Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 65998 times)

HGolightly

Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #405 on: April 02, 2014, 10:21:43 PM »
I will keep this vague as the results were pretty gross.  My dd decided to help me with my chores the other night. She used the water from the toilet. I will say it is very clean now as I redid her cleaning job with bleach and followed up with some Mrs Meyers.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2014, 10:33:06 AM »
I had a few "stop helping me" moments recently while moving--two different people, same "help." Each of these two gentlemen was helping me carry a piece of furniture into the apartment (not at the same time--on two different days). Both asked where I wanted the piece; I said "we'll just put it inside the living room door" and explained that I had some items still on the floor between the door and the room the furniture was eventually going to. I further explained that I would move it the rest of the way myself when I had the way clear.

Well, both guys decided to be extra help, wrested the furniture away when I tried to put it down, and tried to carry it further into the house. One of them stepped on a ceramic dish and chipped it (I mean, of course, a dish should not have been there, but that's why I didn't want to carry the piece further in!). The other sat the furniture on one of my shoes and then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't sit flat.  ;D

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »

5. I nearly stepped on this (Don't click if you don't like reptiles with fangs. Family is debating if it is a cottonmouth or rattler yes. This was taken after I jumped back about 5 feet and I used the zoom) 30 min ago at the farm.

Did you ever get it definitively ID'd?
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

knitwicca

« Reply #408 on: April 03, 2014, 01:29:41 PM »
(BG: I have been knitting since I was 8 years old. I design and hand-knit the majority of my tops and prefer natural fibers. Natural = hand-painted alpaca, hand-spun mink, kettle-dyed Chilean wools)

Several years ago the now-ex had a severe health crisis.  If I was not at work, I was at the hospital interacting with medical staff, signing paperwork, etc
My adult daughter offered to do my laundry and took it to her home....while her in-laws were visiting. DD knows what can and cannot be washed. All hand-knits must be hand-washed. Regardless of style, design or color.

DD went to pick her son up after school and stop at the hospital. Her MIL decided it would be a good time to "help" by putting all of my tops into HOT water in the washing machine then an even hotter temperature dryer.
What was recognizable was the size of a Barbie hat and the texture of plywood.  I sobbed for months each time I opened my dresser drawers.

Shalamar

« Reply #409 on: April 03, 2014, 01:43:08 PM »
Geez!  MIL should have at least offered to pay for replacement clothes.   >:(

Edited to add:  whoops, I forgot that they were handmade and therefore irreplaceable.  I'm so sorry!   :(

whatsanenigma

« Reply #410 on: April 03, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »

Edited to add:  whoops, I forgot that they were handmade and therefore irreplaceable.  I'm so sorry!   :(

Well, even though they were actually not replaceable, MIL still should have offered something.   No amount of money could have replaced the clothes but the offer should have been made-the MIL should have tried her best to fix her mistake.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #411 on: April 03, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

Well, even though they were actually not replaceable, MIL still should have offered something.   No amount of money could have replaced the clothes but the offer should have been made-the MIL should have tried her best to fix her mistake.

Exactly! And once she'd gotten the bill for the yarn & time involved, she would know better than to try that again!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #412 on: April 03, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »

5. I nearly stepped on this (Don't click if you don't like reptiles with fangs. Family is debating if it is a cottonmouth or rattler yes. This was taken after I jumped back about 5 feet and I used the zoom) 30 min ago at the farm.

Did you ever get it definitively ID'd?
I'm pretty sure it was a cotton Mouth. There was no rattle on the tail and the coloring is wrong for a copperhead. I've had poisonous snakes in the yard before as a kid. This was the closest I've ever come to being struck. If the hogs hadn't torn up the ground I wouldn't have been looking down. I saw the flash of white and fangs from the mouth. I jumped down hill to my left - which meant I had high grass and trees behind me and to both sides and the snake in front. I was able to pull  a stick from the tree (damaged from the drought) and use it to clear the grass around me.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #413 on: April 03, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »

Exactly! And once she'd gotten the bill for the yarn & time involved, she would know better than to try that again!

Custom made wool suits, dry clean only, that the dry cleaner ruined ONE piece of. 

They belonged to the seamstress.  Who was told that "homemade stuff" had no value and they weren't going to pay ANYTHING.  It was the only dry cleaner in the area...I forget if it was a rural area or if the seamstress did not drive & it was a pain in the asterisk to take much on public transit....

Her solution was to order a lot of "custom made" tags with a "designer name" on them.  It happened to be her maiden name...but she didn't tell the dry cleaner that.  The next time something got ruined (not frequent, but it was NOT stuff she could replace due to no more fabric and ruined the suit to have no jacket) - she pulled out the invoices that she used when sewing for hire (same "designer's name") and pointed to the price & the tag.  The dry cleaner paid, grumbling, but paid - and apparently started paying more attention to her "stuff" because it was expensive custom made stuff instead of cheap home made stuff.  Same clothes - just with a "custom made by XXXX" tag in it instead of tagless.

After reading that story about twenty years-four ago, I started sewing size tags & "made in USA" tags in clothes made for my niece & nephew - their mother didn't recognize the product line tag that I had made, but she no longer trashed things that were "home made".  After the divorce, she kept the "good stuff" at her house until the kids had outgrown it, but at least I could hope that they got to wear it when they were staying with her....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #414 on: April 03, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
^Those tags sound like something I should be doing with my costumes and hand made clothing. Seriously, some of that stuff would be impossible to replace due to the unique fabrics used. As for the claim that my hand made things had "no value", my response would be "We'll see what a lawyer has to say about that!"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2014, 08:57:10 PM »
I have seen tags in craft stores that sell labels (Hobby Lobby and JoAnne's) for garments and I think that's a great idea, really, with the invoices, too!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #416 on: April 04, 2014, 10:19:34 AM »
Mail order for names YOU have chosen - they screen print them or embroider/weave the letters in.  Costs a bit more - but - seriously, If you have custom made stuff that you want to be taken seriously by a dry cleaner...or my ex-SIL...it might be worth the cost to order two to five dozen...

I have also embroidered a "brand name" in the inside of the waistband - but it was clearly NOT a store bought tag - it was just going to be impossible to cut the tag off (individually ripping out every letter stitch by stitch takes TIME) - and the care instructions couldn't be "lost".

+++++

My best guess is that she was invoicing her clients, she just started invoicing herself, too.  It might also have been that her "business" wrote them off as "sample garments" or "design prototypes" - but not until after they had a dollar value assigned to them that a dry cleaner, coat check, or airline could be shown in the event that things were damaged or lost (stolen)...

Someone else was a knitter and an entire suitcase of sample garments went missing on her way to a photo op (publisher of the book) and knitting seminar where she was going to be teaching the new garments....she writes the instructions up from the finished garment (not as she knits). 

SOME of them showed up later in a Goodwill or similar charity thrift store...but not all of them.  I just wish I could remember where I saw the story - some of the sweaters (jumpers) were still missing at the time that I read the story.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:24:14 AM by VorFemme »

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #417 on: April 07, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Standing in the middle of the kitchen looking at the groceries I bought while I'm trying to put said groceries away isn't helping.  At all.

SCAJAfamily

« Reply #418 on: April 07, 2014, 04:07:32 PM »
Or pulling out the food you want to eat now and not putting anything else away while I am doing it.
SCAJAfamily = dd S 22, ds C 15, ds A 12, dh J and myself dw A

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2014, 04:17:03 PM »
I've heard of teenagers pulling out so much food to eat that Mom didn't spend nearly as much time putting food away as she'd expected.  Only to find that they had eaten all the stuff she'd brought home for a party and Mom had to go back to the store before her bridge (card game) party started - all the "snacks" were gone. 

She said it was much cheaper to bring it all in and put it away herself...because that way the "party" food got put into the "do not open at risk of serious bodily harm if Mom finds THIS stuff missing before the party" shelves instead of the "open season - snacks for hungry family members" shelves.  I think that she mentioned being Catholic and having eight children - so there was usually more than one shopping trip a week to the grocery store.  She did try to avoid having to make a trip every DAY, though.