was over. She stood up and shook my hand and I left. She was by no means rude. In fact, she did us both a favor by ending it because she wasn't going to offer me a position and any further discussion would have been a waste of her time and mine. (And I sure did come up with a better answer for when I got asked that same question again!)

Interrupting someone when you are conducting an interview is not rude, nor is it all that unusual.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 02:03:33 PM »
It sounds like she thought she not only already had the job, but was in some type of management position. I think you should have interrupted her and said "Ma'am? I'm calling to do a brief phone interview. I have about 10 questions to ask you, and expect it to take about 15 minutes. Are you ready to begin?"

This is a nice tactic!

As is Bexx's suggestion of saying, "I'm sorry, I have a meeting," just to get you out of it all.

And JenJay's point about people feeling that the job is theirs, and how that influences (and ruins) their approach is really true--I've seen it.

It can be very offputting.

I don't want people who apply with me for a job to grovel or to feel unconfident in their abilities, but I want them to recognize that *I* get to decide, and that they have to please me in order to get through the gate. And that there are other people in the running as well.

and I'm with lowspark, once you know you're not going to hire someone, it's not really polite, actually, to let them go on thinking they've got a shot. Or to use up their time -or- yours.

But boy, do I get the "caught off guard" part. This is your learning experience--think how much better you'll be at taking control next time something somewhat similar comes up!

veronaz

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »
She talked about religion, she made one casually racist statement and one outright racist statement,

Yet OP, you continued to listen to her and answered her questions about your knowledge.

You said you didn't interrupt her because you didn't want to be rude.

I stayed on the phone because I didn't want to be rude.

:-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:00:10 PM by veronaz »

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 03:41:48 PM »
Veronaz, you've made your point quite clearly, and may I say frequently, that you disapprove of the OP's response to this phone interview. Believe me when I say we all get it.

Enough.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Em-and-Em

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
Veronaz, you've made your point quite clearly, and may I say frequently, that you disapprove of the OP's response to this phone interview. Believe me when I say we all get it.

Enough.

Cass2591, thank you.  I am not quite sure why Veronaz feels the need to so persistently blame me for this woman's behavior.  As I have said previously, I did not encourage this behavior - she really did start right out of the gate with nonstop talking and continued from there.

I think I'd've stayed on the phone just as you did, OP, because there was a trainwreck fascination present in the whole monologue. You did get the information you needed -- in spades! -- and if this candidate contacts your employer again, you're well-prepared.

The few minutes spent on listening? Consider the story as a job perq. There are a few of those with most jobs.

I'll admit I'm treating it like a learning experience and as an amusing story.  Next time, thanks to the advice here, I'll be less timid and interrupt an interview hijacker.

If I may defend myself just a little bit - the organization I work for is a very public entity, and that it's been drilled into me that we should never leave a community member feeling disgruntled because we don't want our reputation to suffer.  Part of me felt that I had to humor this woman because I didn't want her to go off thinking, "Well, that museum is just awful!"  At another museum I have worked for, we had to "fire" a few volunteers because they were just terrible, and they turned around and badmouthed us to anyone and everyone who would listen.  It took a lot of work to undo their damage, and after seeing that I try very hard not to create situations where people are angry at my workplace in general.

Lillie82

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2014, 08:57:46 PM »
I'll never forget one "motivational speaker" I heard in college (in what was billed as a "Leadership Seminar," but really focused mostly on career advancement).

This speaker bragged that when he was job-hunting, he would go to all-day interview events, and compare notes with someone who had been interviewed earlier in the day than he had, because "then I control the interview!" He was endorsing that as a strategy for coming across as a go-getter.

My father, a hiring professional for his company, told me many employers are actually turned off by that kind of aggressiveness.

But I think it's fair to say there's a lot of that kind of advice out there, or there was when I was in college, some 10 or so years ago. Em-and-Em's interviewee sounds to me like someone who took that advice to heart.  :(

That same speaker also bragged about going to interviews while still a junior (when he didn't need a job yet) just to get practice. The reason I put "motivational speaker" in quotes when talking about someone like that is that I think that kind of advice tends to have the net result of making the average person feel like they've already failed.

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
I'm guessing that what that speaker meant was that talking to someone else who was interviewed by the same company helps you find out what questions you may be asked so that you can prepare--not so that you can run roughshod over the interviewer!