Author Topic: Micromanager, Control Freak or Both? – Episode 2  (Read 2493 times)

DollyPond

Micromanager, Control Freak or Both? – Episode 2
« on: April 26, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »
This may get a bit complicated but I will try to make it as simple as possible and it relates to Yarnspinner's description of Stonecold wanting to be the ultimate decision-maker for everything even though she's MIA most of the time.

Yesterday someone from another department within our institution contacted me saying they needed an emergency supply of Item X.  We had 9 units of Item X and so I agreed to send one to them.  I did not ask Director or Associate Director for permission (this was my mistake) because:
A) neither was at work yesterday
B) the item is not critical for our operation and
C) helping out another department, to me, the right thing to do.

Well it turns out that ultimate destination for the item was not the other department in our institution but a rival company whom Director hates.  I had no way of knowing this.  Ultimately 4 people in our group were involved in the transaction some of whom spoke directly with rival company (I never did).

The final decision of the other 3 people involved was to “pretend it did not happen” and say nothing of the event to Director. 

My concern is what to do if Director does eventually find out. I can see her throwing a tantrum because we actually helped rival company and did not treat them like pariahs in their time of need.  My (truthful) story would be that I did not know the item was for rival company until well after the fact.

Any thoughts on what to do will be helpful.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Micromanager, Control Freak or Both? – Episode 2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »
I would just say, in as off-hand a way as possible, "Director, so-and-so asked me for a widget, and since we had 9, I sent them one."

And leave it at that. Then she knows about the widget being gone, and maybe she'll figure that's all she needs to know, and she doesn't need to inquire further. If she gets blindsided by the missing widget, she may go digging.

And--rival company? She doesn't need to hate them to be right in objecting to the sending of your organization's assets/supplies over to a rival organization!!

I might actually sic her on it, to be honest: "Director, Person Y in Dept. Y asked me for a widget, so I sent them one, since we had 9. Then, because I was on the email chain, I found out that it wasn't for Dept. Y to use, the way I thought. They sent it to Hated Rival Company. I thought you should know."

It'll keep her from being mad at you, that's for sure.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:19:50 AM »

And--rival company? She doesn't need to hate them to be right in objecting to the sending of your organization's assets/supplies over to a rival organization!!

Yeah, I agree.  Also, did the rival company reimburse your company for the widget?  If not, would it count as theft?  If they didn't reimburse you, you might be obligated to report it anyway.

And if anyone asks for supplies from now on, I'd make sure they're for your own company and not somewhere else entirely.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 02:35:41 PM »
I would just say, in as off-hand a way as possible, "Director, so-and-so asked me for a widget, and since we had 9, I sent them one."

And leave it at that. Then she knows about the widget being gone, and maybe she'll figure that's all she needs to know, and she doesn't need to inquire further. If she gets blindsided by the missing widget, she may go digging.

I might actually sic her on it, to be honest: "Director, Person Y in Dept. Y asked me for a widget, so I sent them one, since we had 9. Then, because I was on the email chain, I found out that it wasn't for Dept. Y to use, the way I thought. They sent it to Hated Rival Company. I thought you should know."

It'll keep her from being mad at you, that's for sure.

I agree with the bolded and I would add "She didn't tell me that she intended to pass the widget on to Competitor and I absolutely wouldn't have given her the widget if she had been upfront about that."

As to whether or not you should broach the subject with Director or wait to see if she finds out on her own, well, how big a risk is that to your job? If she'd be mad and get over it I'd lay low. If you could get written up or something similarly serious, I'd take it to her. The other employees might be upset with you but you need to watch your own back. Besides, they were the ones who were dishonest to begin with and backed you into this corner.

sweetonsno

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:41:47 PM »
As for what you should do right now, I'd simply pretend that Rival Company wasn't the eventual recipient. What if you'd just sent over a widget and it stayed in the other department? Submit (or request) whatever paperwork is associated with a transfer of materials. If no such policy exists, then I'd just send a heads-up email in which you explain that Department Y requested an Item X and so you gave them one out of your department's stock of nine. I think it's pretty normal to let your boss know that an item will be missing or moved upon their return to the office.

purple

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »
You say that you're worried about what to do if "Director does eventually find out".  Don't sweat it, for now.

You are causing yourself anxiety over something that hasn't happened and it may not happen.  Cross the bridge if you come to it.

It sounds like all you need to do is tell the truth anyway - "other department asked me for a widget and I sent one".

YummyMummy66

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
Would you normally have to ask Director or Associate Director to give another department a widget before doing so?

If not, and they trust your judgement and I think you are fine. 

If you normally have to ask their permission, I would have stated as such to person requesting the widget.  "Sorry, So and So is not here today and only they can authorize the transfer of this widget". 

Anyhoo, you did not know who widget was going to.   Do the people who requested widget know who it was going to?  Why would you send one of your products to a rival company in the first place?

I am assuming you have to keep track of where widgets go to.  You did your part in sending it to department that asked.  You did not know why they asked.  If Director asks, I would be honest.  Explain everything you stated to us.  She/he cannot fault you for something you did not know about, unless, you did not have permission to give widget to anyone else.  That is the only fault that should lie with you.  Not where it was sent or who it went to.

DollyPond

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
Dear All,

Thanks for the advice.  I will see what happens tomorrow and update if anything major occurs.

To clarify a few points:

We are under new directorship as our previous Director of 15 years passed away a year ago.  Under former Director this would have been a "no-brainer".  He would have said go ahead and give them the widget, you don't need to ask ahead of time and he would not have even expected a replacement.

New Director, on the other hand, is inconsistent at best.  If it were for another department in the institution she may have wanted someone to ask or maybe not - you never know from one day to the next.  The "rival company" is not really a rival to anyone but her since someone there rubbed her the wrong way a few years ago.  Yes, she holds grudges like that. I do not keep tabs on who she is angry with from day to day.

So my current plan is to lay low and not say anything.  If it becomes an issue I will give my truthful answer of not knowing it was for Company X and being misled into thinking it was for Other Department.  I will not throw my other co-workers under the bus for their actions.