Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 69827 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #300 on: March 21, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »
I recall DH getting the commissary brand of mac & cheese once when we lived on base and the cheese (powdered) came out of the package in a clump that could not break up, let alone blend into the noodles.  He learned not all Mac & Cheeses are created equal.

However, the Martin's/Giant brand of shells and cheese isn't much different than Velveeta.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

whatsanenigma

« Reply #301 on: March 21, 2014, 03:52:46 PM »
Well, I have just thought of a question.  If somebody asked me to pick up "a box of Kleenex" at the store, I wouldn't necessarily get the "Kleenex" brand.  I wouldn't necessarily get the cheapest brand, but I wouldn't necessarily get the brand name either.

Would that count as "not helping"? In other words, do you always have to literally get what someone asked for, or are there cases where the name brand is used generally in which that doesn't apply?

(Personally, if I sent someone to a store with my money and asked for a box of Kleenex, and they spent twice as much to get what was literally Kleenex, I would be kind of irritated...but only at myself for speaking carelessly.  The person who brought it to me, I would thank profusely and appreciate their attention to detail.)

nayberry

« Reply #302 on: March 21, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
Well, I have just thought of a question.  If somebody asked me to pick up "a box of Kleenex" at the store, I wouldn't necessarily get the "Kleenex" brand.  I wouldn't necessarily get the cheapest brand, but I wouldn't necessarily get the brand name either.

Would that count as "not helping"? In other words, do you always have to literally get what someone asked for, or are there cases where the name brand is used generally in which that doesn't apply?

(Personally, if I sent someone to a store with my money and asked for a box of Kleenex, and they spent twice as much to get what was literally Kleenex, I would be kind of irritated...but only at myself for speaking carelessly.  The person who brought it to me, I would thank profusely and appreciate their attention to detail.)

to me asking for kleenex is asking for the brand  version, asking for tissues would lead me to ask if they had a preference.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #303 on: March 21, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
Kleenex has become the generic name in my area and, like whatsanenigma, I'd pick up the cheapest decent quality facial tissues there.  But if I had any doubt, I'd ask.

If my Dad was asking, I'd know I could pick up whatever.  But if it was my brother?  I'd ask.  We've had a couple of occasions where he put something on the shopping list, I picked up what I thought he wanted and got yelled at because it wasn't.  It wasn't a name brand/generic thing but it stuck with me enough that I'd ask to make sure.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #304 on: March 21, 2014, 04:21:29 PM »

Oh, I think it depends on a lot of things. When in doubt, going with what they asked for literally is probably the safest choice. If possible, I would clarify before leaving, or once I got to the store and saw all the choices. The problem with not taking it literally, when you're in doubt, is that you start imposing your own values on it. "Oh, any kind will do for me and I don't want to spend extra money. Surely she feels the same way! So I will get her store brand tissues even though she literally said Kleenex." Or, if it was me, I automatically translate "Kleenex" to "Puffs with lotion" in my mind, because that's what *I* like. And that's usually even more expensive, and not everyone likes the lotion.

With my dad it's just funny because you're like, "Dad, you and Mom have been married for over 40 years. Why would you think that when she said 'Fig Newtons,' she might possibly perhaps have actually meant 'Oreos'? And could you not have just called back and asked before buying out half the cookie aisle?" Actually it's nice sometimes, like when I'm sick and he's to bring me "orange juice," and I end up with three kinds of orange juice, two other juices, Cheez-Its, spray cheese, Puffs with lotion, three kinds of cold medicine, ginger ale, and Oreos. I would've felt bad asking for all of that, especially since he was paying, but since it was totally his choice... ;)
~Lynn2000

CuriousParty

« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2014, 08:05:55 PM »
He still screws things up (one time, we actually had to leave because he just put into action that which I wasn't supposed to do during the shop).

Oh dear!  I used to mystery shop myself, and I remember how strict they are about what you can and cannot do/say.  My sympathies.

I just remembered one - when my kids were young and my parents were visiting, Mum asked if I'd like anything from the grocery store.  I said "Oh, yes, please - we're all out of Fig Newtons."  When she got back, she handed me a package of the grocery store's generic fig bars.  I said "Um, not to be ungrateful, but these aren't Fig Newtons."  "Sure they are!  Okay, they're not the brand name, but they're just as good, and a lot cheaper!"  Except they WEREN'T just as good - they tasted weird, somehow, and my kids wouldn't eat them.  I ended up eating them.  Yuck.

Store brands are funny.  Some really do taste like the name brand, usually because they are, just under a different label.  While others...don't.  I wouldn't buy someone the generic unless they specifically said it was ok.

If given this task, my dad would bring back Fig Newtons, generic fig bars, healthy energy fig bars, Raspberry Newtons, and Oreos, you know, just to make sure he got the right thing.

Which can be equally irritating, if now you have five boxes of cookies in the house, when just one was an indulgence; and five boxes to store instead of one; and the extra money spent (if you're my mom with a joint account). In that situation I would "help" by walking off with the Raspberry Newtons and the Oreos. :D

Sis??!?

You'd have to fight me for the Oreos, tho.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »

For me this wouldn't be an issue since I have an annoying habit of asking exactly what it is someone wants. Due to me being extremely picky about a lot of things. So I'm the pest who asks 900 questions so as not to get the wrong thing. And if someone offers to pick something up for me, I can be annoyingly detailed in my request. It's gotten to the point that when I visit my mom, she will let me get whatever I need since she isn't as fussy as I am and this way I get exactly what I want

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #307 on: March 21, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
I recall DH getting the commissary brand of mac & cheese once when we lived on base and the cheese (powdered) came out of the package in a clump that could not break up, let alone blend into the noodles.  He learned not all Mac & Cheeses are created equal.

My friend "Mary's" mom thought she'd help Mary and her family save a few cents by buying them generic mac & cheese instead of their usual Kraft (which isn't pricey to begin with).  The food was so bad the kids couldn't keep it down and the grown ups didn't like it much either.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #308 on: March 21, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »
Kleenex has become the generic name in my area and, like whatsanenigma, I'd pick up the cheapest decent quality facial tissues there.  But if I had any doubt, I'd ask.

It's a generic in my circles as well (all of them, all geographies, all places). So I'd probably ask before I left.

Or, I'd get Kleenex just because, well, I'd probably be the one buying them w/ my money, Or I'd figure I could cover the difference of they were usually more frugal. And in my experience most people are OK w/ the most famous brand; they usually buy other brands for price reasons only.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »

It's a generic in my circles as well (all of them, all geographies, all places). So I'd probably ask before I left.

Or, I'd get Kleenex just because, well, I'd probably be the one buying them w/ my money, Or I'd figure I could cover the difference of they were usually more frugal. And in my experience most people are OK w/ the most famous brand; they usually buy other brands for price reasons only.

For something like Kleenex, I'd err on the side of the brand name because the difference is, what, a quarter?  For something more expensive, though, I'd ask.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #310 on: March 21, 2014, 10:39:21 PM »

My friend "Mary's" mom thought she'd help Mary and her family save a few cents by buying them generic mac & cheese instead of their usual Kraft (which isn't pricey to begin with).  The food was so bad the kids couldn't keep it down and the grown ups didn't like it much either.

Indeed! I remember Jeff Foxworthy even joking about being in college and how broke students usually are by saying "Suave shampoo broke! Kraft Macaroni and cheese broke!" I mean it's usually around $1 a box, or so. 

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #311 on: March 21, 2014, 11:02:04 PM »
I present Jeanne Robertson and her helpful husband Left-Brain  ;D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #312 on: March 21, 2014, 11:43:37 PM »

Indeed! I remember Jeff Foxworthy even joking about being in college and how broke students usually are by saying "Suave shampoo broke! Kraft Macaroni and cheese broke!" I mean it's usually around $1 a box, or so.

In college, my husband used to eat Ramen (at 10 cents a pack, super cheap).  He didn't have a stove/kitchenette.  He'd eat it raw and crunchy.  The very idea gives me the shudders.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #313 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:17 PM »
I present Jeanne Robertson and her helpful husband Left-Brain  ;D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs
that's freaking hysterical
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

shadowfox79

« Reply #314 on: March 22, 2014, 06:16:53 AM »
The generic-versus-brand-name thing is what really used to hack my mother off, because she is housebound and has carers who do her shopping.

On more than one occasion she has asked for something specific, clarified that she does actually want that, and they would come back with something else. "Oh, I know you said you wanted Sudafed, but Otrivine was cheaper!" (Yeah, and it doesn't work!) "Oh, I know you wanted Mellow Birds coffee, but I got this Asda brand instead." (Yuck!) "I know you said two bags of potatoes, but you'll only need one." (My daughter is coming down for Christmas with her husband - I said TWO because I will need TWO!) Drove her nuts.

Fortunately they seem to have finally got the message, possibly after one of them ended up lumbered with a bottle of a horribly sweet alcohol that Mum didn't want. She had asked for a box of chocolate liqueurs, the carer wrote it down wrong and came back with a bottle of chocolate liqueur. I gather it was vile.