Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 71562 times)

StarFaerie

Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
I'm a little odd in that I like cheese when it's started to get a bit dried out and hard, especially Swiss cheese.   My husband knows this, and yet ...

Me:   Where's that piece of Swiss cheese that was in the fridge?
Husband:   *virtuously*.  It was getting dried out, so I ate it.
Me:   But I LIKE dried out cheese!
Husband:   Oh.   Right.

I don't quite understand this. What's bad about eating it? Isn't that what it's there for and what you were going to do with it?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »
I'm a little odd in that I like cheese when it's started to get a bit dried out and hard, especially Swiss cheese.   My husband knows this, and yet ...

Oh, that reminds me!

I love those "cigarette" cookies--the rolled up crisp cookies with the cream in the middle. Friends of ours lived near a bakery that made their own, and they were SWOONY!!

So for my b'day, they bought me a box. Many of them. I was carefully working my way through them, savoring every one and keeping an eye out for them not tasting as good. They were lasting just fine, and I was down to about 8. I come in the kitchen and there are TWO!!!

"What happened to my cookies?" I asked. "Oh," says my husband, they've been there a while so I was helping you eat them up."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »

I don't quite understand this. What's bad about eating it? Isn't that what it's there for and what you were going to do with it?

He didn't eat it because he actually wanted it. If he'd said, "Oh, yes, I love it when it gets dried out, so I ate it," or if he'd said, "I was having spaghetti and wanted grated cheese, and I used it up," it would have been fine. Sad for the OP, of course, but hey, he's entitled to eat the cheese.

However, he only ate it because he thought it could "clean out" the fridge and was being helpful. However, he forgot that he was eating someone else's treat.

StarFaerie

« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »

He didn't eat it because he actually wanted it. If he'd said, "Oh, yes, I love it when it gets dried out, so I ate it," or if he'd said, "I was having spaghetti and wanted grated cheese, and I used it up," it would have been fine. Sad for the OP, of course, but hey, he's entitled to eat the cheese.

However, he only ate it because he thought it could "clean out" the fridge and was being helpful. However, he forgot that he was eating someone else's treat.

Ah, that makes more sense then. Thanks :)

alkira6

« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »
Yeah, we quickly had to come to an agreement about my stale peeps. He gets his and eats them soft. I poke a hole in mine and a few weeks later I get a crunchy treat.  Throwing away the peeps with holes in the package is not an option.   ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2014, 11:10:33 PM »
Yeah, we quickly had to come to an agreement about my stale peeps. He gets his and eats them soft. I poke a hole in mine and a few weeks later I get a crunchy treat.  Throwing away the peeps with holes in the package is not an option.   ;D

My grandmother buys them in the post-Easter sales, pokes holes in the boxes, and saves them for the NEXT Easter.

I don't like mine quite that stale  :P

Vall

« Reply #366 on: March 29, 2014, 11:25:12 PM »
I'm going to tell on myself.  When I was single, I paid a friend of mine to clean my apartment for me.  She was great and the arrangement worked out well.  One day, I was home when she came over to clean.  I thought I'd help her out by cleaning the bathroom.  I sprayed everything in the bathroom (including the tiled walls) with the little scrubbing bubbles stuff and tried to wipe it down.  But I needed to rinse it.  So I took the shower massager and turned it on high (the water pressure was incredible in that apartment) and tried to quickly rinse the walls and everything.

My friend comes to the bathroom to see me and everything else drenched in water with the water coming out of the bathroom.  I promised not to help her anymore.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #367 on: March 30, 2014, 04:48:42 AM »

I had to Google "peeps" -- unknown to a Brit, in this context (I learn that they are marshmallow candies made in the shape of various creatures).  First thing that had come to my mind, was the cutesy abbreviation for "people" ("Hi, peeps, how are you doing?" etc.).  Heaven help me, notions of cannibalism were floating into my mind...

alkira6

« Reply #368 on: March 30, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »

I had to Google "peeps" -- unknown to a Brit, in this context (I learn that they are marshmallow candies made in the shape of various creatures).  First thing that had come to my mind, was the cutesy abbreviation for "people" ("Hi, peeps, how are you doing?" etc.).  Heaven help me, notions of cannibalism were floating into my mind...

My post take on an entirely new meaning now.  I like this.

Shalamar

« Reply #369 on: March 30, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
Yeah, what TootsNYC said.   My husband forgot that I loved dried up cheese and thought he was doing me a favour by eating it.   :)

XRogue

« Reply #370 on: March 31, 2014, 11:30:26 AM »
Ex-mil used to try to help me in the kitchen by doing dishes. Fine as far as washing up, but she kept putting things on the top shelf....I am 5 feet tall. Not going to work. I convinced her to just leave things to dry and let me put them away, finally.

Just in time for me to ban her from ever stepping foot in my kitchen again...because she tried to put my antique cast iron frying pan in the dishwasher. Said frying pan was given to me because it belonged to my maternal grandmother, who I was very close to before she passed. MIL's excuse was "it's all black and grungy!", then, " Well I just don't know how to use cast iron." (that was a deliberate lie)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #371 on: March 31, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »
In my family we all help wash up after dinner - in shifts. We always leave the dishes, glasses and all stacked neatly on a table for the host to put way were they want.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #372 on: March 31, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
Today I moved the kitchen trash can into the adjoining office so that I could do some spring cleaning out with one of the closets there.  I heard the scraping of something moving across the floor and turned around to see Littlest Pirate had moved it back to where it was.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cherry91

« Reply #373 on: April 01, 2014, 05:54:48 AM »
This is admittedly a very small thing, but my mother often gives me advice about my current appearance when I'm going out. Most common ones are whether or not I'm wearing makeup, the state of my hair, etc.

This would be fine, if not for the fact that 99% of the time, her chosen moment to give me this advice is as I announce I'm leaving. No matter how many times she's seen me as I was getting ready. And then of course I get frustrated because I'm either going to have her annoyed at me when I get back or I'm now going to be late, so I can't win.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #374 on: April 01, 2014, 07:04:26 AM »
That reminds me, my mother took me to a Clinique counter when I was a preteen and was interested in makeup but didn't know how to put it on.  They sold us a bunch of skin care products, but also the woman showed me how to apply it but I really did NOT like the look.  Seriously, anytime I've ever had a Clinique makeover I walk away from the counter wearing a lot more makeup than I usually do and feeling like I ought to be picking out a corner to stand on, if you catch my drift.

I had wanted to get some idea for how to get a simple look, so that it would seem like I was barely wearing anything.  Some days all I wear for makeup is foundation, blush and tinted gloss and some shadow.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata