Author Topic: Hardwood, Laminate, or Other?  (Read 2772 times)

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
Re: Hardwood, Laminate, or Other?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
How would cork flooring do around pets, if anyone knows? I'm considering that because it'll be soft underfoot, a bit warmer than a hard floor, and would deaden sound (very important as I live in an apartment above a house.) Or should I just go with bamboo, my second choice?

From what I've read up on it, cork can be soft so you should be careful when moving furniture.  Also, they recommend using protective pads under heavy furniture as it might leave permanent indents since it's such a springy wood.  I don't think pets would be too much of a problem unless they have accidents all the time and even then you can minimize the damage by sealing the cork with a polyurethane finish every few years.  I think the one complaint I read about the most was being aware that cork flooring might discolor in spots that get direct sunlight for long periods of time. 

I really like the look and feel of bamboo, but it typically only comes in lighter colors like amber and honey unless you stain it yourself or get a carbonized version.  There are some absolutely beautiful carbonized colors that I might go with, but they're also softer than regular woven strand bamboo.

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 09:44:10 PM »
How would cork flooring do around pets, if anyone knows? I'm considering that because it'll be soft underfoot, a bit warmer than a hard floor, and would deaden sound (very important as I live in an apartment above a house.) Or should I just go with bamboo, my second choice?

From what I've read up on it, cork can be soft so you should be careful when moving furniture.  Also, they recommend using protective pads under heavy furniture as it might leave permanent indents since it's such a springy wood.  I don't think pets would be too much of a problem unless they have accidents all the time and even then you can minimize the damage by sealing the cork with a polyurethane finish every few years.  I think the one complaint I read about the most was being aware that cork flooring might discolor in spots that get direct sunlight for long periods of time. 

I really like the look and feel of bamboo, but it typically only comes in lighter colors like amber and honey unless you stain it yourself or get a carbonized version.  There are some absolutely beautiful carbonized colors that I might go with, but they're also softer than regular woven strand bamboo.

That sounds doable, then. I'll keep cork on my list of flooring materials to research further, thank you! :)
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »
Personally, I would make sure that whatever I took up or put down had no asbestos in it before starting the process.   You can have someone test it.  Call your environmental health or someone who knows to help you with this.  I do believe that they still use asbestos in some flooring. 

After all of the lawsuits of the 80's and 90's I believe they stopped using asbestos in floor tile.  However, if the floors were put down before 1981, they are pretty much guaranteed to have asbestos in them, even ceramic tiles.
After finding out that some tiles we had contained it, even though we also thought it had been discontinued, I just don't trust it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
Personally, I would make sure that whatever I took up or put down had no asbestos in it before starting the process.   You can have someone test it.  Call your environmental health or someone who knows to help you with this.  I do believe that they still use asbestos in some flooring. 

After all of the lawsuits of the 80's and 90's I believe they stopped using asbestos in floor tile.  However, if the floors were put down before 1981, they are pretty much guaranteed to have asbestos in them, even ceramic tiles.
After finding out that some tiles we had contained it, even though we also thought it had been discontinued, I just don't trust it.

I've read that bathroom tiles put in in the '50s (both my bathrooms are c. 1956) have toxic chemicals in the glue, or whatever they used to attach them. So, if you're having them removed - which I never would because I love the 50s look - you have to be careful.