Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 67163 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2014, 02:48:38 PM »
A friend's seven-year-old son just got his first wheelchair - she's relieved it's got wheels that automatically lock unless HE wants to be pushed.  Apparently people see a kid in a wheelchair and just randomly walk up and start pushing on a regular basis!

This was such an issue when my nephew got his first wheelchair at the age of 3 that my brother ordered the next wheelchair with handles that can be removed. Unless they are needed, the handles are off the chair. An adult can still push the chair if needed, but most adults are so puzzled by the lack of handles that Nephew has time to get away from them, or if he wants to stay put, make his wishes known quite firmly.

I once had a class with a girl who had special ordered a wheelchair without handles - not because of helpful people, but because her high school friends liked to prank her with wheelies and the like.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »
Can the pie debate get their own thread, please? TY
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
*Like*

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:48 PM »

Quite often, I'll be walking around wearing shoes or sandals, but with them not yet laces-tied / fastened. This is a logistical choice which I make: I'm aware of the situation, I'll do the tying / fastening when I'm good and ready, I have other priories just at the moment. 

I say: "I like to live dangerously! <wink> "

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »
When my parents get the glasses all down for me to set the table with. Okay, I realize that they built the kitchen for people who are over 5' tall, not under, and they really do want to help, but saying, "Oh, let me do it," when I've almost got the glass really cheeses me off. If I need to get a fork to nudge the glass out a bit, I will, but I assure you, I can reach it.

Also, all the people at church who offer me a ride home...after I've called my parents to come get me (I don't have my license yet). I appreciate the thought, folks, but outside when my mom's 5 minutes away from the church is not the right time for that. *facepalm*
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

BarensMom

« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
*Like*

Hey, everything's better with pie! ;D

Jones

« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2014, 04:06:38 PM »
Pi Day is next week, a good pie thread would be quite timely.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »

Isn't Pi day on Friday of this week?  3/14...

Might have to make pie for Friday.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MyFamily

« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »
Also, all the people at church who offer me a ride home...after I've called my parents to come get me (I don't have my license yet). I appreciate the thought, folks, but outside when my mom's 5 minutes away from the church is not the right time for that. *facepalm*

But how do they know your parents are on their way?  I have been the person offered rides and the person who offers rides.  I've always appreciated the offer, even if my ride is on its way; and I've always received a smile and thanks when I've offered, and I have been taken up on the offer sometimes.  So, this seems like you are annoyed they can't read your mind....

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Jones

« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »

Isn't Pi day on Friday of this week?  3/14...

Might have to make pie for Friday.   ;D
This week, next week, depends on when your weekend is. :P

(I was looking at the wrong calendar. 3/14 is correct, so this Friday is day of pi)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
Regarding people who meddle with other people's cooking, I recall another thread on the subject where a poster declared that in The South meddling with another woman's cooking is an act of high treason that will get you thrown out of polite society. You do not even slice another woman's cake without specific permission.

Well of course!  We're civilized down here...possibly some of the rules are a little behind the current usage - but that's because Great-Grandma would rise up out of her rocking chair and give us the what-for if we were to do things differently than she was teaching her kids & grandkids how to do it.  Come to think of it, Grandma & Mom might also be a little upset as they LIKE a small piece of each dessert - it is easier to stick to your calorie count if you have a little bit of all your favorites.  Some of the uncles will guiltily pile two pieces of their favorites on their plate the first time to the dessert table and claim that they were going to "share" their plate with the youngest cousin...who is still trying to feed themselves Cheerios (oat cereal wheels) instead of pumpkin pie....

The baker knows how many servings to cut that cake into and having someone cut extra small pieces that mean everyone has to look greedy & get two pieces is a sacrilege exceeded only by someone cutting pieces of a really rich cake that can't be finished or handed over to someone else so that a piece might have to get thrown out and WASTED...

And we better not change Great-Grandma's family recipe without running a sample by her FIRST to approve the changes.  Luckily, my aunt believed me when I reported Grandma's approval and other conversation at a family reunion over her first piece of the slightly changed version (cake the same - different glaze/frosting) - and that I mentioned that Grandma (her mother) had taken two slices - which meant that she really had liked it a lot.

I shudder to think of what would have happened if I hadn't taken that cake to one of the last family reunions Grandma got to attend....or if she hadn't LIKED the additional "apple pie" type spices in the new glaze (too expensive when she was a farmer's wife and they were going through a pan or three of it a week during planting season or harvesting - quick way to up your calorie count that time of year).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 05:13:51 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Psychopoesie

« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
Meat pies should be decorated. Fruit pies shouldn't be decorated.

That's one of those bits of received wisdom that has disappeared over the last 40 years. *sigh*

I've never heard that one! And if anything, my mother did it the other way around - desserts were decorated, main course wasn't.

This is actually more logical--dessert is the frivolous, "party" part of the meal, so it makes more sense that it  would be decorated. And the lattice pie crust has always been fruit, and that's decorative.

Not always. I've made a savoury pie (beef and kumara) with a lattice top following the recipe (from a women's weekly cookbook IIRC). Not as common it's true.

Ok. Will stop talking about pie now. Not thinking about it is harder. Have a lovely curry beef pie sitting in the fridge, calling to me.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
Funny, this just came up for me.  It is almost Purim and time to bake hamentaschen.  Hamentaschen are a little filled cookie shaped like a 3 corner hat.  Last year my sister wanted to help, so she came over and I rolled them out and she filled them.  I showed her how to pinch them closed in the right shape, but she couldn't get it and then she decided she had a better way.  None of her cookies came out right (the shape is important).  I kept asking her to stop closing them and I would do it.  She kept right on pinching them saying "I know these won't turn out right, but oh well".  So only about half were right and since I was giving most of them away, I had to make a second batch after she went home.  So yesterday she called me and asked when we were going to make them again.  I am going to quietly get them done on a night I know she is not free.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
Yup, I understand you.  In the Book of Esther, Hamen is the villain and is said to be wearing a three-cornered hat.  The shape of hamentaschen has to be triangular.  Half the fun of eating hamentaschen is the shape.  Eating a shapeless glob while wearing your crown and twirling your noisemaker just isn't the same. 

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #209 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »
Funny, this just came up for me.  It is almost Purim and time to bake hamentaschen.  Hamentaschen are a little filled cookie shaped like a 3 corner hat.  Last year my sister wanted to help, so she came over and I rolled them out and she filled them.  I showed her how to pinch them closed in the right shape, but she couldn't get it and then she decided she had a better way.  None of her cookies came out right (the shape is important).  I kept asking her to stop closing them and I would do it.  She kept right on pinching them saying "I know these won't turn out right, but oh well".  So only about half were right and since I was giving most of them away, I had to make a second batch after she went home.  So yesterday she called me and asked when we were going to make them again.  I am going to quietly get them done on a night I know she is not free.

I just googled those, and they look yummy!  From the description of the tradition, I can understand why the shape would be important.  So, you can make your give-away batch, and then you will have a bunch of the improperly shaped ones you can just eat yourself.    ;)  Those look interesting, and I am thinking I might attempt some.  I always like surprising my family with "something different."
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical