Author Topic: vegetarian menu  (Read 2878 times)

jmarvellous

Re: vegetarian menu
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
We did the exact same thing for our wedding (Mideast food, variety of diets with heavy emphasis on vegetarian/vegan), and we did not provide a menu in advance. We were sure to let people with restrictions know what was up, but since we personally knew all our guests (i.e., no parents' colleagues we've met once, or distant cousins!), it was pretty easy.

The one nut-allergic person was warned off the baklava, the vegans were told to steer clear of the spinach pie, and the gluten-free and vegan folks got cookies instead of cake.

People were nuts about the food, and those who weren't fans of a specific dish were able to take their pick,  since we did it buffet style.

In short: The less you worry, the less stressed you'll be about your wedding. Don't be afraid to not be afraid to serve your guests good food!

DavidH

Re: vegetarian menu
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »
i wouldn't think you need to warn people about the menu if you are providing an appropriate amount of food for the time of day and you think they'll enjoy it. 

In my opinion, if you think the food is so far from what they'll enjoy, then the solution is not to want people, but to provide something else.  Part of good hosting is planning an event you think the guests will enjoy, and that includes food they'll enjoy. 

Vegetarian and vegan food can be great or not, just like omnivore dishes.  In my experience, vegetarian and vegan dishes that aren't trying to mimic meat are better than those that try to be something they're not.  What I mean is that mushroom risotto is a great vegetarian or vegan dish since it doesn't need meat for flavor.  Some tofu concoction trying to be a roast beef is much more likely to be unsatisfying, since tofu and beef are just not the same.