Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 68313 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #375 on: April 01, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »
Today I moved the kitchen trash can into the adjoining office so that I could do some spring cleaning out with one of the closets there.  I heard the scraping of something moving across the floor and turned around to see Littlest Pirate had moved it back to where it was.

A neatnik!

Little kids really do like things where they belong. My kids used to occupy themselves in stores putting stuff back on the right shelves.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #376 on: April 01, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »
Oh yeah, they are all about routines, aren't they?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Reader

« Reply #377 on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:02 PM »
My poor boyfriend.  He thought he was helping when he pulled the insert from my slow cooker, the one that was soaking with soap, from the sink to wash.  Unfortunately for him the reason it was soaking to remove dried/cooked on remnants. He then left it on the counter to dry.  Imagine my disappointment to find he hadn't gotten everything off.  So I set it back in the sink to soak again for me to wash out later after I got home from my second job.  And what do I see when I get home?  The insert dried on the counter, still with the remants stuck on it.  So after showing it to my boyfriend, and under pain of death if it removed from the sink again, I put it back into the sink.  And it was finally left to soak overnight, and I was able to clean it off yesterday. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #378 on: April 01, 2014, 05:38:36 PM »
DH loves stew, his mum made it growing up and would leave it to slow cool on the stove. Except his stepfather kept turning the stove off.

Marga

« Reply #379 on: April 01, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »
DH loves stew, his mum made it growing up and would leave it to slow cool on the stove. Except his stepfather kept turning the stove off.

Obviously, how else is it supposed to slow *cool*?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #380 on: April 01, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
Cook, cook! Stupid autocorrect.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #381 on: April 02, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »

Speaking of stop helping me.  I hate auto correct.  It never corrects to anything that I am trying to and apparently the word "three" doesn't exist.  I get the, thee, fee, few and even when I type three very slowly out, it still tries to correct it to thee most of the time.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #382 on: April 02, 2014, 07:38:46 AM »

Speaking of stop helping me.  I hate auto correct.  It never corrects to anything that I am trying to and apparently the word "three" doesn't exist.  I get the, thee, fee, few and even when I type three very slowly out, it still tries to correct it to thee most of the time.

Add me to the group that hates autocorrect.  I know I use too many quotation marks but it's the only way I can get certain things through it.   

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #383 on: April 02, 2014, 09:33:55 AM »
I thankfully don't have it as I don't have an apple device but lordy that would make me crazy.

And I have to wonder about the AutoCorrectFails that get shared that replace an innocent word with a naughty one.  Are they really THAT dirty in their autocorrects or are people editing to make it funnier?
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #384 on: April 02, 2014, 09:39:17 AM »
I thankfully don't have it as I don't have an apple device but lordy that would make me crazy.

And I have to wonder about the AutoCorrectFails that get shared that replace an innocent word with a naughty one.  Are they really THAT dirty in their autocorrects or are people editing to make it funnier?

It's never done that to me - although I also haven't "taught" it lots of dirty words, either  :P  (Actually, I turned mine off, mostly because it kept correcting "well" to "we'll."  Which are two totally different words, and if I wanted to write a contraction I darn we'll would have  ;))

Flibbertigibbet

« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
I have had some funny autocorrects - none obscene though, and I just haven't caught them before i pressed send. My personal favourite is when I was texting someone about the fact that 'some 'gitface'' had called me at 2am with a silent call. My phone changed the word 'gitface' to 'giraffe'.

Much hilarity ensued as we wondered why a giraffe would be calling at 2 am and a silent call at that, and also whether he would be called Geoffrey (Toys R Us fame). The conversation then went on to speculate whether all giraffes were evil and whether they were all called Geoffrey...

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #386 on: April 02, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »

I have had it happen once. It changed one word that changed the entire sentence to have sexual innuendo. otherwise it seems to change proper names. Like it changed the name of a highway "tacanic" to "taco mix"

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #387 on: April 02, 2014, 10:39:21 AM »
I think some of the auto correct things you see posted online are made up, too. I'm sure some of them are genuine, but a lot of them rather stretch credibility.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #388 on: April 02, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
I keep thinking, "If I were the programmer for autocorrect, I'd fix it so that the dirty words were WAY down on the list of auto substitutions. You want to say dirty words, fine, but I'm not going to help you."

darling

« Reply #389 on: April 02, 2014, 11:22:35 AM »
I have accidentally gotten a dirty word in autocorrect before... I am SOOOO glad I reviewed before I sent.