Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 70029 times)

SoCalVal

Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #510 on: April 19, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »

It stopped after someone got hurt - thankfully that was me not a kid. I reached in trying to sort through the bag and got peanut butter smeared all over my hand. Dad had been put on the board a couple of years after I was hired. They happen to be having a board meeting that day. I called and told them to a) Get Dad out of the board meeting to take me to the ER b) send someone from the main museum to help my assistant because it was summer and Free Tuesday. A board member who was a Mom of young kids came over to help. She apparently took pictures and put her foot down about the inappropriate donations both to the board and to the woman leaving the trash.

Yuck.  Why weren't you wearing gloves? I'm not allergic to anything, but I don't think I'd be sorting trash without some sort of protection.

Because it was "donations" not trash, possibly?  And if she treated it like trash, she'd get more flack.  At least, that's how I'm reading the situation.  At least it stopped after that.

Yeah but with a severe allergy I wouldn't go through donations either without wearing gloves.  And clearly some of it was trash if peanut butter was just smeared on something.

You make a good point.  I don't know if I would remember to put on gloves due to having a major allergy if I wasn't expecting to find it in a donation bag.  I hope kherbert05 comes back and tells us.  :)

I don't know if I was allergic to a food product and was looking though donated art supplies(I'm thinking paper rolls ,tissue boxes buttons , magazines for collages type stuff ?) with the specific exclusion "no food containers" I may not wear gloves.

But this was an ongoing problem with this donor. If I know a person consistently breaks the rules about donating and I have a life threatening allergy, you bet I'd be wearing gloves! And a mask! And disposable clothing! (okay, maybe not that far, but you can bet I'd be wearing some sort of protection)

I know from reading kherbert05's previous posts that she has spent a lifetime exercising extreme caution when protecting herself from possible situations that could trigger life-threatening allergic reactions so I'm just going to trust she had good reason for not expecting to have to do so in this case.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #511 on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:47 PM »
I have severe allergies, and I would wear gloves if I thought there was garbage or unwashed clothing in the bag, but I would not be expecting open food either. And if the bags were unmarked, no one would know which ones came from the 'problem' donor. I think a lot of charities would pitch them without opening if they could be sure of that.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #512 on: April 20, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »
I used to work in a library, and one task we sometimes had to do was to check the book drop bin every morning, collect all the books, and put them on a cart to take upstairs to be checked in.  One morning, I was scooping up books by the handful, as usual, when I realized that I had some sort of weird goopy stuff all over my hands.  It was all over the books, the book drop, etc.  I saw the bag of it, a large clear plastic bag leaking all over the place.

I'll mention that this was shortly after September 11th, 2001, and while all the anthrax scares were going on, with anthrax being sent to congressmen and such.

I was immediately sent to the bathroom to scrub, and somebody came to pick up the stuff and figure out what it was.  I had to get back to work, but my hands got red and itchy where I'd touched the stuff.  I have no allergies, zip, nada, zilch, so this was a disturbing sign.

What did it turn out to be?  Hand soap.  Concentrated hand soap.  Somebody had stolen it out of a gas station's bathroom, just taken the entire tube insert thing out, then tossed it into the book drop as vandalism.

Apparently, hand soap is concentrated enough that if you get a whole lot of it all over your hands, and it takes you a few minutes to get to the bathroom to wash it off, it will irritate your skin.  But that's all.  Whew.

However, I would *never* have thought to wear gloves while looking in the book drop.  And really I wouldn't have when looking through, say, a bag of donations intended for Goodwill, which is what I picture in the museum situation.  I'm picturing miscellaneous trinkets and things of that sort.  Of course, if containers still containing food, Rx bottles, and bottles of chemicals were sometimes appearing in donations, then maybe it would generally be a good idea with that particular donor!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #513 on: April 21, 2014, 01:15:59 AM »
"Found items" has always pretty much sounded like garbage to me (clean garbage, but still).   

CakeEater

« Reply #514 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:17 AM »
A friend stayed here this weekend. I had a giant pile of clean clothes to fold on the couch, which I was going to do while we watched a movie. So I came out from putting kids to bed, and friend had started folding.

I've discovered that I'm a bit fussy about folding - I fold bath towels differently to beach towels for a very practical reason which is boring to explain, I like to put things into piles according to how they go into cupboards, I know how the shirts need to be folded so they fit in the spaces in the kids' shelves etc.

So friend had folded all the towels into different shapes than I do, and made a huge pile with guest towels, bath towels and beach towels all in the same pile, shirts folded too small, kids clothes mixed into each others' piles etc. So much more effort to sort it all out than to have just done it myself in the first place.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #515 on: April 21, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
A friend stayed here this weekend. I had a giant pile of clean clothes to fold on the couch, which I was going to do while we watched a movie. So I came out from putting kids to bed, and friend had started folding.

I've discovered that I'm a bit fussy about folding - I fold bath towels differently to beach towels for a very practical reason which is boring to explain, I like to put things into piles according to how they go into cupboards, I know how the shirts need to be folded so they fit in the spaces in the kids' shelves etc.

So friend had folded all the towels into different shapes than I do, and made a huge pile with guest towels, bath towels and beach towels all in the same pile, shirts folded too small, kids clothes mixed into each others' piles etc. So much more effort to sort it all out than to have just done it myself in the first place.

I know exactly how you feel! I'm the same way about my laundry. I keep thinking I am in SOOO much trouble if i am ever not able to do mine and have to have someone help me. I'm fussy about my detergent, what goes in the dryer, for how long, how much soap I use (next to none) and so on. I would drive someone nuts if they had to help me since its not just "dump in the washer and put some soap in"

CakeEater

« Reply #516 on: April 21, 2014, 09:50:21 AM »

I know exactly how you feel! I'm the same way about my laundry. I keep thinking I am in SOOO much trouble if i am ever not able to do mine and have to have someone help me. I'm fussy about my detergent, what goes in the dryer, for how long, how much soap I use (next to none) and so on. I would drive someone nuts if they had to help me since its not just "dump in the washer and put some soap in"

I always find it funny that advice for helping new mothers/people recovering for surgery/elderly relations often includes, 'Put a load of washing in, or fold a basket of laundry.' I always (internally) scream at the computer, 'But how would I know how small to fold the tea towels?!'

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #517 on: April 21, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »

I always find it funny that advice for helping new mothers/people recovering for surgery/elderly relations often includes, 'Put a load of washing in, or fold a basket of laundry.' I always (internally) scream at the computer, 'But how would I know how small to fold the tea towels?!'

I think that would be an interesting poll. Because as long as the clothes and towels fit where they need to fit I really don't care how they are folded. I do have my own preference but if someone else comes along and does them for me I am fine if they do it there way as long as they are all where they need to be when all is said and done. Makes me wonder how many people are like me and how many like you. Maybe an even split?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #518 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »
There are some things that I wouldn't care how someone did for me but folding my laundry?  Is not one of them.  Almost all of my things are folded a very specific way and I would not deal very well with them being folded a different way.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Vall

« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2014, 10:53:21 AM »
When DH and I were dating, I went to the laundromat with him for the first time.  When I tried to help him fold the clothes, he told me that he'd rather just have the company since he was picky about the way things were folded (ex-military).  So I just kept him company.

We've been together ever since and I haven't done a load of laundry in 10 years.  I've never used our washing machine but in a pinch, I could probably figure it out.  I don't really care how things are folded but he does.  If someone tried to help him and folded things "wrong", he'd re-fold it but he'd be good at telling people to please not help him.

jane7166

« Reply #520 on: April 21, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »
A friend who was on bed rest during a pregnancy crisis told me she had no idea there were that many ways to fold towels.  I and her other friends who came over daily each had our own special way, apparently. 

Asharah

« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
Read a story once where Mom got on teenaged son for the way he was folding his T-shirts, Argument ended with teen rumpling shirt in a ball and storming off. Moral of the story, if you have a teenaged son who is actually willing to fold his own clothes, shut your trap and let him fold them anyway he darn well pleases.  ;D :D
Asharah

Shalamar

« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »
That reminds me of when I was helping my mum put away laundry when I was a teenager, and she stopped me as I was putting away some of Dad's socks.  "Um, your dad likes his socks done THIS way, not that way."  I was all "... you're kidding, right?  They're SOCKS."

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2014, 01:01:20 PM »
My husband and I have different ideas about how clothes should be folded.  The compromise is, I fold my clothes my way and his clothes his way.  The kids fold their own and I couldn't care less as long as the right clothes go in the right drawer (which they don't always).  I fold the towels a certain way, but when my MIL comes for a visit and folds them another way, I'm too busy singing praises for her help to care.  My folding style is more of a preference.  Not that I think anything's wrong with being picky, as I am in other things, folding's just not one of them.  Toilet paper?  Goes OVER THE TOP.  <grin>

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
What's this "folding" of which you speak?   :P

(I got sick of DH unfolding half his shirts to hang them in the closet - I still can't tell what criteria he uses to determine whether a shirt goes in the closet or the dresser.  So now he gets a basket of loose shirts and he can fold them however he ding-dangety well pleases.)