Author Topic: Do I Tell My Director? UPDATE: Post 29  (Read 7479 times)

BeagleMommy

Do I Tell My Director? UPDATE: Post 29
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:03:40 PM »
They've hired a temp to fill in for me when I go for my surgery.  When I met her this morning I found out she and I had worked in another department of the university about 12 years ago.

She was let go from that position after only 1 year because she was unreliable and had a hard time remembering how the job was supposed to be done.

I'm hoping she has changed since, but I really can't be sure because today is the first day I'm training her.

Do I let my director know about how she was in the past or say nothing and hope for the best?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 03:18:49 PM by BeagleMommy »

lowspark

Re: Do I Tell My Director?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »
Twelve years is a long time. I would want to be judged on my current performance rather than what I did 12 years ago. I think you should give her at least a couple of days and then report to the boss if you find her difficult to work with or unable to handle the job.

The only thing I might do is be more vigilant in testing her to make sure she is grasping everything.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
You could mention that she has worked at the university before and leave it at that. If your director feels it necessary to contact HR about her history he/she can do so. However, if she managed to get hired for the position, it sounds like HR has decided she is fit for the job.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 12:24:29 PM »
How long will you be out after the surgery? How much training does a temp need to do your job? My answer would be different if you will be out for a week or out for a month.

If you will be out for a week or less, and this temp can be expected to be there most of the time and you leave clear, written instructions behind, then maybe I wouldn't mention anything. A person can change a lot in 12 years. But I'd leave a copy of all instructions with the director or someone else, just in case she flakes.

If you will be gone longer, then I think a word to the director might be in order. Some temp agencies are great and really vet their employees and do a good job matching the job to the employee's skill set. Others, not so much. They are willing to fling any warm body that has a fraction of the job skills required into a position. (I've had temp agencies completely misrepresent a job to me and I've walked into offices that were expecting me to have skills sets I simply didn't have. Not my fault, as I've never claimed to be a transcriptionist or to be able to write computer code, but the agency's.)

So what I'd do is observe her very carefully during training. If you see signs that she isn't grasping the work involved, mention to the director that you knew this woman in the past and that she had some reliability issues and ask what the temp agency said about her, and maybe ask if she doesn't work out, will the agency send someone else.

And make sure the director has copies of all instructions for the various parts of your job.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 12:35:30 PM »
How long will you be out after the surgery? How much training does a temp need to do your job? My answer would be different if you will be out for a week or out for a month.

If you will be out for a week or less, and this temp can be expected to be there most of the time and you leave clear, written instructions behind, then maybe I wouldn't mention anything. A person can change a lot in 12 years. But I'd leave a copy of all instructions with the director or someone else, just in case she flakes.

If you will be gone longer, then I think a word to the director might be in order. Some temp agencies are great and really vet their employees and do a good job matching the job to the employee's skill set. Others, not so much. They are willing to fling any warm body that has a fraction of the job skills required into a position. (I've had temp agencies completely misrepresent a job to me and I've walked into offices that were expecting me to have skills sets I simply didn't have. Not my fault, as I've never claimed to be a transcriptionist or to be able to write computer code, but the agency's.)

So what I'd do is observe her very carefully during training. If you see signs that she isn't grasping the work involved, mention to the director that you knew this woman in the past and that she had some reliability issues and ask what the temp agency said about her, and maybe ask if she doesn't work out, will the agency send someone else.

And make sure the director has copies of all instructions for the various parts of your job.

Camlan, I will be out for three weeks during recovery.  Most of the stuff I have to train her on is not difficult but it is quite involved an accuracy is a must.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:51 PM »
I would expect you to alert me. And I would expect you to observe carefully and -fairly- during your training time.

People can change in 12 years, but it's not like she wasn't given a long trial period 12 years ago. And "having trouble remembering how things go" and "being sloppy" are not the sorts of things that people usually get better at. Sometimes.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »
Twelve years is a long time so I wouldn't say anything.
But I would suggest that you CYA in a serious way.  I would  be super, super clear during the training and I would  type out a list of everything that I planned to teach her and check off each item and date it as I went through. I would (if at all appropriate) have a short meeting with her and the director before I left and review the list with the director and the new hire and go over what I had trained her on and ask if there was anything I may have missed and double checking who would be best to ask about each item if things go sideways.

I would want  to leave knowing that
a) I had covered everything, including written instructions where appropriate
b) I had given her a chance for questions and clarification
c) VERY IMPORTANT: That your co-workers and boss are aware of the specific training steps that you have done.

c) is super important because shoddy workers are almost always blamers and will likely blame you for "not telling her". You want to head that off at the pass.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 02:06:08 PM »
They've hired a temp to fill in for me when I go for my surgery.  When I met her this morning I found out she and I had worked in another department of the university about 12 years ago.

She was let go from that position after only 1 year because she was unreliable and had a hard time remembering how the job was supposed to be done.

I'm hoping she has changed since, but I really can't be sure because today is the first day I'm training her.

Do I let my director know about how she was in the past or say nothing and hope for the best?
I would.

say what you said here - it was 12 years ago and i hope she has changed but when i worked with her i found that A and B and C.

(are you both working in the same university now? do your bosses not get information about her?)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 02:50:41 PM »
I'd let the Director know. It might already be something he/she is aware of but having the background is always helpful.

"Hi, Director. Temp and I started the training process today. I realized today I had worked with her in X department 12 years ago before she was let go."  Director can then decide if more information is needed from you.

veronaz

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
Your previous job kept her on for a whole year even though she was unreliable and her performance was poor?   ???  Strange.

Twelve years is a long time.  People's skills and work habits can change.

I'd proceed with the training.  If there is a problem, let the boss know.

Alli8098

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
Your previous job kept her on for a whole year even though she was unreliable and her performance was poor?   ???  Strange.

Twelve years is a long time.  People's skills and work habits can change.

I'd proceed with the training.  If there is a problem, let the boss know.

A job I had for many years hired and kept someone who was clearly not interested in his job, nor did it well.  No one could ever figure out why he was kept and not canned.  All I can think is that his backup (our teams were setup where someone had a dedicated backup in case of illness, emergency, or vacations) was doing the work for him so there were no complaints from his clients about work not getting done.  The downside of that is we had a team member who wasn't doing his job and someone may have been covering for him which really didn't allow us to excel as a team.  Said system almost screwed me over when the person I was the backup for went out of town for a week. 

As was the policy I took care of my accounts first thing in the day (barring no client emergency from one of his accounts) by mid-morning when I went to pull up the reports for out-of-town co-workers accounts I kept finding the work already done.  Turns out his old backup kept doing the work before I could get to it.  When my co-worker returned he was regaled with stories about how his backup (me) had not worked on his accounts at all.  Not true, I did all I could and fielded all communications from his clients while he was out.  Luckily our boss backed me up and ended up assigning me to one of the top company accounts so I wouldn't have to deal with him.

Sorry for going off-topic a bit, but maybe it's possible someone was covering for this CW so no-one knew that she didn't know the job. (just an assumption of course)

EllenS

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 03:29:15 PM »
I think it also depends a lot on *which* 12 years have passed.  A sloppy, inattentive 20 year old has a very high likelihood of maturing into a competent 32 year old. An inattentive 30 year old is less likely to become a competent 42 year old, though of course it does happen.

I am curious how you found this out, OP? Did she tell you?  If it was passed to you in some sort of briefing file I would think your director would already be aware. I'd keep an eye out and probably only mention it if you see an issue.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »
I wouldn't say anything either, quite honestly. I could have been that person in my younger years, not doing the greatest job, but now I am compleltey different in my late 40's than i was 10 or 20 years ago, work-wise.

I'd simply train her like you would anyone, and document, and i like the suggestion of sitting down with your boss and the temp, to make sure everyone is on the same page, so if something does go wrong, you can say, well, in our meeting we discussed this, and that temp would be doing this and that.  And if it does involve accuracy, surely your boss will see if she's not doing things correctly too.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »

Not really. It can take human beings a while to work up the nerve to fire someone. And then it takes a while to actually do it, usually. The larger and more organized the organization, the longer it takes.

But yeah, 12 years is a long time. though I agree w/ EllenS that it depends on the age.

And maybe the thing to do is to be extra-alert in the training, and if you see a repeat of what happened long ago, then you know to go straight to your boss ASAP w/ fresh info.

veronaz

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 04:02:00 PM »
Also, the duties and circumstances in (whatever previous job 12 years ago) could have been completely different.

and i like the suggestion of sitting down with your boss and the temp, to make sure everyone is on the same page,

Yes, this is important.