Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 67478 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #495 on: April 17, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
My van is like a second purse to me- water bottles and granola bars for me and the kids AND street beggars, a pair of flats for driving, wet wipes and tissue, all the stuff for emergency stops, plus a hairbrush and lipstick, tunes to listen to, charger cords, paper and pens, maps, hidden money for yard sales, first aid kit, nail clippers kit, and always some sort of randomness. 

Right now, it looks like I am ready to go giant vampire hunting because I have 5 foot long sharpened wooden stakes just floating under the back seats.  why?  leftovers from a scout camping activity that needs to be returned to a farish off scout trailer. 

As for a stop helping!  moment-

DH's parents are down sizing and offered us their lovely and heavy dining room table.  Yes, we will take it.  Please, grandmother, get OUT of the way of the DOOR!  This table is heavy!!  and we have to angle it just so and maneuver the front landing steps, so STOP trying to carry one leg, or wipe it off, or try to throw on the dust cover as we are walking backwards and sideways with this very heavy and lovely table!!  We've got it, and physics will not allow you into the equation of table angle vs. door vs. steps. 

::)
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #496 on: April 17, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
Life would grind to a screeching halt if I didn't have a chance to load my car up for errands ahead of time.  We have our SUV and my mother's sedan here now.  I loaded the sedan up Sunday evening:  DS2's care package, dry cleaning, a bunch of corrugated for recycling, library books to return, more.  Thank goodness DH asked instead of just taking it so I could have the SUV -- I told him whoever has the stuff takes on the to-do list!

Then there was the time a few years ago we switched cars for some repair work, and we each topped the other's off with gas to save one another the trouble.

Nuala

« Reply #497 on: April 17, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
Our plan was for everyone at the wedding to gather to pick out their balloons, and then we were to all walk together as a group to the ceremony location.

That sounds wonderful. Where there other out of the ordinary things at your wedding?

Magpy

« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
Our plan was for everyone at the wedding to gather to pick out their balloons, and then we were to all walk together as a group to the ceremony location.

That sounds wonderful. Where there other out of the ordinary things at your wedding?

Thank you!  It was a perfect wedding.  We were married at a college.  My husband hand-embroidered my wedding dress and his shirt - he wore jeans and sneakers.  We also had a visiting rooster try and eat the wedding cake!

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2014, 12:24:56 PM »
My mom is responsible for the book section at a charity shop where all the funds go to the fire station next door.  The number of people who think their crummy donations are helping is astounding.  They get lots of good donations, of course, but the number of people who are cleaning out a house and don't want to pay dump fees is astounding. 

There is a giant sign outside now stating all the things they won't take and that there are cameras and you may not dump your crap here.  Still happens though.  My mom still has to sort out all the 1975 encyclopedias, the text books, the ripped falling apart mysteries and the Readers Digests and National Geographics that someone MUST want right?

The charity is losing money because they have to pay dump fees.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #500 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
It drives me crazy when someone I know will offer unsolicited advice and then act put out like I tricked her into giving me advice and next time I'll have to look it up on my own. But then when I do something on my own and don't tell her about it (even when it goes well) she acts hurt and will say "I could have given you good advice!"

I shared that one of our budgies laid an egg and she said "I don't know of anyone who's ever had a budgie (parakeet) do that, so that's one you'll have to research on your own!" Only...I'd already started looking into it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

poundcake

« Reply #501 on: April 18, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »
My mom is responsible for the book section at a charity shop where all the funds go to the fire station next door.  The number of people who think their crummy donations are helping is astounding.  They get lots of good donations, of course, but the number of people who are cleaning out a house and don't want to pay dump fees is astounding. 

There is a giant sign outside now stating all the things they won't take and that there are cameras and you may not dump your crap here.  Still happens though.  My mom still has to sort out all the 1975 encyclopedias, the text books, the ripped falling apart mysteries and the Readers Digests and National Geographics that someone MUST want right?

The charity is losing money because they have to pay dump fees.

Similarly, a friend of mine runs a charity helping welfare-to-work women find appropriate careerwear. They have set hours for donations, and specific requirements for donated items (on hangers, businesswear in good condition, clean). But of course, people show up at all hours with garbage bags full of old t-shirts and flip flops and want to know why these ungrateful welfare women don't want their donations. And one of the fun reasons why all the clothing must be on hangers is because when they're bagged, people were doing things like throwing in all sorts of non-clothing junk mixed in, so that the charity was dealing with discarding all sorts of stray knickknacks and crap, not just clothing. And there's nothing like reaching into a bag expecting to pull out clothing and getting a handful of broken glass from a bunch of picture frames someone shoved in with everything.

But again, people just get incensed when they show up without an appointment and there is no one available to help them because the employees and volunteers are busy with clients,  don't understand why they can't just drop off bags full of whatever in the office lobby, and throw temper tantrums when they aren't hailed as wonderful heroes for "helping" by trying to unload two Hefty bags full of stretched-out sweatpants, torn shirts, used underwear, and one pair of tailored pants with a busted zipper.

geekette

« Reply #502 on: April 19, 2014, 03:49:31 AM »
At work recently, I grumbled to my cubicle-mate that couldn't find any thorough statistics on something, so I had to get some other related statistics and do some complicated equations to extrapolate some estimates. An hour later, I was still asking him to stop sending me websites about the complicated equations - I know the equations, I had done the equations, I was trying to analyze the results and he kept breaking my concentration.

And in the process of explaining that to him, everyone else in the bay found out I was using the complicated equation, and started to send me websites to help with it, since I was having so much trouble...

*bangs head on desk*

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #503 on: April 19, 2014, 12:12:25 PM »
Donations

When I was at the Children's Art Museum we had a found object art table the kids loved. We took all sorts of donations but they had to be kid safe
1. No glass
2. No chemical/cleaning containers
3. No Rx bottles
4. No knifes/Razors
5. No food containers still containing food.

We had this one woman that would bring all of the above and then complain to some board members when she saw me dumping her donations in the trash bin. I was told to go through and use everything possible. None of it was possible all of it was on the no list. Not to mention the bugs.

It stopped after someone got hurt - thankfully that was me not a kid. I reached in trying to sort through the bag and got peanut butter smeared all over my hand. Dad had been put on the board a couple of years after I was hired. They happen to be having a board meeting that day. I called and told them to a) Get Dad out of the board meeting to take me to the ER b) send someone from the main museum to help my assistant because it was summer and Free Tuesday. A board member who was a Mom of young kids came over to help. She apparently took pictures and put her foot down about the inappropriate donations both to the board and to the woman leaving the trash. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2014, 01:28:11 PM »

It stopped after someone got hurt - thankfully that was me not a kid. I reached in trying to sort through the bag and got peanut butter smeared all over my hand. Dad had been put on the board a couple of years after I was hired. They happen to be having a board meeting that day. I called and told them to a) Get Dad out of the board meeting to take me to the ER b) send someone from the main museum to help my assistant because it was summer and Free Tuesday. A board member who was a Mom of young kids came over to help. She apparently took pictures and put her foot down about the inappropriate donations both to the board and to the woman leaving the trash.

Yuck.  Why weren't you wearing gloves? I'm not allergic to anything, but I don't think I'd be sorting trash without some sort of protection.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:28 PM »

Yuck.  Why weren't you wearing gloves? I'm not allergic to anything, but I don't think I'd be sorting trash without some sort of protection.

Because it was "donations" not trash, possibly?  And if she treated it like trash, she'd get more flack.  At least, that's how I'm reading the situation.  At least it stopped after that.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »

Because it was "donations" not trash, possibly?  And if she treated it like trash, she'd get more flack.  At least, that's how I'm reading the situation.  At least it stopped after that.

Yeah but with a severe allergy I wouldn't go through donations either without wearing gloves.  And clearly some of it was trash if peanut butter was just smeared on something. 

AngelicGamer

« Reply #507 on: April 19, 2014, 03:27:03 PM »

Yeah but with a severe allergy I wouldn't go through donations either without wearing gloves.  And clearly some of it was trash if peanut butter was just smeared on something.

You make a good point.  I don't know if I would remember to put on gloves due to having a major allergy if I wasn't expecting to find it in a donation bag.  I hope kherbert05 comes back and tells us.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »

You make a good point.  I don't know if I would remember to put on gloves due to having a major allergy if I wasn't expecting to find it in a donation bag.  I hope kherbert05 comes back and tells us.  :)

I don't know if I was allergic to a food product and was looking though donated art supplies(I'm thinking paper rolls ,tissue boxes buttons , magazines for collages type stuff ?) with the specific exclusion "no food containers" I may not wear gloves.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #509 on: April 19, 2014, 03:58:48 PM »

I don't know if I was allergic to a food product and was looking though donated art supplies(I'm thinking paper rolls ,tissue boxes buttons , magazines for collages type stuff ?) with the specific exclusion "no food containers" I may not wear gloves.

But this was an ongoing problem with this donor. If I know a person consistently breaks the rules about donating and I have a life threatening allergy, you bet I'd be wearing gloves! And a mask! And disposable clothing! (okay, maybe not that far, but you can bet I'd be wearing some sort of protection)