Author Topic: The Office Thermostat (Update : #51 HVAC Repair on site)  (Read 8252 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: The Office Thermostat
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
Yes, I use a space heater I brought from home, but it isn't really allowed.  More like they turn a blind-eye to it. 
I work in a nice place and they know I just need to a warmer temp than most people.  In the summers I were wool jackets while at work,

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 12:15:15 PM »
OP, I understand that you don't want to pay for a space heater for your office, but if you look at it as being a matter of your comfort it might make more sense. $30 is less than a good sweater, and it's something that you can use every single day at work.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »
Electric chair massager with heating unit...the more heating elements the better.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

wyliefool

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
I have a space heater, 2 fans, and in my drawer a couple of t-shirts, 2 scarfs, and a pair of gloves. I used to keep a pair of shorts too but took them home to wash and they never made it back. Haven't really needed them.

Yes, the temp here varies quite a lot.

magicdomino

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 05:10:13 PM »
OP, have you brought in a thermometer to see what the temperature in your office really is?   A thermostat registers only the temperature where it is located.  The actual office temperatures can be all over the place, especially if walls were added or moved after the air ducts were installed.

DavidH

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »
Three separate things going on.

Temperature, I think that around 70 is a reasonable temperature in the winter.  75 is unusually warm and many places are closer to 68 to save on heating costs.  I think you could reasonably ask them to increase the thermostat to 70.

Needing to buy your own office supplies.  It's probably worth bringing this up with your boss, but totally separate from the thermostat.

Needing to buy a heater.  If you fix the first two, this solves itself.

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: The Office Thermostat (Major Update)
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »
The HVAC repairman is out today.  Apparently, the thermostat controlling the three offices closest to the one of the thermostats is broken.  (You can set temperatures, but nothing happens.)  So, they have been dropping the temperature at the other thermostat (which is for four offices, mine being the last (and the only 1 person office/ the others have multiple people in them) to subzero temperatures. 

The auditors were put in the empty office with the working thermostat for a week and I was completely comfortable that week. The men who were sweating kept going to HR about the broken thermostat not changing the temperature and 'no cool air coming down the hall'. The men in the offices managed by the broken thermostat were very uncomfortable.  Once the auditors left, that thermostat got dropped drastically and I was freezing again.  I hope when the HVAC repair is done, I'll be able to raise the temperature a bit by my office and get by with a sweater instead of being a refrigerator with a fan for the offices further down the hall!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

redboothe

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »
Space heater it will be. I just hate to waste my money! 

Perhaps not super useful but as someone who purchased her own space heater (the office has a few but it was always a fight to get one!) it helped to remember that this space heater was "mine" - I wasn't purchasing something for the office with my own money, I was purchasing something for me with my money. My space heater has moved offices and jobs with me, and also come home when we had an especially severe cold spell (my apartment is heated by a gas fireplace so it can get chilly) so the $30 has been well worth it!

missC

Re: The Office Thermostat (Update : #51 HVAC Repair on site)
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »
I had a similar situation in my last office. It was always freezing (a/c blowing even in winter) and many of us, customers included, complained over and over. Nothing was ever done and we were not ALLOWED to get a space heater, which I would have gladly done, as I was seated at a computer all day long as well. The people who were "burning up" were also the ones who were a) in charge (one manager in particular was the only one allowed to touch the thermostat) and b) the only ones allowed to roam around, and were always walking around somewhere (mainly to get coffee refills or bs in one another's offices where they had their OWN thermostats!

I feel somewhat whiny for complaining considering the deplorable conditions workers endure around the world, but this type of situation is just insane to me. I can't see how making people uncomfortable is justifiable.