Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 66908 times)

Only me

Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #465 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:56 PM »
GratefulMaria - Glad your mom got better, but that was funny story. :)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #466 on: April 15, 2014, 01:50:55 PM »
I agree TootsNYC but at the time we could not afford to nor had the space.

Well, then, she was helping you, even if you didn't love the way she was doing so.

(I don't get how you wouldn't have had the space to throw out their crappy furniture.)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #467 on: April 15, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »
I agree TootsNYC but at the time we could not afford to nor had the space.

Well, then, she was helping you, even if you didn't love the way she was doing so.

(I don't get how you wouldn't have had the space to throw out their crappy furniture.)

We only have large item trash pickup once a year, so if we had an apartment and a small garage, we wouldn't have space to store crappy furniture awaiting disposal.

alkira6

« Reply #468 on: April 15, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »
Right before we moved into our current house we put just about everything on Freecycle.  The last day was open call on everything under the carport - just come and get it.  All of that stuff was middling to bad condition hand me downs that should have been thrown away.  Most of it was picked up by "junk" people who will take anything.  The last little bits were taken to the dump with the moving truck. Well worth the dump fee.

Jloreli

« Reply #469 on: April 15, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
And I thought the time my DH used Pledge on the hardwood floors was bad!!!  ;D  Granted, they looked showroom new, but holy cow they were slippery!!!

I didn't know my husband had another brother!  What is it with these guys?

Oh my goodness I'm married to another brother! I have that same argument with my DH several times a year over his burning desire to Pledge the wood floors. I generally have to resort to telling him that I am not up to having $XXXXX vet bills when one of our crazy dogs charges around the house and either injures themselves by slipping or crashing into something.....perhaps the giant TV he's so fond of!  >:D

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #470 on: April 15, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »
Even if the toilet has been cleaned, getting water from there is still rather strange.

There's a joke about this (or maybe it's a story my MIL told me, I forget).  There was a school that was having problems with the girls putting on lipstick and then kissing the bathroom mirror, leaving lipstick prints all over the mirror in the girls' bathroom.  It looked awful and was causing the custodian a lot of extra work.  So finally, the principal got a bunch of the likely culprits to come to the bathroom for a demonstration.  She then asked the custodian to demonstrate how much extra work it was for him to clean the lipstick prints off the mirror.  So he took his mop, dipped it in a toilet, then washed the mirror with it.  The lipstick smears stopped that day.  :)

magicdomino

« Reply #471 on: April 15, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »
And I thought the time my DH used Pledge on the hardwood floors was bad!!!  ;D  Granted, they looked showroom new, but holy cow they were slippery!!!

Add me as someone else who had awesomely shiny floors and a sore bottom.   ;D

My nephew cleaned the bathroom with straight ammonia.  As best I can figure, he thought that the stronger the solution, the better it would clean.  And you can't get any stronger than straight from the bottle.  Darn near asphyxiated himself.   ::)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #472 on: April 15, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »

Add me as someone else who had awesomely shiny floors and a sore bottom.   ;D

My nephew cleaned the bathroom with straight ammonia.  As best I can figure, he thought that the stronger the solution, the better it would clean.  And you can't get any stronger than straight from the bottle.  Darn near asphyxiated himself.   ::)

At least he didn't mix it with bleach...

darling

« Reply #473 on: April 15, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
Even if the toilet has been cleaned, getting water from there is still rather strange.

There's a joke about this (or maybe it's a story my MIL told me, I forget).  There was a school that was having problems with the girls putting on lipstick and then kissing the bathroom mirror, leaving lipstick prints all over the mirror in the girls' bathroom.  It looked awful and was causing the custodian a lot of extra work.  So finally, the principal got a bunch of the likely culprits to come to the bathroom for a demonstration.  She then asked the custodian to demonstrate how much extra work it was for him to clean the lipstick prints off the mirror.  So he took his mop, dipped it in a toilet, then washed the mirror with it.  The lipstick smears stopped that day.  :)

>:D !!!Snork!!!

Genius!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #474 on: April 15, 2014, 05:46:49 PM »

Oh my goodness I'm married to another brother! I have that same argument with my DH several times a year over his burning desire to Pledge the wood floors. I generally have to resort to telling him that I am not up to having $XXXXX vet bills when one of our crazy dogs charges around the house and either injures themselves by slipping or crashing into something.....perhaps the giant TV he's so fond of!  >:D

My bestie did this once, back when she and her husband lived in their previous home.    All was well, and she was pretty proud of her efforts, till her husband got home and tried to walk in socks.    ;D  Live and learn.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #475 on: April 15, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »

Genius!

I read that story on Reader's Digest so it may or may not be true.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #476 on: April 15, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »

Genius!

I read that story on Reader's Digest so it may or may not be true.
If it wasn't true before - it is probably true now. I can totally see someone doing this just to gross out the kids and stop the behavior.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Magpy

« Reply #477 on: April 15, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
I've been reading here a long time and finally had something to contribute.

When my DH and I got married years ago, we planned a very low-key, casual event.  My husband is very shy and hates crowds.  I wanted to make sure he had a wedding HE enjoyed, too.  The ceremony was immediate family plus two friends only, and we had balloons instead of flowers (he hates flowers with a passion). 

Our plan was for everyone at the wedding to gather to pick out their balloons, and then we were to all walk together as a group to the ceremony location.

One of our friends decided this wasn't an acceptable level of formality.  He went to my (almost!) DH and told him I had changed my mind and we were now to walk in a processional to the wedding spot.  Then he came to me and told me DH had changed HIS mind and told me the same thing.  Mind, this was five minutes before the ceremony.

Luckily my sister figured out what had happened, and everything went just the way we planned.   

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #478 on: April 16, 2014, 01:40:46 AM »

In Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys, he has a bit about guys cleaning. One of them is that, when asked to clean, they will "grab a spray bottle - any spray bottle - and a roll of paper towels..." I hope I've quoted it correctly.

(It's the funniest book I've ever read; DH and I quote from it all the time. The spray bottle is a frequent one. Others are "Did Elaine ever have a horse?" and "I can't believe the Jets called a draw play on 3rd and 17!") Muah ha ha! Now you have to read it!  >:D
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

HGolightly

« Reply #479 on: April 16, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
Luci45 Thank you! It was an awkward situation. Admittedly I could have handled it differently but we were given no reason that anything was wrong with the dresser so spent funds elsewhere for our then pending arrival.  I will drop the subject as I do not want my op to derail the thread.