Author Topic: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)  (Read 68400 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Stop helping me! (Share your stories)
« Reply #570 on: May 20, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »
I get phone calls, then DH drives himself. DS has only not been ready when I was leaving once.  >:D

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #571 on: May 20, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
Ya know how it is when you(general) have a plan, you're working the plan, things are just moving right along very smoothly.......kind of like sitting in a canoe and paddling down a slow moving, pretty river. Then some interloper rushes in 'to help' by trying to affix an outboard motor to the back of the canoe.  ???  >:(

OldestDD and her DH have 2 school-age children. DSIL's mother and I keep the grandkids every other week. Deb and I have been doing this for 3(?) years. We enjoy the week with the kids and the next week of no-kids. It's has worked out well for everyone!

DSIL came home on Sunday, and telling DSIL that his Dad said that Deb was not going to be keeping the kids anymore.

DD was very upset, she left a message on her in-laws answering machine giving her point of view, she called me to tell me about it.

When Deb listened to the messages, she got upset, and called DD saying she never said anything about not keeping the kids.

My take on it is that DD's in-laws are a devoted couple. Deb had a health problem that we are all aware of and watch to make sure she is okay. Deb's DH was concerned for her health and misunderstood our schedule-he thought she had the kids all day/everyday.

Anyway, DD talked with everyone and we're all good and are on the same page.

I called DD this morning and told her I guess her father-in-law was trying to put a motor on our canoe!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #572 on: May 20, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
Just like the whisper game.

My DH downloaded a software update (he always does) as soon as it came available and now that software doesn't work!

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #573 on: May 21, 2014, 08:08:22 AM »
*Bugs have since been taken care of, but we still had to rewash everything just in case.

I helped a friend move once, and although they had a truck and guys (another whole story in itself), I allowed her to put some of her stuff in the trunk of my car.  You know, there's always something that you don't want to trust to the moving folks. 
I should have known better.  Her apartment was infested with roaches, and within days, so was my car.  I had to roach-bomb my car!!  Then vacuum out the piles of dead bodies.   And there were PILES..... 
*shudder*      But the bomb worked, and my car was fine after that.

GreenHall

« Reply #574 on: May 21, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »
Off Topic - does anyone else get a mental image of an adult flailing like a toddler going 'Stop Helping Me!' everytime they see this topic? 

Just me?

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #575 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
Ya know how it is when you(general) have a plan, you're working the plan, things are just moving right along very smoothly.......kind of like sitting in a canoe and paddling down a slow moving, pretty river. Then some interloper rushes in 'to help' by trying to affix an outboard motor to the back of the canoe.  ???  >:(

OldestDD and her DH have 2 school-age children. DSIL's mother and I keep the grandkids every other week. Deb and I have been doing this for 3(?) years. We enjoy the week with the kids and the next week of no-kids. It's has worked out well for everyone!

DSIL came home on Sunday, and telling DSIL that his Dad said that Deb was not going to be keeping the kids anymore.

DD was very upset, she left a message on her in-laws answering machine giving her point of view, she called me to tell me about it.

When Deb listened to the messages, she got upset, and called DD saying she never said anything about not keeping the kids.

My take on it is that DD's in-laws are a devoted couple. Deb had a health problem that we are all aware of and watch to make sure she is okay. Deb's DH was concerned for her health and misunderstood our schedule-he thought she had the kids all day/everyday.

I called DD this morning and told her I guess her father-in-law was trying to put a motor on our canoe!

What a mess! I can't believe the man didn't talk to his own wife first, to ascertain what the actual babysitting schedule was and to make sure she was okay with stopping it. Wait, actually, I can believe that, because my dad does the same thing... Mainly on a smaller scale, but you'd never realize my parents lived in the same house sometimes due to the lack of communication.
~Lynn2000

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #576 on: May 21, 2014, 10:19:12 PM »
Ya know how it is when you(general) have a plan, you're working the plan, things are just moving right along very smoothly.......kind of like sitting in a canoe and paddling down a slow moving, pretty river. Then some interloper rushes in 'to help' by trying to affix an outboard motor to the back of the canoe.  ??? >:(

What a mess! I can't believe the man didn't talk to his own wife first, to ascertain what the actual babysitting schedule was and to make sure she was okay with stopping it. Wait, actually, I can believe that, because my dad does the same thing... Mainly on a smaller scale, but you'd never realize my parents lived in the same house sometimes due to the lack of communication.
It's entirely possible that the wife DID tell him, and he didn't listen or retain the information.

I have an offset screwdriver in the tool kit of my sewing machine.  It's the only way to get certain screws off to clean the machine.  Every time DH sees it, he starts complaining that I stole his offset screwdriver and why do I never put his tools back where they belong yap yap yap.  I tell him that it's not his screwdriver, that his is in his toolchest and this is MY screwdriver.  Every.  Blinkin'. Time.   >:(   I swear, I need to spraypaint the dingdangity thing pink or something. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #577 on: May 22, 2014, 03:52:24 AM »
Off Topic - does anyone else get a mental image of an adult flailing like a toddler going 'Stop Helping Me!' everytime they see this topic? 

Just me?

I go the other way: when my boys were small, there were few phrases that terrified me as much as 'I helping!' I just knew that whatever it was would take twice as long as normal and involve heavy cleaning afterwards.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #578 on: May 22, 2014, 01:09:08 PM »

I have an offset screwdriver in the tool kit of my sewing machine.  It's the only way to get certain screws off to clean the machine.  Every time DH sees it, he starts complaining that I stole his offset screwdriver and why do I never put his tools back where they belong yap yap yap.  I tell him that it's not his screwdriver, that his is in his toolchest and this is MY screwdriver.  Every.  Blinkin'. Time.   >:(   I swear, I need to spraypaint the dingdangity thing pink or something. 

A few bands of pink nail polish should do it.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

alkira6

« Reply #579 on: May 22, 2014, 02:13:44 PM »

A few bands of pink nail polish should do it.

Yup, my hex keys are sparkly purple in the middle.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #580 on: May 22, 2014, 03:28:43 PM »
I went to lunch. After parking at the restaurant, I noticed a distraught lady that was being consoled by a man. Two other ladies came out of the restaurant and both were staring at the crying lady and one walked up to her!

My mental voice was yelling, walk away, leave her alone.

The hostess told me later that the lady in question had just gotten a call that her father had died.  :'(