Wedding Bliss and Blues > Receptions

vegetarian menu

(1/4) > >>

lellah:
My family and my fiance's family and our good friends are chockfull of food restrictions: vegan, Halal, allergen-friendly, cardiac, diabetic, etc, etc, etc.  Miracle of miracles: We've found a caterer who can work with all those restrictions.  But the menu she's devised is vegetarian.  Think a nice variety of  hearty Middle Eastern foods rather than the limp noodles and red sauce or browning salads so many halls turn out for vegetarian fare.   For reasons to do with logistics (hello, Halal!) and money and every other thing, we will simply be unable to provide a meat option.  Which is fine with me: I'm the vegan.   >:D

But is this something we need to "warn" people about ahead of time?  I truly don't anticipate people will go hungry.  But I know there are "where's the prime rib?" people out there too. 

LadyL:
We put a link to our (vegan) caterer's website (which has a menu) on our wedding website. I'd also recommend having signs next to each dish that list the ingredients so if there are meat substitutes people know (some people are allergic to soy and it's easy to mistake tofu for something like chicken if it's cooked in sauce).

Kaymar:
Can I come to your wedding? :)  That sounds awesome.  I'm a former vegan/vegetarian, now occasional meat-eater, and that sounds great to me.  You know your guests best, though - if you know now that either side of the family or any of your friend groups tends to be more "meat and potatoes" or less than adventurous food-wise, then I'd mention it casually.  Not like "I'm warning you, we are serving crazy food!  No animal products!" but more like, "we found this great caterer!  blahblahblah Middle Eastern" so they can have the information to absorb before the day.

Surianne:

--- Quote from: LadyL on March 05, 2014, 04:44:07 PM ---We put a link to our (vegan) caterer's website (which has a menu) on our wedding website. I'd also recommend having signs next to each dish that list the ingredients so if there are meat substitutes people know (some people are allergic to soy and it's easy to mistake tofu for something like chicken if it's cooked in sauce).

--- End quote ---

I think this is a fantastic idea.  I'm a meat eater and a bit picky, so often the reason I don't take food at a vegetarian supper is because it's so hard to tell what's in the dish if you're not used to vegetarian cooking. 

I would feel so much more comfortable at a vegetarian wedding if I could a) look at the website in advance and google terms I don't know, or ask my vegetarian friends what a good "starter" food I might like is, and b) look at the signs next to dishes so I can try things that look tasty without any surprises. 

White Lotus:
Hurray!  As a veg, I like the idea of link to menu and ingredients.  Just because it fits one's dietary restrictions doesn't mean one is going to like it!  Not everyone likes everything! 
From a similar perspective, I don't know much about raw vegan cooking, and I have to tell you, I have no idea what it might taste like from a list of ingredients.  Every raw vegan event or restaurant I have ever been to has had wonderful food!  I'd like to experiment with preparing it, but it requires an investment in equipment that I don't want to make until I have serious time to devote to its use. 
I might just add a disclaimer that lists nutritional values (whine, wah, where's the PROTEIN, which is now a euphemism for chunk of meat) as well as ingredients, so they can see there is protein right there, and also that you have tasted everything and it is fabulous!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version