Author Topic: Hardwood, Laminate, or Other?  (Read 2933 times)

MurPl1

Re: Hardwood, Laminate, or Other?
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 07:07:43 PM »
What are the predominant styles in your neighborhood/area?  You want to make sure you're not going too far below the standard or too high.  Normally I don't worry about resale much but flooring is one of those larger investments where I think it's good to keep in mind.

At our old home, in a modest neighborhood, hardwoods would be rare to find.   It's a lot more carpet and tile combos.  Some laminate too.  But in our new neighborhood, we have scraped hardwoods which is pretty standard.  There is one builder who did the carpet/tile combo and it's noticeable from the other homes. 

That said, we've got tile in the kitchen/breakfast area and the bathrooms.  Carpet in the bedrooms and hand-scraped hardwoods everywhere else.  We've got 3 cats, a large dog and hubby has a construction company so lots of dirty boots.  and we host a large Halloween party each year.  Our floors have handled all of it, including mushed jello shots and wine spilled on glow in the dark paper. :)

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
I've only ever had hardwood. I know I wouldn't want anything else.

The only time I've felt a need to refinish the floor was a complicated mistake thingie.

It's not like you have to sand it every year.

We splurged and got the Traffic finish (a commercial finish) from Bona Kemi, precisley becuase you can *refresh* it without sanding.

(and your ILs want tile? Too bad--you're the one walking on it. I'd make this a huge issue to my DH: "if they're going to pressure us to put in tile, then we will not accept their money. I'm not going to have something that important influenced like that."  You're completely OK to say, "No tile, never," and stick to it.)

I feel that way about hardwood, also.  It's far and away my number one flooring preference, and the main reason I actually bought this house. 

The only reason I need to refinish some of my floors is that some brainiac decided painting without using a drop cloth would be a dandy idea.    ::)  Also, they definitely need a good coat of the polyurethane finish, so they will look their best.

The only rooms in the house lacking the original hardwood floors are my tiled kitchen, and the upstairs bathroom, which was redone, but also with hardwood.

OP, I agree that you should check what's "popular"in your area.  If resell value is a consideration, this is pretty important.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

POF

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »
I have a large kitchen that is open to my dining room.  I did laminate.  I have a dog, active kids, cats and general mayhem at any point in time.  I bought a high end laminate ( my brother is a chemist whose company manufactures the plastic coating. ) In 12 years, I have had little problems with it. I had someone paint the floow with glitter glue and markers when I was upchucking in the bathroom when I had the flu.  It came up with windex.

I have hardwoods in my bedroom and they are already a bit dinged up looking. 

I think the laminate looks great.  I hate tile.

veryfluffy

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
If you go for hardwood, I would really recommend wax-oil rather than some kind of polyurethane varnish. It's a lovely finish, very protective, and you don't ever need to sand it down if it does get a bit worn. A touch up coat every few years will do the trick.

In my kitchen-breakfast room I have laid slate tiles, which look great (mine are 3 ft by 2 ft slabs, riven). Around here, many people who lay slate or tile floors put in underfloor heating, although I didn't.

Girlie

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
I don't have experiences with all of these flooring types, but my mom has pine hardwoods in her home (where I grew up). They were installed with the house originally, which was built in 1963. Although the poor floors are in sour need of being sanded and refinished now (four children, two grandchildren, countless cousins and neighborhood children, plus dogs and cats) they still actually are holding up well. If she ever gets around to having them refinished, they'll be beautiful.

There's vinyl in the kitchen, which we like because it cleans up well. The problem we have with vinyl in the kitchen is that water can seep between the "tiles" and damage the sub-floor. The standing freezer my mom had decided to die and defrosted itself when we were away for a week. We came back to a swimming pool in the kitchen. Although we cleaned up the water, some of it seeped between the vinyl tiles and did some damage that we didn't discover until later.

I hate tile. I think it LOOKS beautiful, but I'm actually quite lazy, so the idea of dedicating time to cleaning grout doesn't appeal to me. At all.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 09:06:59 AM »
A lot of vinyl (even the kind that is meant to mimic the look of tile or stone) is installed as a single sheet. You could still get water seeping under the edges around the walls or the kitchen counters (or in places where seams were necessary), but it would both be less likely to happen on a large scale and less obvious if it did. The tiles are probably easier for an individual person to install themselves, but most of the vinyl flooring I've had experience with has been the kind that is installed as sheets.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
We had laminate installed in our basement family room over concrete, replacing wall-to-wall carpet.  Even with an insulating layer underneath, it's COLD underfoot.  Not as much as tile, but much colder than carpet. 

Our DD has laminate in her kitchen.  It WILL scorch if you drop a hot cast-iron skillet on it.

We put vinyl flooring in our kitchen, and I'm extremely please with it.  It looks like quarry tile, and you have to touch it to see that it's not.  The only problem is a bit of the pattern that looks like ground-in mud!  I'm always trying to scrub it up, and have to look for the matching tiles to confirm that it's not.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

DavidH

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »
As an aside, if you have one of the mechanical floor buffers with different types of pads, they are great for scrubbing a tile floor and getting the grout clean.  When I was in middle and hs, running it over the kitchen floor for a thorough cleaning was one of my chores.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 12:28:36 PM »
Huh- my kitchen tile is a tanish color, dark brown grout.  When we took out the carpeting in the entry way to tile it, the Mexican smaller tiles in the kitchen were no longer available so we got similar color, with a bit of texture to it, and still got the dark brown grout. 

getting dirt color grout was apparently a great idea- because all I do is "swiffer" with a washable cloth and some homemade cleaners.  The tile looks fine, and the grout, can't tell!

anyway, the kitchen tile IS breakable.  And hard on your back for long standing (washing dishes and cooking at the stove- I have ergo mats at both places)  The entryway tile is somehow softer on my feet/back.  ??

I dry cloth swept my laminate wood this morning, thinking of this thread, and I really do like the honey color and the ease of cleaning.  It feels softer, is warm (much more than the cold tile) and I just like it. 

We are all different.  you have to decide-
cost of moving furniture
installation
supplies
baseboards
will you also paint the walls?  baseboards to match?
will you need new cleaning supplies?
upkeep time and cost

Once you decide the type, then you have to decide color and texture, and then layout. 
Do you want a funky diagonal?  line up with the door?  Horizontal or vertical to the room? Same "stripes" throughout the house, or change per room?

And more stuff will come up to figure out.

And then, pray for good weather during installation. 

And plan on longer than you think.  :)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »
If you are clumsy in the kitchen, like me, and often drop things, tile is definitely NOT the way to go.  Not only is the article you drop more likely to break, and into smaller pieces, you can also break the tiles.

But laminate isn't good for me, either, because I've chipped it in a few places when I've dropped a knife - my MO when I drop a knife is to jump out of the way and let it hit the floor.  I've trained myself to do this to avoid injuries.

So I'll be doing a lot of research when I go to do my kitchen.  Which won't be happening for a few years unless I win the lottery.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2014, 03:38:56 PM »
Personally, I would make sure that whatever I took up or put down had no asbestos in it before starting the process.   You can have someone test it.  Call your environmental health or someone who knows to help you with this.  I do believe that they still use asbestos in some flooring. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

daen

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
Huh- my kitchen tile is a tanish color, dark brown grout.  When we took out the carpeting in the entry way to tile it, the Mexican smaller tiles in the kitchen were no longer available so we got similar color, with a bit of texture to it, and still got the dark brown grout. 

getting dirt color grout was apparently a great idea- because all I do is "swiffer" with a washable cloth and some homemade cleaners.  The tile looks fine, and the grout, can't tell!

<snip>

One of my cousins worked in mall maintenance and janitorial for a while. The food court had been retiled recently, and some bright spark had decided that a white-and-grey mottled grout was a good idea. The reality was that the grey just looked like dirt, and the whole court looked like it was never clean. So the janitorial staff was told to get the gout clean! whichever way they could.

My cousin asked if the grout needed to be all-white, or simply all one colour. The response: whatever works.

So my cousin asked all the businesses in the food court to save the coffee and grounds at the end of the business day.  He collected the sludge, spread it over the food court floor, and took the crew out to do the usual cleaning for the rest of the mall. When they finished, they came back to the food court, cleaned up the coffee sludge and mopped the floor.

The result: uniformly espresso-coloured grout. Everyone was happy, especially the janitorial crew.

oogyda

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
Hardwood. 

It is my opinion that there is just no comparison. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2014, 06:48:27 PM »
Personally, I would make sure that whatever I took up or put down had no asbestos in it before starting the process.   You can have someone test it.  Call your environmental health or someone who knows to help you with this.  I do believe that they still use asbestos in some flooring. 

After all of the lawsuits of the 80's and 90's I believe they stopped using asbestos in floor tile.  However, if the floors were put down before 1981, they are pretty much guaranteed to have asbestos in them, even ceramic tiles. 

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
How would cork flooring do around pets, if anyone knows? I'm considering that because it'll be soft underfoot, a bit warmer than a hard floor, and would deaden sound (very important as I live in an apartment above a house.) Or should I just go with bamboo, my second choice?
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~