Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 70180 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
I have a form that I sometimes need to send people to fill out and sign, which I then have to submit to another department in my organization. This form has pretty specific information at the bottom (underneath the signature lines) that I need to fill in, and the department that ultimately processes the form can't process it without that information. The form as a whole is fillable electronically, so I usually type in that information before I even send it out (because the space for it is teensy-tiny and it's easier to fit it all in if I type it).

I just got one of these forms back from someone who had very helpfully removed the information I took the time to type in. Either they found a copy of the form on their own (which can lead to submitting the wrong form, though it fortunately did not in this case, but also makes no sense because I emailed it!), or they actually took the time to delete the information from each of the fields I'd typed in. There's no option on this form to "clear all", so it would have had to be deliberate.

If it were a different type of form, I might guess that they thought the information they removed was too sensitive to leave in. But in this case, the information they had to fill in was pretty detailed personal information, and the information they removed was primarily my (work) contact information, so it really doesn't make any sense.

So I got to write in the same information I'd already typed, practicing my teensy-tiny handwriting, for no logical reason at all. So helpful!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »
I recall DH getting the commissary brand of mac & cheese once when we lived on base and the cheese (powdered) came out of the package in a clump that could not break up, let alone blend into the noodles.  He learned not all Mac & Cheeses are created equal.

My friend "Mary's" mom thought she'd help Mary and her family save a few cents by buying them generic mac & cheese instead of their usual Kraft (which isn't pricey to begin with).  The food was so bad the kids couldn't keep it down and the grown ups didn't like it much either.

Indeed! I remember Jeff Foxworthy even joking about being in college and how broke students usually are by saying "Suave shampoo broke! Kraft Macaroni and cheese broke!" I mean it's usually around $1 a box, or so.

Haha, i still use Suave--they have fakes of some nice salon stuff that work pretty well. Knock-off mac and cheese though? Bleurgh. I don't know what Kraft puts in theirs (crack?) but the fakes are not the same.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
I present Jeanne Robertson and her helpful husband Left-Brain  ;D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs

I can't watch from work, but is this the one where she numbers her shopping list, and left-brain buys 1 bag of flour, 2 containers of eggs, and so on? I died when I saw this. She is funny!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #318 on: March 25, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
I watched the one about bringing a Baptist to Vegas and how her friend sat down at the slot machines a Baptist and got up an Episcopalian. :) As the latter, I found that quite funny! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cabbageweevil

« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2014, 06:05:57 AM »
Probably a dim question; but is the point here, that Baptists are forbidden to gamble, whereas Episcopalians are not; the lady in question found that she enjoyed gambling, hence her deciding on instant conversion?  Or are there greater subtleties which I'm missing?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:03 AM »
I get the impression that the friend didn't really convert but Jeanne was just joking since Episcopalians I guess are just known for  being more lax about those kinds of things.  We serve wine at communion and are allowed to serve wine at events.  Our church's biggest fundraiser is a nice dinner with a wine tasting before it.  And there's no rules against gambling, either.

We had one visiting priest while ours was on vacation and this visiting priest told a story about someone he knew in seminary who wanted to be Methodist but for some reason I can't remember he didn't make it as a Methodist pastor. So he and his wife ended up opening a bar and serving people.  His wife said to him that as owners of a restaurant/bar, they still hear people's problems, feed them and serve them drink so they'd effectively become Episcopalian.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cabbageweevil

« Reply #321 on: March 26, 2014, 07:01:10 AM »
Thanks -- I just wondered whether there might be extra significance, obscure to non-religious me.

I gather that there are numerous nice Catholic stories (can't think of an example right off the bat) about guys who studied for the priesthood for a greater or lesser amount of time, but for whatever reason, dropped out short of being ordained; and what they ended up doing instead. I believe that a gentleman in that position is sometimes referred to as a "clerical error".

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Thanks -- I just wondered whether there might be extra significance, obscure to non-religious me.

I gather that there are numerous nice Catholic stories (can't think of an example right off the bat) about guys who studied for the priesthood for a greater or lesser amount of time, but for whatever reason, dropped out short of being ordained; and what they ended up doing instead. I believe that a gentleman in that position is sometimes referred to as a "clerical error".

There are tons of jokes centered around one denomination doing various things another "can't" do - drinking, dancing, etc.  ("How do you tell the difference between an X and a Y?  Xes will say hi when they see each other at the liquor store!")  And while it may be true that some Christian denominations tend to have stricter stances on these things, as a whole, none of them are totally 100%.  The vast majority of Catholics use birth control, for example, despite it being "against the rules."  Plenty of Baptists drink alcohol, plenty Disciples of Christ listen to instrumental music, etc.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #323 on: March 26, 2014, 11:49:06 AM »
Anglicans sometimes eat a whole meal with their salad fork....

(Yeah, that one was told to me by an Anglican priest.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cabbageweevil

« Reply #324 on: March 26, 2014, 03:15:17 PM »

Now this one, I do not get -- even though I'm English, though not brought up Anglican as such. (I'm not bugging folk for an explanation -- as is often observed, jokes cease to be very funny when explained, if they have to be !)

MyFamily

« Reply #325 on: March 26, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »
I present Jeanne Robertson and her helpful husband Left-Brain  ;D: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YFRUSTiFUs

I can't watch from work, but is this the one where she numbers her shopping list, and left-brain buys 1 bag of flour, 2 containers of eggs, and so on? I died when I saw this. She is funny!

I was just wondering!!  I love her videos.  Have you seen the one about left-brain not knowing the styles in New York City?  It was funny until the end, at which point I laughed so loud my husband was worried I'd wake up the kids.  Every time I need a laugh, I pull up that video or the shopping video.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #326 on: March 26, 2014, 05:18:44 PM »

Now this one, I do not get -- even though I'm English, though not brought up Anglican as such. (I'm not bugging folk for an explanation -- as is often observed, jokes cease to be very funny when explained, if they have to be !)

Methodist/Episcopalian with Lutherans, Presbyterians, Catholics, Baptists and Jews on the side. Sorry. I need help with this one, too. (US)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2014, 05:34:22 PM »

Methodist/Episcopalian with Lutherans, Presbyterians, Catholics, Baptists and Jews on the side. Sorry. I need help with this one, too. (US)

It's not a joke I've heard, but here's a bunch of jokes and one is a variant.  It's playing off the idea that Anglicans/Episcopalians have what seems like a lot of rules.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2014, 05:40:44 PM »

Anglicans don't have many non-Biblical prohibitions, but it's sometimes thought of as an "upper crust" religious sect. So, where one religion might ban alcohol or gambling, Anglicans would be horrified at someone eating a meal with the wrong fork. Sort of a play on making formal etiquette a religious requirement.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
At work today I had to do a procedure that was new to me, but someone else in the office had just done it earlier this week, I was told, and wrote instructions, so I don't have to figure it out on my own. Great!

Except it was one of the worst sets of directions I have ever read. It was very vague, left out a lot of important stuff, and was actually filed in the wrong place--so you thought you'd use X with it, because that's where it was filed, but really you were supposed to use Y. Imagine a recipe that says "milk" when it means "buttermilk," leaves out bits like greasing the pan, and is filed under "slow cooker recipes" when really, you're supposed to use the stove.

I only figured out the last bit because I saw some packaging the co-worker had thrown away, which clued me in that it was filed wrong. In other words, my co-worker's trash was more informative than her instructions. And, there's part of her instructions that I still haven't found precedent for, so I have no idea where she got that from.

It would have been faster, and far less frustrating, for me to just figure it out on my own.
~Lynn2000